Maryville vs Alcoa '06

GovMan

Well, it's 58 days away ... the "clash of the Titans" ... Maryville vs Alcoa. Game is at Maryville this year. Last year, many thought Alcoa had a chance, but Tornadoes read too many of their own press clippings and ran into a buzz saw. This year, Alcoa is still loaded, under new head coaching and who knows? Maybe Maryville comes in a little overconfident, not taking quite as seriously or feeling quite as "challenged" as they felt last year.

Who thinks Maryville wins in a landslide?

Who thinks Alcoa pulls the stunner?

Who thinks it could be a close game that comes down to the fourth quarter?

Just trying to keep the boards interesting here in the dog days of summer. I'm tired of the Maryville and 5A thread.

:lol::lol::huh::D:D

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Govman

The worst thing to happen to Alcoa last year was all of the press that they got. All these people saying that Alcoa was going to win fired up Maryville. I will have to admit that I thought Maryville would win but it would be hard. I was predicting a 24-21 score. I never thought Maryville would win like they did last year.

I was worried that Maryville would think Alcoa would be an easy win this coming season. But! With Gary Rankin coaching at Alcoa I believe Maryville will take them very serious. Last year and 2001 Maryville took the Alcoa game like it was a state title game.

Alcoa will still be tough. I think they have a great shot of winning the 2A title again. I believe that Maryville will be too tough for Alcoa again. Maryville will be so explosive on offense. Maryville has great skill players. This will probably be the best set of receivers ever at Maryville. Running backs are 4 strong with Adrian Baker,Ryan Singleton,Cody McCoy and Thomas Shuler. Derek Hunt and Brent Burnett are proven quarterbacks.

Alcoa scares me though because they still have some great athletes. Brian Summer,Along with Maryville's Aaron Douglas will be one of the top juniors in the state. Rae Sykes,Kyrus Lankster,Chris Shiverdecker and Bart Hicks are outstanding. The guy who scares me will be Randall Cobb. He will give Alcoa a dimention that they haven't had in awhile.

Maryville will have to get by teams like Central,Powell,Knox West,MOWest,Cleveland,Red Bank,Sulivan South and Rhea County before they can even think about Murfreesboro.

I hate to bring this up. Maryville has a great shot of going to Murfreesboro. But! They won't have the depth that they enjoyed in 2002 and 2004. Maryville overcame key injuries in 2002 and still won state. That team was so loaded. Any key injuries to this team will be devastating.

I'm looking for a good game.

Both teams have 3 starters to replace on the O-line. I have faith that Coach Ellis will have Maryville's O-line ready to go and I'm sure Alcoa will be ready too. Both teams lose a key RB, but have very good replacements in line that have played a lot of football. Both teams have very good receivers. Alcoa has Lanxter and Brian Sommer and Maryville may have one of their best groups ever with Maples, Shiver, Reisser, Clendenen, Jordan etc. and a huge target at TE in Aaron Douglas. Maryville returns both QB's (Hunt and Burnette), while Alcoa has a new, but talented player under center in Randall Cobb.

Defensively, both teams have to replace a majority of the DL, but both teams have stud DE's in Sykes and Wood. Alcoa has a tremendous player in Hicks at LB and Maryville returns tough Tanner Caylor and Blue Cross Bowl defensive MVP Landon "Cowboy" Hall. Both secondaries are loaded as Alcoa has Lanxter, Sommer, and Alex Green, while Maryville counters with Maples, Shiver, Clement, Clendenen etc.

I don't know about Alcoa's kickers, but Maryville returns one of their all-time best in Takayuki Koyano.

Edited by STARSNBARS

I see this game as one with great hype, like last year. But maybe the Alcoa faithful have become believers, that MHS is a real football power and not just fluff and press. It's a shame the Blount County area does not have a paper with a quality sports department to denote the difference. The one big difference this year is a head coaching change. Coach Rankin is one of the best and understands the difference between hype and ability. Alcoa touted their best team ever last year and Maryville could have pounded them by 50 points or more if GQ had not called off the dogs during the third quarter. Humbleness is frightening and if Alcoa has found some of that they could give Maryville a game till the 4th Qtr. Still Maryville will be loaded and at home as the defending back to back and undefeated state 4A champs. The shame of losing in front of the home crowd to Alcoa is enough to motivate and kids to be fired up. Maryville players don't think anything of the hype of players and have beaten D1 types off the ball year end and year out.

I say Alcoa comes ready to play but as great as Rankin is, to change a 16/17/18 year olds mind set takes years.

Alcoa had it's chance last year, and anything can happen for sure, but Alcoa can't play with a Maryville. I don't expect Alcoa to score more than 10-14 points but Maryville will. I say GQ and company hangs 40 on Alcoa before the 4th qtr starts.