D2 Changes for 2007-2009

jp2fan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that BGA has made the decision in principal to move up to D-II AAA because their overall athletics program has been competitive with the larger schools in recent years and negates the football issue.

This is similar to what`s been going on at Father Ryan for the past 5 or 6 years- better than average sports programs except for football.

I also think BGA is banking on a total Public-Private split in 2009. They can stomach this for two years

This is an interesting theory or is it more of a fact than I think? A total split would be a mistake for all schools. I agree with g2hiking that we need a board of education or TSSAA with some courage to move us to one D1 instead of a complete split.

Any new info on how BGA and Webb are going to go? After BGA's loss to Ensworth the probally should want to go to DII A. If they go to DII AA it is going to be ugly next year.

What about that game? I knew it would be close but with all the talk coming out of BGA about their new coach and how things are looking up I figured they would win this one. Boy was I wrong!

It is my understanding that the D2AA schools have until September 11 (Monday) to make a decision. I guess we will find out then. I agree BGA will have something to think about.

What about that game? I knew it would be close but with all the talk coming out of BGA about their new coach and how things are looking up I figured they would win this one. Boy was I wrong!

It is my understanding that the D2AA schools have until September 11 (Monday) to make a decision. I guess we will find out then. I agree BGA will have something to think about.

So big day on Monday for a bunch of schools.

Good game against Goodpasture jp2fan, I would have liked yall to win that one.

So does anybody want to make any predictions on what the two classes are gonna look like?

DII AA

BA

McCallie

Father Ryan

MBA

MUS

Christian Brothers

Baylor

Briarcrest

PJPII

ECS

St. Benedict

Webb

DII A

Davidson Academy

Rossville Christian

SBEC

First Assembly Christian

David Brainerd Christian

King's Academy

Tipton-Rosemark

Bishop Byrne

St. Andrew's - Sewanee

Harding Academy

BGA

St. George's

Ensworth

So big day on Monday for a bunch of schools.

Good game against Goodpasture jp2fan, I would have liked yall to win that one.

So does anybody want to make any predictions on what the two classes are gonna look like?

DII AA

BA

McCallie

Father Ryan

MBA

MUS

Christian Brothers

Baylor

Briarcrest

PJPII

ECS

St. Benedict

Webb

Ensworth

BGA

DII A

Davidson Academy

Rossville Christian

SBEC

First Assembly Christian

David Brainerd Christian

King's Academy

Tipton-Rosemark

Bishop Byrne

St. Andrew's - Sewanee

Harding Academy

St. George's

I believve BGA will have to stay because of the other sports and Ensworth will want to stay because of their long term plan to play in the highest level in D2.

You're right, Webb football is going to struggle for sure unless they change how they admit student/athletes. Over the past few years they have had opportunities to admit some really good athletes and didn't do it. These athletes applied to Webb and the administration didn't admit them. They were bright kids and could have handled the academics. Instead, these athletes went elsewhere... Catholic, CAK, Bearden, Farragut etc.

Just read a Williamson Herald Article which says:

Final determination on which schools will be placed in which class has not been made yet, but in BGA’s case it will have to be more than just a football decision, according to new coach Tim Johnson.

“We have to do what’s best for everybody at BGA,” he said.

Once all the information is gathered, the coaches and administration at BGA will meet to determine whether it would be more beneficial for all the sports to play in the small or large division, Johnson said.

Based on this it is looking like BGA is gonna play with the big boys now. Hopefully The 08 and 09 classes can come together next year and surprise some people. Both have really good players and it would be a shame for that talent to go to waste.

At Webb, there is always a wait list to get in. When they have a list of candidates available, it's my opinion that the admissions office has a choice at that point to admit athletes or not. I feel that they don't view athletics as important and instead admit applicants that are going to participate in other programs like music and the arts. Their mindset doesn't seem to allow them to see the value of admitting qualified student/athletes that would create a well-rounded student body and foster an atmosphere of academic and athletic excellence. Key leaders at the school are from California and have no clue how important athletics are in the south.

As for BGA... based on what coach said I get the opposite impression. Sounds like to me that they will move to DII A.