Brentwood Team Camp Info

ivolly

PHargis' comments are very good and I don't have much else to add. Brentwood seems to be the cream of the crop. Their hardest test on Sunday will be the 2 PM match with LaVergne. East Ridge will only play 3 matches tomorrow as they will not play Lipscomb as shown on my original schedule. They showed some weakness today with their losses to Brentwood and LaVergne. Centennial recovered nicely today going undefeated and will face a tough test in East Ridge at 2 PM. Another good match should be Lipscomb and Siegel also at 2 PM. Too bad I can't be at 4 places at once since Page will be at BA at 2 PM.

Sunday will be a tiring day for most teams as they finish play. I know I'm tired already and I've just been sitting on my butt watching them. I'm sure the coaches have learned a lot from this experience and will try to eliminate the problems and weak areas they have seen. I'll be there early, once again, with my trusty clipboard searching for the results of the matches. The last report on this camp will be late Sunday night.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PHargis' comments are very good and I don't have much else to add. Brentwood seems to be the cream of the crop. Their hardest test on Sunday will be the 2 PM match with LaVergne. East Ridge will only play 3 matches tomorrow as they will not play Lipscomb as shown on my original schedule. They showed some weakness today with their losses to Brentwood and LaVergne. Centennial recovered nicely today going undefeated and will face a tough test in East Ridge at 2 PM. Another good match should be Lipscomb and Siegel also at 2 PM. Too bad I can't be at 4 places at once since Page will be at BA at 2 PM.

Sunday will be a tiring day for most teams as they finish play. I know I'm tired already and I've just been sitting on my butt watching them. I'm sure the coaches have learned a lot from this experience and will try to eliminate the problems and weak areas they have seen. I'll be there early, once again, with my trusty clipboard searching for the results of the matches. The last report on this camp will be late Sunday night.

PageMan, again as usual, thanks for all of the info. Just one quicky, it would appear to me that ER, although having lost a couple of matches, is already playing quite a bit better than 10 days ago.

PageMan, again as usual, thanks for all of the info. Just one quicky, it would appear to me that ER, although having lost a couple of matches, is already playing quite a bit better than 10 days ago.

This is a good perception. An opinion here is that all of these teams, here, will be playing better in the next 10 days than than they have this weekend due to a number of circumstances that Pageman documented in an earlier post, which is quite scarey because a lot of these teams are picked to win or be in the top tier of their district and the level of play, generally, has been quite high. Pageman might want to comment on this if he agrees. The Blastoff later this month along with later events this month will be pretty high level in this area and some of the best volleyball played. Other parts of the state, I am sure, are better also along with a reported increase in small school teams which are now arriving on stream and can be never left out of the equation.

This event has drawn numerous fans that have come to "scout" what is going on and may have some interest in a particular team or district. Newspaper publicity and an article about the Brentwood Coach preped this event. See Coacht home page volleyball. Other posters have posted about the high level of play. Even if one factors a level of known enthusiasm for the start of a season, it appears from this angle here, this may be the best season concerning play in the past few years. Someone else may want to comment on that. Middle school play seems to be up in many areas and have heard today some middle school play in some areas have players competing bistate with some high school freshman players and are placing high in that competition. Good players are coming and there is an excitement about it.

Admittedly this is in the hotbed of play along with Chattanooga and other areas in the state, Knoxville etc. but the attraction of more "better athletes", better conditioned, obviously taller and looking stronger and able to do more things is particularly noticable here. Looking good VB coaches and players and fans. This will be a good season.

VBallDaddy78, I value your opinion about ER, and with this camp being the 1st time I seen them, I can't really compare how they were doing 10 days ago. I base my opinion of them based on their performance against Page. We were somewhat weakened with the loss of an OH and an injury to a RSH during this match, but still hung with them only losing 22-25, 21-5. I expected ER to have a greater margin of victory, but they had several serving and attack errors. As PHargis said, all the teams will improve over the next 10 days and we should see better play in the Brentwood Blastoff on Aug 18 and 19. Some teams have been using younger players in their lineups who have benefited from experience in club ball. While teams rely on senior leadership, these younger players are making valuable contributions. One only has to look at Independence who has only one senior in OH Liz Powell, but several younger players in middle Sam Serley, Grace and Tess Perilli, setter Andrea Smith, and others who have played club ball for several years. I expect their district matches with Brentwood, Franklin, Ravenwood, and others to be great and I hope I can attend some of their matches this season. Other teams in this camp definitely have some work to do before the season starts with improvement needed in communication between players, serving, passing, and defensive coverage. I am looking forward to the coming regular season where the teams will battle in their districts and hope to advance to the state tournament.

