Brentwood Team Camp Info

ivolly

KY's top 20 teams are better than TN's top 20 (primarily because of private school links to clubs), but I think the middle of the pack teams in TN are better than KY middle of the pack teams. Lafayette may have a hard time competing with the 3 TN teams mentioned above. Unfortunately, Lexington just hasn't caught up with Louisville or further north towards Cincinnati - or, has it?

Lexington has not caught up to the top seven catholics(5 louisville or 2 NKY), but one Lexington team was right there with the best of the publics last year. Three others top 25. Lafayette finished the regular season ranked #12 last year. Probably should have been #10 as they defeated NKY's #11 Beechwood and finished runnerup to #9 Louisville Butler in the JCIVT(top louisville public tournament) much higher than #10 Louisville Male(never played Male though). NKY's #7 ranked Ryle was the top ranked public team last year and were even one spot higher than #8 Louisville Holy Cross, because they defeated them. Lafayette lost to Ryle in three early in the season, so they were right there with them. So in answer to your question, yes Lexington has caught up to Louisville and NKY, just not the big 7 catholic privates.

http://www.khsaa.org/volleyball/cpoll.pdf

Last years final coaches poll. Henry Clay, Tates Creek and Lafayette are all Lexington teams. Dunbar was top 25 earlier in the year but dropped out of the last one. Tates Creek upset Lafayette in the regional championship on their home floor and made it to the final Four of state.

Not sure this years Lafayette team can hang with those three teams mentioned or not this year. Last year Lafayette beat Centennial twice and lost to Independence in a close one. Lafayette did lose six varsity seniors last year. They do have holes and I dont see this years team being as balanced overall as last years team, but the do have four solid players that dont come out, that includes a great setter and a HAMMER that will be tough to deal with.

Edited by KYdigsTN

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KY's top 20 teams are better than TN's top 20 (primarily because of private school links to clubs), but I think the middle of the pack teams in TN are better than KY middle of the pack teams. Lafayette may have a hard time competing with the 3 TN teams mentioned above. Unfortunately, Lexington just hasn't caught up with Louisville or further north towards Cincinnati - or, has it?

One other thing I'd like to add, is that if you look at that KY coaches poll, any team ranked 10-25 is capable of beating one another on a given night. Lots of parity. The odds of any team 10-25 defeating the top 6 catholic teams is EXTREMELY remote. Big talent gap there. Any team that would be ranked 50-240(if there was such a poll) would be very unlikely to ever defeat any of the top 25. Again, very big talent drop off.

I've seen a lot or TN volleyball and in my opinion if teams like Independence, Franklin or Centennial were in KY they would rank somewhere in that top 10-25. Brentwood would be between 6-10, but there is no TN team that could currently crack the top 5. That's not a slam. Not many top teams in many states that could.

Edited by KYdigsTN

I've seen a lot or TN volleyball and in my opinion if teams like Independence, Franklin or Centennial were in KY they would rank somewhere in that top 10-25. Brentwood would be between 6-10, but there is no TN team that could currently crack the top 5. That's not a slam. Not many top teams in many states that could.

Well, I guess we will never know and all this is just speculation anyway. But remember, Brentwood's JV went to Louisville and put the smack down on Ryle 25-7, 25-10, and Sacred Heart 25-15, 25-12 in the finals. I don't know how many of those KY kids are playing varsity now, (if any), but those BHS kids are basically the varsity here now along with a great setter and two great OH's. I respect your opinion Digs, I just don't think the gap is that great anymore outside of Assumption.

Well, I guess we will never know and all this is just speculation anyway. But remember, Brentwood's JV went to Louisville and put the smack down on Ryle 25-7, 25-10, and Sacred Heart 25-15, 25-12 in the finals. I don't know how many of those KY kids are playing varsity now, (if any), but those BHS kids are basically the varsity here now along with a great setter and two great OH's. I respect your opinion Digs, I just don't think the gap is that great anymore outside of Assumption.

You could be right. I feel certain you could give Presentation a run and probably beat Holy Cross. Not sure though about the other catholics though. I'd love to see how a match between Brentwood and Sacred Heart or Mercy would turn out. This particular year you might just take them as Mercy has no seniors and SHA is not expecting big contributions from their senior class. They will both still be very good, as most of the great players on those two teams come from MAVA 15 and 16 Elite that did VERY well at nationals. Assumption is just loaded as usual and should dominate as they have great players from KIVA 15, 16, and 17 red that all finished nationally in the top 4 in their respective age groups. Assumption however has 6-7 17 red seniors and the other two teams are younger. Next year though, both SHA and Mercy may just give Assumption a run for their money.

Edited by KYdigsTN

I believe that ivolly may be right in his assessment. IMPACT's accomplishments certainly point to that improvement. In any given year the 4 or 5 below Assumption may move around a little bit and Brentwood could slot right in there. St. Henry, last year's runner-up, has lost a lot from last year but brought a strong replacement in from Cincinnati to offset somewhat. The continued success of the KIVA Red teams though assure that Assumption will continue to have the the depth and talent that can't be matched in KY over the long haul.

And to maybe touch on a point that has been danced around a little bit by some, these are Catholic kids playing through a Catholic grade school program and moving on to the Catholic HS.

