So do the results mean that Knoxville Soccer Rules?

rigger101

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fact is, the two best teams in TN history are from the middle(TNFC 88 and 90).

AGREED, nd thats all that matters, these two teams have given TN soccer more recognition than all the other teams combined (along with tn '90 odp)

hahah..yes alexander..TNFC 90 will do better then they have before(hopefully) and i dont see TNFC 88's going as far..but i see them advancing to the quarters..mayb the semis...

GOOD LUCK to those squads and i hope the best for all the other squads who prob wont advance in regionals!!

Edited by bhs120

Talked to Brandon Tarr today, and I believe he will be playing with his TNFC team for states before he leaves for California. So, kind of a mixture of Knoxville and Nashville!

BUT, I think this whole thread originated about highschool soccer. As a whole, Tennessee soccer has improved state wide. I look forward to next season already!

Edited by BigGExpress

Talked to Brandon Tarr today, and I believe he will be playing with his TNFC team for states before he leaves for California. So, kind of a mixture of Knoxville and Nashville!

BUT, I think this whole thread originated about highschool soccer. As a whole, Tennessee soccer has improved state wide. I look forward to next season already!

haha this is true, i'm a little confused about the arguing that is going on, i mean honestly we should be all pulling together instead of tearing each other apart because trust me i know...when you get outside of TN soccer you have about as much respect as an ant has, no joke, nobody cares that you are from TN. so we should all be excited about the advancement of TN soccer as a whole, not as your defferent little regions, as for me i could care less what region dominates

hahah..yes alexander..TNFC 90 will do better then they have before(hopefully) and i dont see TNFC 88's going as far..but i see them advancing to the quarters..mayb the semis...

GOOD LUCK to those squads and i hope the best for all the other squads who prob wont advance in regionals!!

how do you not see the 88's returning to the finals again? same team they were last year when they made finals and lost to the eventual national champion. that dallas texans team is gonna be very, very tough to beat. but i can see the 88's making it back to the finals. good luck to dustin,wade and the 88's at regionals.

how do you not see the 88's returning to the finals again? same team they were last year when they made finals and lost to the eventual national champion. that dallas texans team is gonna be very, very tough to beat. but i can see the 88's making it back to the finals. good luck to dustin,wade and the 88's at regionals.

its actually quite simple other teams get better and gain more players. also the target on thier back just got a whole lot bigger after last sesons great preformance, now im not saying that they will lose every game im just saying it will be a lot harder for them to make it to the finals again

fact is, the two best teams in TN history are from the middle(TNFC 88 and 90).

AGREED, nd thats all that matters, these two teams have given TN soccer more recognition than all the other teams combined (along with tn '90 odp)

I disagree. In my opinion--and the opinion of a lot of college coaches---the top two teams in Tennessee for the last 10 years were the Rangers '84 from Memphis and the Diadora Impact '86 from Knoxville. I'd place the TnFC '88 team in the same league with the other two, especially if they win next weekend---and I think they will. Not so sure about the TnFC'90s. The other two teams that stand out to me from this era are the Smoky Mountain Select '82 and the Smoky Mountain Arsenal '84--the Rangers' principal rival. From U-12 to U-19 only the Rangers or the Arsenal won States. With the Impact, after they lost the State Final in 2001 (to a TnFC team, 1-0), they never lost again to any Tennessee team until they disbanded after winning their fourth title as U-18s three years later. Select '82 had a similar run of success.

Overall, Tennessee soccer has improved alot in the last 10 years. It should continue to get better as long as adult organizers and coaches continue to keep player development as their top priority. It wasn't always so.

I disagree. In my opinion--and the opinion of a lot of college coaches---the top two teams in Tennessee for the last 10 years were the Rangers '84 from Memphis and the Diadora Impact '86 from Knoxville. I'd place the TnFC '88 team in the same league with the other two, especially if they win next weekend---and I think they will. Not so sure about the TnFC'90s. The other two teams that stand out to me from this era are the Smoky Mountain Select '82 and the Smoky Mountain Arsenal '84--the Rangers' principal rival. From U-12 to U-19 only the Rangers or the Arsenal won States. With the Impact, after they lost the State Final in 2001 (to a TnFC team, 1-0), they never lost again to any Tennessee team until they disbanded after winning their fourth title as U-18s three years later. Select '82 had a similar run of success.

