Siegel 2-2

Ravenwood 2-2

Blackman 1-3

BGA 1-3

BA 1-3

Page 0-3-1

Centennial 0-4

Dickson Co. 0-0 - did not play today

If anyone knows results from the pending games, please post and I will update the records.

Thanks for the LaVergne updates, bd4vols

Records for Friday have been updated with all matches included

Edited by PageMan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In defense of Centennial's 0-4 record, I know that one of their players was out sick and 2 others were absent due to school reasons. Page lost a player to injury in their game against DCA and another player had to leave due to work reasons.

Independence did not have the services of OH Liz Powell and Setter Andrea Smith until their final match against Page. I expect some other teams were missing players as well.

As I've stated before, take the results with a grain of salt as none of these matches really matter in pre-season action.

In defense of Centennial's 0-4 record, I know that one of their players was out sick and 2 others were absent due to school reasons. Page lost a player to injury in their game against DCA and another player had to leave due to work reasons.

Independence did not have the services of OH Liz Powell and Setter Andrea Smith until their final match against Page. I expect some other teams were missing players as well.

As I've stated before, take the results with a grain of salt as none of these matches really matter in pre-season action.

Good Post Sir PageMan. Church ain't over til the fat lady sings and the fat lady is still strapping on her old feed bag.

Clifford is right on the analysis as usual. Siegel does have a lot of new parts but they have also a lot of older parts that are going thru a refurbishing and renewing. It was obvious and expected it would happen and it is what gives coaches gray hair. Coach Slaughter will need the Senior Leaders to come forward and assert themselves and players in key positions to fill their roles and play to their capability. This team has a great deal of talent but it is not unexpected for the parts to have to be defined. This will have to happen before this will be a very good team. Patience is needed but even Job needed a renewing ever so often. Go Stars.

Sounds like Siegel may not be the team everyone thought they would be this year.

Sounds like Siegel may not be the team everyone thought they would be this year.

I refer to my last post. These team camps/play days may be an adequate barometer of talent but they sure are not good at long range forcasting. Siegel has the talent and the desire to be outstanding.

I refer to my last post. These team camps/play days may be an adequate barometer of talent but they sure are not good at long range forcasting. Siegel has the talent and the desire to be outstanding.

last year Siegel lost several games in this play day, so don't take stock in wins and losses. Centennial didn't win much but looked good with key players missing.

Ravenwood is looking great and idependance has a shot at the big trophy in my opinion.

Siegel will be very inconsistent for a while this year, just like they were last year early. You may be right Cat...it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I tried to sneak a peek at Franklin while LaVergne played Lipscomb and my thoughts on them is that they aren't missing a beat with Jay being gone. They looked really good at times. I was mighty impressed with East Ridge the two times I saw them as well against Blackman and BGA.

There were lots of good overall players from each team LaVergne played against. Tennessee volleyball just keeps getting better and better and after playing a bunch of out of state teams the past few weeks, I'll say that we have as good a core group of 15-20 volleyball teams as any area in the south outside of Louisville.(Is Louisville in the south???)

Edited by bd4vols

Saturday's matches start an hour earlier at 9 AM and conclude with the last matches starting at 5 PM. One of the best matches will be at 11 AM on court 1 with the battle of Friday's unbeaten teams: Brentwood and East Ridge. Another 11 AM match will be at the middle school on court 6 where LaVergne will take on Siegel. Page will face A/AA rival East Ridge at 1 PM on court 1 and Ravenwood will face district foe Indepedence on court 4. 3 PM matches include Brentwood vs Siegel on court 1 and LaVergne vs East Ridge on court 3. I did not get to see Franklin at all today and they will not be participating tomorrow. Dickson Co. will take their place in the schedule of matches the remainder of the weekend. I will try to get the missing results from yesterday if possible and post what I can get from Saturday's play later that night.

I tried to sneak a peek at Franklin while LaVergne played Lipscomb and my thoughts on them is that they aren't missing a beat with Jay being gone. They looked really good at times. I was mighty impressed with East Ridge the two times I saw them as well against Blackman and BGA.

There were lots of good overall players from each team LaVergne played against. Tennessee volleyball just keeps getting better and better and after playing a bunch of out of state teams the past few weeks, I'll say that we have as good a core group of 15-20 volleyball teams as any area in the south outside of Louisville.(Is Louisville in the south???)

Your comment on Franklin is very important. This is not the same team, for sure, that was in the State Tournament last year. It is much better and seems to have a fire in its belly to do better. It seems to have more good players than last year as do most of the teams at this event. Anyone playing this team will have to have its best game on now much less the end of the year. It is well coached and well motivated.

Brentwood High is the same. Retooling has not yet brought it back to level of last year but it will eventually be some better. You can see the talent there. They are doing things, in spots, that I'm not sure the team of last year could do. it is a reflection of coaching.

End of saturday and waiting for pageman to enter scores. While he is tabulating, Page does an excellent job and you don't really understand it until the team you are following may be not doing the best for a lot of reasons and he keeps on plugging and crunching the scores. Someone has to love the game a lot to provide this service to the posters.

One thing that is for sure. VB is alive and well in Middle Tennessee and I know in The Chattanooga area. Crowds at Brentwood High school were very good and those attending which I talked to were genuinely interested in what was happening and which players were back and which were not.

While two of the three days are finished, some things have been established. Brentwood high school, while tested in some matches, is very strong again with a new cast. They and Frankilin and Independence will battle it out for their District and it will be a classic battle.

Lavergne is for real and will battle it out for District 9 and should be the favorite. This is a team that will get better as the season goes on and less any injuries should be in the top echelon of district 9.

East Ridge is showing well and is a well coached team as you would expect. While other teams will compete with them in Chattanooga, they must be one of the top teams in that area.

District 7 will be up for grabs and Siegel really needed this scrimmage to get things in order. Siegel will likely come out of this with a little more than 50% wins but the real results is the work Coach P/Slaughter is getting done in fine tuning this team. She has stated the team will gel a little later and we can only remember that last year, things did not look good coming out of this week and it did. Blackman played a lot of players and it will be interesting to see their progress thru this season.

Brentwood Academy surprised some with the way they played. They certainly played hard. DCA at times played strong and will do well as well as BGA. Lipscomb will be a surprise and will get better thru the year as will Page when they get all their players. Centenniel looked stronger than their record reflected.

After two days of VB at Brentwood High School, Their are better and stronger players and teams this year. There seemed to be more players filling out the rosters and the JV teams seemed to have filled out their rosters better also. While not perfect by any means, techniques seemed to be better.

The current crop of Varsity Coaches are for real and really worked to improve their teams and a new group of JV coaches arrived on the scene really working to improve their teams.

This was a working camp with many times Coaches stopping play to correct techniques in a serious way. This was one evident difference than in the camp last year especially the amount of times play was stopped.

Younger players are observed, from middle schools, watching play which means the next generation is already getting ready. While I may not have mentioned all of the teams at the camp, this has been a good one and i hope Pageman will fill in his thoughts.

Its been a great two days and tomorow it will finish only to be started again next weekend. VB seems to be thriving in Middle Tennessee.

Sorry for the lateness of my report, PHargis. Had to rest a little before I could enter.

Saturday Results:

Centennial def. Ravenwood - 25-20, 25-22

Lavergne def. Page - 25-14, 25-19, 15-9

Siegel def. Blackman

Brentwood def. DCA

Independence def. Lipscomb

East Ridge def. Dickson Co.

BGA def. BA

Brentwood def. East Ridge

DCA def. BGA

Page def. Blackman - 25-17, 25-22

Independence def. Dickson Co. - 25-7, 25-21, 25-10