Wow, what a three days. Now it is Sunday evening and the last games are being played at Brentwood High School. What a great day and what an event. As I left, the Pageman was still there with his clipboard and the GLJ was fixing to call his last match. What an event for celebrities. It had everything but wait for the next one. It will outmatch this one.

The key word to this event is verticality. To those who don't know how that relates, its jumping high effortlessly and carefully slamming the ball to the court. Some teams have generally got this technique solved. Some players have. In leiu of veticality, some say college/university coaches need 6'1-6'3 players that can jump. This event was full of players in 5'9" to 6'2 that can jump out of the arena. It was one of the most evident improvements in play for this weekend. Weight training and better coaching have a lot to do with it especially in technique. Which brings in another subject, coaching.

This event was full of good coaches, both varsity and JV. On every court was seen coaches going thru pre game drills and working on different things that could have been needed during the last game played and was found not as they thought it should be.

And then there was the gracious host of this event, Brentwood high school and its patrons who can put on one of the best concession stands around. Brentwood knows how to put on a VB event. They have done it enough. And it is evident the way they record their sports teams with almost life size pictures of the teams sprinkled around the facility, that they appreciate their sports and their Student/Athletes. The only thing that could have been better was a realization at some of the games in the small courts would be overflow crowds, especially when two rival teams are playing. There were some very good crowds at the matches.

So you missed this one. Guess what. The middle of August there will be another one. and not only there but at a school near you. next weekend there will be one at siegel in the Boro and there is also one at Blackman in the Boro on August. Both have some great teams coming and I am sure will be posted on T.

The infatiguable Pageman will have the final results and his insightful comments on this three days. His comments on this event were right on the money. This season is building to a very high start point and it looks as if it may be the best start ever. It needs the continued support of the fans and the interested Middle School Student/Athletes who have aspirations of playing someday.

Guest Cutters Crazies
Sounds like Siegel may not be the team everyone thought they would be this year.

Siegel will take care of business when it comes time to

Edited by Cutters Crazies

Sunday's Results:

Brentwood def. Page - 25-7, 25-13, 25-16

Independence def. Siegel - 27-25, 23-25, 17-15

Centennial def. Blackman

East Ridge def. Ravenwood

BGA def. Lipscomb - 25-22, 25-21, 16-9

LaVergne def. Dickson Co.

DCA def. BA

Brentwood def. LaVergne - 25-20, 25-20

BGA def. Ravenwood - 25-21, 31-29

Siegel def. Lipscomb

DCA def. Dickson Co.

Centennial def. East Ridge

Independence def. Blackman

Page split with BA - 19-25, 25-22

BGA def. Blackman

DCA def. Lipscomb

Brentwood def. Ravenwood - 25-17, 25-12

Centennial def. Page - 25-23, 23-25, 15-10

Siegel def. East Ridge - 25-13, 25-13

LaVergne def. Independence

BA def. Dickson Co.

Page def. Dickson Co. - 25-17, 25-22

LaVergne def. DCA - 25-14, 25-22

Ravenwood def. Blackman - my guess

4 other matches were cancelled due to various reasons

Sunday's Records:

Brentwood 3-0

Centennial 3-0

BGA 3-0

LaVergne 3-1

DCA 3-1

Independence 2-1

Siegel 2-1

BA 1-1-1

East Ridge 1-2

Page 1-2-1

Ravenwood 1-3

Blackman 0-4

Dickson Co. 0-4

Final Records for the camp:

Brentwood 12-0

LaVergne 11-2

Franklin 3-1

Centennial 8-4

East Ridge 8-4

Independence 8-4

Siegel 7-5

DCA 6-6-1

BGA 5-6-1

Lipscomb 5-7

Ravenwood 5-8

Page 2-8-3

BA 2-9-1

Blackman 2-11

Dickson Co. 0-9

Final Records for the camp:

Brentwood 12-0

LaVergne 11-2

Franklin 3-1

Centennial 8-4

East Ridge 8-4

Independence 8-4

Siegel 7-5

DCA 6-6-1

BGA 5-6-1

Lipscomb 5-7

Ravenwood 5-8

Page 2-8-3

BA 2-9-1

Blackman 2-11

Dickson Co. 0-9

I think it's interesting that Independence and Centennial seem to be just as closely matched as they were last year in the Page tournament.

