Tn. Tech

Thanks man! I hadn't heard, of course I've been so busy up here, I haven't had a chance to think of anything else but my 2 teams. Then, 2 weeks ago, in the 3rd 2 a day practice of the season for another local high school, one of their jr. starting o-linemen went down to the heat/possible other health problems, was in a coma for 4 days, and passed away! He was a kid that I had coached several years ago in youth ball on top of that. It's been a really rough time up here. All 5 of the high schools in the county cancelled practice last Friday, and we all attended his memorial sevice at his high school. Everyone please remember his family and team in their prayers! This family also lost another son a few years back to cancer.

Sorry to hear that. Our prayers and thoughts are with you.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that. Our prayers and thoughts are with you.

Thanks to you and The Squad for the thoughts. Things are getting back to normal around here now...Finally! We start our HS season this Friday, and my youth team is looking really good. too. They are the one's who are the most fun to coach! Well, if some of the Dad's doing the bleacher coaching would hush! :thumb: It's a little tough to split time between them and the HS team, but the HC at the high school let's us practice there after we are finished with the varsity. At least I don't have to drive somewhere else! Plus the free use of blocking sleds and dummies doesn't hurt much either! :ph34r: Hopefully, all is well at home right now. Everyone stay safe and good luck to everyone at all levels this season!

Edited by stlrcoach

• 2 weeks later...

After watching the UTC game, it became apparent that Sweeney needs to be in the shotgun 70-80% of the time. By doing so, it will give him 1.5 to 2 seconds or so extra to see the field and his check offs. The five step drop was a disaster as he was running for his life because of poor protection, (sacked 5 times). UTC was blitzing from the edge and the backs did a bad job of chipping/blocking. Sweeney showed his arm with a 50 yard perfect strike to Larry Shipp at the end of the 2nd quarter, hit him right in the hands, on stride, and he dropped it. Maybe he should stop wearing his golden shoes to practice, put his clippings in his pocket and catch the ball. I look for improvement this week on offense against Gardner-Webb as long as the blocking is there. Defense is another story. The running back for UTC looked like a Heisman candidate, (203 yards at the half!), even before the loss of November at linebacker. They were beat at the point of attack, (both offensive and defensive), and the linebackers had to play with their defensive lineman's feet in the way.

After watching the UTC game, it became apparent that Sweeney needs to be in the shotgun 70-80% of the time. By doing so, it will give him 1.5 to 2 seconds or so extra to see the field and his check offs. The five step drop was a disaster as he was running for his life because of poor protection, (sacked 5 times). UTC was blitzing from the edge and the backs did a bad job of chipping/blocking. Sweeney showed his arm with a 50 yard perfect strike to Larry Shipp at the end of the 2nd quarter, hit him right in the hands, on stride, and he dropped it. Maybe he should stop wearing his golden shoes to practice, put his clippings in his pocket and catch the ball. I look for improvement this week on offense against Gardner-Webb as long as the blocking is there. Defense is another story. The running back for UTC looked like a Heisman candidate, (203 yards at the half!), even before the loss of November at linebacker. They were beat at the point of attack, (both offensive and defensive), and the linebackers had to play with their defensive lineman's feet in the way.

AMEN to all of that.I was there too.The weather was great.Great night for football,but I was VERY disappointed in Tech's play.Same ol stuff.I hope UTC's just that good but Tech just may be as bad as was predicted.I was hoping for so much more.

Well,at least the fireworks were decent...

THE SQUAD :rolleyes:

Someone needs to answer this for me. Why do coaches try and sit on a 5 point lead with 10 minutes to go in a game and you are on the road? Your redshirt freshman quarterback has thrown for close to 300 yards, two touchdowns and led the team back from a deficit of 21-6 to take the lead at 26-21 in the second half. Your team has been successful in your offense and rather than play to win you play not to lose. I will never understand this mentality. We'll run the ball on first and second down, get in third and long and punt....twice. It seems to me that is the time in the game where you need to step on your opponents neck and push harder. Play the game. :thumb: Oh, final score...TTU 26, Gardner Webb 31.

Someone needs to answer this for me. Why do coaches try and sit on a 5 point lead with 10 minutes to go in a game and you are on the road? Your redshirt freshman quarterback has thrown for close to 300 yards, two touchdowns and led the team back from a deficit of 21-6 to take the lead at 26-21 in the second half. Your team has been successful in your offense and rather than play to win you play not to lose. I will never understand this mentality. We'll run the ball on first and second down, get in third and long and punt....twice. It seems to me that is the time in the game where you need to step on your opponents neck and push harder. Play the game. :lol: Oh, final score...TTU 26, Gardner Webb 31.

I didn't know that's how it went.That's sickening.

Looks like another LONG year for my Golden Eagles... :lol:

THE SQUAD

• 2 weeks later...