Overall, Tennessee soccer has improved alot in the last 10 years. It should continue to get better as long as adult organizers and coaches continue to keep player development as their top priority. It wasn't always so.

well if you are looking at the number of times a team has won state then tnfc 90, who if they were to win this weekend they would have won it 5 out of the last 6 years would have to be towards the top of the list, and to go allong with their state championships you have to look how they have competed against competition out side of the state of tennessee against teams at regionals, which they have been to two years in a row

seriously, Knoxville needs to hit up ONE club, not be spread around the city and such with three or four clubs. There are only benefits from this, i can not think of a downside. Sometimes teams do not have fields because some fields are being used by other clubs, if there was one club then field times could be arranged.

Also, in the year of 88' if all the talent of Knoxville came together we could put up a great match for TNFC, and i mean a run for the title.

I do not know so much about other age groups, but i definitely feel it is about time people get over their petty differences and decide to do this right.

Who's with me?

i think we should start a petition or something, there are enough good coaches willing to coach as well.

seriously, Knoxville needs to hit up ONE club, not be spread around the city and such with three or four clubs. There are only benefits from this, i can not think of a downside. Sometimes teams do not have fields because some fields are being used by other clubs, if there was one club then field times could be arranged.

Also, in the year of 88' if all the talent of Knoxville came together we could put up a great match for TNFC, and i mean a run for the title.

I do not know so much about other age groups, but i definitely feel it is about time people get over their petty differences and decide to do this right.

Who's with me?

i think we should start a petition or something, there are enough good coaches willing to coach as well.

So what happens to the guys who are not on the one team's roster of 18 (which is still a big roster)? Yeah, its great if you are one of those 18, but if not? One of the benefits of having several teams is that more guys get to play on decent teams. Clubs are folding right and left, an a lot of players are finding themselves without a team.

Who's with me?

You are correct, although I strongly believe multiple teams at lower ages is very necessary for player development. Tennessee has coaches capable of developing competitive teams but, for the most part, the players are too spread out in the older age groups.

Examples: When the '84 Warriors and the '84 Arsenal merged after the Warriors lost in the U-14 and U-15 State Finals to the Rangers '84, the newly merged team SMSC Arsenal '84 immediately won the next (U-16) championship. Rangers '84 had players from all around Memphis and as far away as Jackson, Tn and, I think, even a few kids from Mississippi played for them. When the Warriors '86 and Laser '86 merged after the Warriors '86 won the U-14 championship in 2000, the new Diadora Impact '86 lost in the next (U-15) finals to TnFC and then never lost to a Tennessee team again while winning the next 3 state championships. The team disbanded to go to college after winning U-18. Player combinations definitely work. All of these combined teams were ranked in the National top 20 when they were playing as juniors and seniors and all had multiple players go on in college. At least three players from the '84 teams are now playing professionally and that is saying alot for kids from Tennessee.

Knoxville's population is way too small to successfully field multiple DI teams past the age of U-14, if you define success as winning State championships, competing in the USYSA Premier League and being competitive at top level tournaments. If success is defined as having lots of teams participating, but not winning, in DI competition, mergers are unnecessary. Memphis and Nashville are much larger than Knoxville and still only succeed when players from multiple teams combine and play together. TnFC '88 players don't exactly all live in the same neighborhood. They are from all over.

Maybe the new NIKE Impact Elite formula will work. A multi-city club with an Elite top level team to be formed in each age group from the best players in the club, regardless of location. This is the only way to compete with regional clubs like CASL, the Atlanta Silverbacks, etc. and the National powers like FC Delco, Chicago Magic, Reston, DC United etc. Those teams typically have some players who commute from hundreds of miles away, just to play at the elite level. It is tough for a local team from West Knoxville, Franklin , Chattanooga, Germantown or any other town in Tennessee to compete at that level without combinations of players.