That Lavergne tournament this year should be a good one with Lavergne, Siegel, Centennial and Lafayette in it, just to name a few. Lafayette is off to a good start by going undefeated and winning a preseason tournament this weekend that had several teams in it that were top 25 last year.

I don't have much to add in the way of comments. For East Ridge, Laura Brock's sister was sick today and I did hear at some point that she was the setter, VBallDaddy78. I think East Ridge has been trying various setters including Laura Brock at times. Brentwood proved me wrong in my prediction of teams going undefeated and were certainly very strong. LaVergne also played well with 2 starters missing so I feel they could challenge Brentwood at the state tournament. Centennial finished strong after Friday's slow start at 0-4 to end up 8-4 as they had players out as well. Siegel looked better today with a close loss to Independence early and I was somewhat surprised with their win over East Ridge. I heard that Siegel had some good blocks at the net in their win over ER. BGA and DCA also finished well on Sunday.

I will be off the board for about week as I'm headed out to NC early tomorrow morning. Good night and good luck.

I don't have much to add in the way of comments. For East Ridge, Laura Brock's sister was sick today and I did hear at some point that she was the setter, VBallDaddy78. I think East Ridge has been trying various setters including Laura Brock at times. Brentwood proved me wrong in my prediction of teams going undefeated and were certainly very strong. LaVergne also played well with 2 starters missing so I feel they could challenge Brentwood at the state tournament. Centennial finished strong after Friday's slow start at 0-4 to end up 8-4 as they had players out as well. Siegel looked better today with a close loss to Independence early and I was somewhat surprised with their win over East Ridge. I heard that Siegel had some good blocks at the net in their win over ER. BGA and DCA also finished well on Sunday.

I will be off the board for about week as I'm headed out to NC early tomorrow morning. Good night and good luck.

[/quote So that the questions about the state of siegel this year might be answered, the story is still out. They ended on a high note however would liked to have the opportunity to play the last match against Centinell but they couldn't play.

As with most of the teams, the time was used correcting a myrid of things and team finished looking and reacting better than on Friday. It's match against ER was the best surprise but as page said was without ER having their main setter. siegel's play then was dominating finishing the first two games in less than 30 minutes. For the Chattanooga fans, Laura Brock showed signs of how good she is but was not allowed to dominate as she probably has is other matches. Seigels MH's just were too much of a presence against her and Seigels OH's couldn't seem to miss.

As in every year, the siegel Coaching Staff was very proactive throughout this event and will be the major reason for its success early. Later the team will develop it's own personality depending on how this Staff has molded it. This team got better as the event went on. Coach Paulk/Slaughter has many parts she can exchange and focus on and it was evident the last day when she had gotten to the point she was developing different strategy's to improve the teams consistancies. Middle hitters started at first being the strength but OH and defense got better as the event progressed. The Libero, a transfer, was effective and under fire from the very beginning. Consistancy, I am sure, will be in the Coach's vocabulary every day.

The downside was an uninspiring loss to Brentwood High School, who, as last year at this event beat siegel handily. The other losses were all very close and were marked primarily by the teams inability to finish nor maintain long streaks of points it had worked hard to generate. Lack of consistancy and focus became an area to work on and was.

Lavergne was the second hardest match, in my opinion. They are well coached and have good players at this point and it will be interesting to see how they progress in subsequent events and thru their district. They are now a marked team in District 9.

So the story is still out on this team. They got their taste of state last year and it is obvious what their goal is this year. It will take some more hard work and focus to think about getting there.

I think it's interesting that Independence and Centennial seem to be just as closely matched as they were last year in the Page tournament.

That Lavergne tournament this year should be a good one with Lavergne, Siegel, Centennial and Lafayette in it, just to name a few. Lafayette is off to a good start by going undefeated and winning a preseason tournament this weekend that had several teams in it that were top 25 last year.

KY's top 20 teams are better than TN's top 20 (primarily because of private school links to clubs), but I think the middle of the pack teams in TN are better than KY middle of the pack teams. Lafayette may have a hard time competing with the 3 TN teams mentioned above. Unfortunately, Lexington just hasn't caught up with Louisville or further north towards Cincinnati - or, has it?