I believe that ivolly may be right in his assessment. IMPACT's accomplishments certainly point to that improvement. In any given year the 4 or 5 below Assumption may move around a little bit and Brentwood could slot right in there. St. Henry, last year's runner-up, has lost a lot from last year but brought a strong replacement in from Cincinnati to offset somewhat. The continued success of the KIVA Red teams though assure that Assumption will continue to have the the depth and talent that can't be matched in KY over the long haul.

And to maybe touch on a point that has been danced around a little bit by some, these are Catholic kids playing through a Catholic grade school program and moving on to the Catholic HS.

Here is what I know though and this is how I base my decision. Brentwood girls for the most part are playing for Impact teams that are still competing near the top of the club division at nationals. Impact 15-1 and Impact 17-1 both qualified and did well at nationals, but they qualified in the national division and would not be able to qualify at the top open division just yet. Making great strides in that direction though.

Assumption, Sacred Heart and Mercy girls start playing in grade school, come from KIVA Red and MAVA Elite teams that all finished either at the top or near the very top of the open division of USA nationals this year. Those three teams are just still in a different league "most likely" to Brentwood. However, Presentation girls mostly come from KIVA 17-2 teams. St Henry and Notre Dame from NKYVC, Bullets, or Cincy teams that compete closer to Impacts level, therefore possibly Brentwoods level. Bottom line, Brentwood still would at best be 4th in KY in my humble opinion for now. :D

Also, with regards to the SHA JV team Brentwood defeated, it's "possible" those SHA girls were the ones that made up most of MAVA 17 Elite this year and will be seniors this season. VERY dissappointing team by MAVA standards as they only qualified for the national division at nationals and only won two matches there. Think they were 2-8. For some reason that 17 elite team was not at the level of the MAVA 13-16's that excelled in open. Not even close really.

Edited by KYdigsTN

One thing that REALLY surprises me though is that there is no mention of ANY Brentwood girls on this National championship Impact 15-1 team. Three Independence girls definately bodes well for that teams future, but i'm surprised to see no Brentwood girls mentioned in this article. Definately GREAT for Impact as a club, but "perhaps" not so great for Brentwood in the next couple years after the 17-1 girls graduate.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...421/1043/SPORTS

Edited by KYdigsTN

One thing that REALLY surprises me though is that there is no mention of ANY Brentwood girls on this National championship Impact 15-1 team. Three Independence girls definately bodes well for that teams future, but i'm surprised to see no Brentwood girls mentioned in this article. Definately GREAT for Impact as a club, but "perhaps" not so great for Brentwood in the next couple years after the 17-1 girls graduate.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...421/1043/SPORTS

Accurate assessment. No BHS kids on the 151 team. As you know there has been a split in Nashvegas as well on the club scene the last couple of years. More options for the girls, more girls playing. I didn't always see it that way, and I am still a loyal Impact guy and believe in our coaches, but however the girls get better helps the whole area. The Ravenwood school zone has really diminished the number of kids coming into BHS. But I assure you there are still a number of talented players yet to be seen in ROYAL blue.

Accurate assessment. No BHS kids on the 151 team. As you know there has been a split in Nashvegas as well on the club scene the last couple of years. More options for the girls, more girls playing. I didn't always see it that way, and I am still a loyal Impact guy and believe in our coaches, but however the girls get better helps the whole area. The Ravenwood school zone has really diminished the number of kids coming into BHS. But I assure you there are still a number of talented players yet to be seen in ROYAL blue.

This is a very good post and shows how VB is growing incrementally. While you may not agree totally with this, this area will need another club or two in the next four years. Really not sure where but the growth will come from the Middle School area with more kids playing but then as the Hign Schools fill their rosters, both Varsity and JV, it is an unsure propositon as to where the sport will go. If it is not more creative, it will wind up like basketball with fewer good players playing only. nothing should be done that would erode the fan base for it needs to grow incrementally or more and schools need to be more creative to attract fans. Clubs should have an interest in doing this also in fact more of an interest but I'm not sure they are thinking creatively enough. The impression is it is an expensive sport and not enough Club events are held in Tennessee or locally to reduce the travel cost and increase the fan base. The criticism is that small schools cannot afford to play which is a cop out but they do need a vehicle to generate money with fans. large schools need to also since matches start usually a little earlier than some fans can attend and does not allow even students who work after school to attend in some cases. Could be wrong but this can only happen with more clubs playing a large age distribution. Sure there are out of state events but clubs have the responsibility to increase the base also and should realize that. Sorry about the soapbox on this site but one thing that Brentwood high school has pulled its weight in doing is it has done its best to promote the game and those who might be critical of the school and its winning record should give a pat on the back to them for holding events like this and give a pat on the back to a school like Eagleville for holding an event for small schools like they have. If the events are held, they need to be first class events and these events are.

Great ran team camp and awesome talent there. I enjoyed seeing Pageman, TGLJ, and Ivolly there as well as a few others. We truly have some first class coaches in the mid-state (and Chattanooga) and I always enjoy my conversations with them. If your team has never been to this event, and you want to get better as a group, see great competition, be treated like an honored guest, and see where your team stands among the best in the state, I suggest you call Barbara Campbell early next spring and make your reservations.

Edited by bd4vols