Most Annoying Thing at High School Games

Solomon

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

All right, here's my problem with bands, actually several problems. It's stuff that really has risen during the last 10-12 years I believe.

1. Whether they admit it or not, a lot of the band members and their parents actually do believe that the people came to the game to see and listen to the band. Are they a nice fringe-benefit? Sometimes. If fans wanted to watch or hear the band, we'd go to the band competitions on Saturday. Yes, I realize there are a few exceptions to this rule, but band need to learn their place in the heirarchy of high school football.

2. