Stewart County Surprise Team?

I was pulling up old scores and it wasn't that long ago that Stewart County beat Camden so what happened?

Lemme see, that was 1999 I believe, and Camden beat Steward Co. the next year on Homecoming 7-0. What happened? Well, I guess Steward Co. played better the game they won.

I was on the Camden team that lost to Stewart Co. that year. As far as I can remember those were the building days in Benton Co.. We went 5-5 that year coming off the 2nd consecutive 0-10 season, and lost to Harpeth in the first round of the playoffs. Since then Camden has been a program that worked hard and came up.

I see your point here, but mine still stands. It takes more than one year and a few big guns to become a contender or even a "suprise team". Keep working hard, and you'll get there. Camden's still working hard to become a State Champion. It doesn't happen overnight.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, Stewart Co. may do well?... I'm sure they will be better, but I dont see them beating Waverly. Come on, Waverly is not the best but they are not going to get beat by y'all. Besides Waverly is in the second year of rebuilding or w/e ya want to call it.. They will be Better then last year as well!

Ok, Stewart Co. may do well?... I'm sure they will be better, but I dont see them beating Waverly. Come on, Waverly is not the best but they are not going to get beat by y'all. Besides Waverly is in the second year of rebuilding or w/e ya want to call it.. They will be Better then last year as well!

Waverly will be in the same boat Stewart will. Both teams are rebuilding well Stewart County has been rebuilding for a longgggg time. When these teams go neck to neck it will be a close game. I don't have a pick on who will win the Waverly/Stewart game. It's a toss up. When I played both these teams they were horrible.

When you say that Stewart County will be a much improved team, you must understand where you came from. A 4-6 season is an improvement. I very well see that in reach for the rebels this year. Just not a playoff team until someone proves me wrong. You cannot go from Region chump to region champ, In a years time. Unless you are making some real fast improvement. Again I will agree with everyone on here, you will be better...... not a playoff contender. Waverly, is at this point, fighting for 3rd or 4th position with Lorretto and Richland.

Edited by LCHSgrinch

Waverly will be in the same boat Stewart will. Both teams are rebuilding well Stewart County has been rebuilding for a longgggg time. When these teams go neck to neck it will be a close game. I don't have a pick on who will win the Waverly/Stewart game. It's a toss up. When I played both these teams they were horrible.

I posted about this on another thread but heres my take:

Can the Rebels make a run?

5-5 is the BEST that SCHS can delivery and that would be a remarkable high water mark for that program. They simply do not have the genetics in that county to produce a big time HS football program.

They have nice people and good students but NO SPEED whatsoever. Now that the FREEWAY is 4 lane between them and Ft. Campbell, they may draw some talented young Army Brats as more familes move West to get away from Clarksville but that is the only hope for the Rebels.

They will probably defeat the two weak programs on their schedule and beat Houston County for the second year in a row, but after that, who on the schedule can they defeat? Adamsville lost to them last year but I think that may not happen this season.

Is Coach Holdiay still at SCHS? Someone suggested they had a new coaching staff? If so, this will be his third year as head coach. The real test of a head coach is what can he do when he has had three years to develop a program. This should be his year if things workout but you can't measure a team's success when the only teams they play are Gleason and Houston Co.. When they start beating Lewis Co or teams of that calibur, then we will know they have found their place in the ranks of quality HS football programs.

Look at it this way. If they develop a strong offensive line, they can win with one or two good running backs but if they don't have the overall speed in the backfield, the best they can hope for is 3 yards and a cloud of dust. I just don't see them going beyond the first round of the playoffs even if they go 5-5 in the regular season. Again, 4-6 or 5-5 is a great finish for the Rebels but I don't see it. Probably 3-7 is more likely with a good start 2-0 and a win against Houston Co down the road.