D2 Changes for 2007-2009

jp2fan

Yeah, Webb has no good choice and may not even be permitted to play in the new lower DIIA. This is from the Jackson Sun:

http://www.jacksonsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../608220322/1006

"...Brentwood Academy would be the smallest school in 2A with 446. Christian Brothers would be the largest with 1,700 in adjusted enrollment."

Webb is at 488 students.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree... Webb won't stop giving financial aid to students, including athletes. Their emphasis is on the best HS education possible while also fielding athletic teams. I'm sure they have several non-athletes on aid as well. The only reason I can see them moving to D1 would be to cut down the ridiculous travel and be able to have an easier time scheduling opponents. I can't see Webb competing with the large D2 schools unless they change how they admit students.

They are also losing kids to CAK and Catholic, both of whom compete in the D1 division without all of the travel etc. Now, whether these two schools have actually given up financial aid to athletes is somewhat up for debate. There are people who claim to be in the know who say that CAK and Catholic do infact offer aid to athletes. It's not officially called Financial Aid. Somehow they either word it differently or have a third party handle the cost of tuition. Again, not my words or opinion but others supposedly in the know.

The TSSAA are a bunch of gutless wonders. They are scared to force all private schools into DII. If They force all Private Schools into DII we would not be discussing the problems with WHo goes back to DI or travel expenses.

The Issue at hand is No one really wants to face the big 7 in any fassion. That includes Father Ryan, Football is not the only sport people should look at.

Instead of faceing KY in the TN/KY all-star football game. WHy not have DI vs DII. or combine the 2 divisions and go back to faceing everyone. This debate has been going on to long for the TSSAA not to address the issue. If you are a private school you give some type of financial aid. Either through your church or scholorship. Every Private school should have the courage to play in DII.

Well obviously DII AAA will make up the new AA and DII A will make up A, but how will they split up DII AA. I know that JPII and SBA were moving up either next year or the one after. And just curious, where will BGA end up. They already have one of the lowest, if not the lowest enrollment in DII AA. And also they were at their best with the Flemings during the mid to late 90's while they where in DII A. Maybe time to move back down?

Not true. The first fleming played in the DI A Clinic Bowl with only three classes and no public/private split. The second fleming played all the DII teams in AA right now including some of the AAA. And not so sure MBA would have won by 20 against those teams. They should move up next year

BGA has the hardest decision to make since this apllies to ALL sports, not just football. Coming on the heels of a state championship in Soccer and state runner-up in Baseball, staying in the DII - A would be detrimental to the sports other than Football. The travel for games would be awful as well. However, if BGA elects to move up to DII - AA, there is no way for them to currently compete in Football with the other schools with the athletes and numbers they have now. What will they do?

BGA has the hardest decision to make ...

I agree, I think Webb is in the same situation. There is only 1 school East of Nashville that is D2 A so I'm sure Webb will move up to D2 AA since Baylor & McCallie are in Chattanooga. That will ease the travel a bit and probably be the end to road trips to Memphis.

In an article on Ky going to six classes next year http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d.../608220403/1031 the author says "... That proposal grew out of a 2005 movement by some public schools to create separate championship playoffs for public and private schools. The KHSAA members voted overwhelmingly for separation, but the Kentucky Board of Education emphatically rejected the idea and told the schools to work out their differences." I wish a white knight like the Board of Education would ride in here.

I understand that BGA has made the decision in principal to move up to D-II AAA because their overall athletics program has been competitive with the larger schools in recent years and negates the football issue.

This is similar to what`s been going on at Father Ryan for the past 5 or 6 years- better than average sports programs except for football.

I also think BGA is banking on a total Public-Private split in 2009. They can stomach this for two years

I understand that BGA has made the decision in principal to move up to D-II AAA because their overall athletics program has been competitive with the larger schools in recent years and negates the football issue.

This is similar to what`s been going on at Father Ryan for the past 5 or 6 years- better than average sports programs except for football.

I also think BGA is banking on a total Public-Private split in 2009. They can stomach this for two years

Are you sure? Even if there is a total split they would still have to compete with MBA, BA, MUS, McCallie, ect....