Maryville vs Alcoa '06

GovMan

If teh games is ruined by our darn raccoon dont come. Im the one that brought it in. We never refered to it as "The Coon", as someone else claimed. His name is Young Roc, thats all we ever call it. We dont mean anything racial by it. We found him in a parking lot for christsake. Its a homemade taxidermy, stuffed with sawdust, missing two legs. Do you think we drove around for four hours one night thinking, "Gosh, we really need to find us a coon so we can send a message to them alcoans. Lets make it a racial slur!" ? No. Its innocent fun. Were 17 years old. As for my parading it in front of alcoas student section, thats called celebration. 6 years straight. So can you just let kids have fun and not accuse us of being racist all the time? We never meant anything by the flag, and we dont mean anything by the coon. Alcoa, WB, and Heritage all have waaaaaay more race problems than we do, yet were teh ones that wlays take the blame.

Young man maybe some sensitivity training is called for (I said I wouldn't get on a soapbox). I was the one who said that I heard that thing referred to as "the coon" because that is what happened. My family and I were some of the first people in the stands due to the fact that my sister's friend lives across the street from the stadium (as a matter of fact this same friend was called a "b" by one of the girls in your group because she was asked to sit down and not block people's view) any way back to the coon. I was standing right there when you came in with it and another kid came in with a hobbie horse, a young lady with a camera had you guys gather for some pictures and someone said-maybe it was you maybe not- "Get the coon, make sure you get the coon..." it was after then that I walk over to the visitor stands. If you don't think that this sort of thing is racist and offensive it may be that you realm of history is short sighted due to your age or maybe still in the morning ask Mike Kelley what his grandfather thinks of your coon. I hope that this is the last that we see of it or speak of it. My best wishes to the Maryville football team (Rebels still gets stuck in my throat) game well played.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Young man maybe some sensitivity training is called for (I said I wouldn't get on a soapbox). I was the one who said that I heard that thing referred to as "the coon" because that is what happened. My family and I were some of the first people in the stands due to the fact that my sister's friend lives across the street from the stadium (as a matter of fact this same friend was called a "b" by one of the girls in your group because she was asked to sit down and not block people's view) any way back to the coon. I was standing right there when you came in with it and another kid came in with a hobbie horse, a young lady with a camera had you guys gather for some pictures and someone said-maybe it was you maybe not- "Get the coon, make sure you get the coon..." it was after then that I walk over to the visitor stands. If you don't think that this sort of thing is racist and offensive it may be that you realm of history is short sighted due to your age or maybe still in the morning ask Mike Kelley what his grandfather thinks of your coon. I hope that this is the last that we see of it or speak of it. My best wishes to the Maryville football team (Rebels still gets stuck in my throat) game well played.

I do not recall that, and in no way will this be the last we see of Young Roc.

black messiah...u have no respect man...it is the fans of both teams that make the schools look bad usually because after a hard fought loss....i ( an Alcoa starter on both sides of the ball) went to the maryville players team huddle and told each player how weel they played and that i wish them luck on the season, and they did the same...both teams played with class and respect each other...but the fans are usually the vulgar and classless and unsportsman like of the schools...the game is over so leave it at that...the coon was a racist thing whether u intended it to be or not...it was so drop it....holler at ur boy and give respect man

For a Preacher , Or whatever you claim to be , you sure do seem to be awfully quick in assuming the worst in everyone . You come on here and talk Coach Quarles down , you talk all Tennesseeans down in general , and now you're looking for Racism under every stone . Maybe you need a little sensitivity training yourself .

matter of fact this same friend was called a "b" by one of the girls in your group because she was asked to sit down and not block people's view

And I was sitting on the Maryville side in my normal place. And several Alcoa kids 12 to 13 were sitting in the ailse next to me yelling Maryville s#### for much of the first half. Annoying? Yes. But I didn't say anything to them. They were just being kids. Sometimes people looking for offensive actions are the ones offended the easiest.

Edited by mhs

matter of fact this same friend was called a "b" by one of the girls in your group because she was asked to sit down and not block people's view

And I was sitting on the Maryville side in my normal place. And several Alcoa kids 12 to 13 were sitting in the ailse next to me yelling Maryville s#### for much of the first half. Annoying? Yes. But I didn't say anything to them. They were just being kids. Sometimes people looking for offensive actions are the ones offended the easiest.

MHS do think these AHS students need some sensitivity training?

What about the white AHS students shouting 'Booze it, lose it' to suspended black MHS players?

I tend to agree with FBE on the fact that at this point we are not as good as we were last year at this time. However we have the chance to get better and the young guys on the D-Line played very well. They held Alcoa under 100 yards rushing and before the game I didn't think they would. When you take a guy like Tank out of the equation who torched AHS for 130 yards last seaon and 2 TD's, then that's going to hurt.

Edited by STARSNBARS

I started this thread way back then and I think it's time to end it now.

The game was awesome. The sportsmanship and class shown by both teams was exemplary. I watched the players and coaching staffs of both teams mingle after the game and I thought that was great.

Being a "preacher" doesn't mean you can't have an opionion and it certainly doesn't mean you don't screw up and say things you shouldn't some times. Trust me on that one ... :ph34r::D Sometimes folks just look for opportunities to take a shot at someone because they are a preacher ... I've seen that happen on this thread.

To call someone a b_ _ _ _ _ is wrong and the young person should be corrected. To chant Maryville s _ _ _ _ _ is wrong and someone should say something to the kids. To hold up signs that say, you booze--you lose, was not good.

In this era of trying to teach our young people to be tolerant and non-racist, how anyone could not be at least "a little" bothered by "The Raccoon" is hard for me to fathom. Maybe it is making a whole lot out of something little, but as for me and me alone, when I walked in and saw "Black Messiah" with it before the game, I wish now I had at least tried to dissuade him from having it at the game.

Everyone is entitled to their view, that's what makes this a free country, but deep inside, I wonder if all of us don't really realize that if the "raccoon" hadn't reared his ugly head at 'THIS' game, it would have been better for all involved. Maybe there was a lesson we could have shared with our young people here and we missed the opportunity. I know I did. I can't throw a stone at anyone else but my self.

Sorry. Mod's let's close this.

Edited by GovMan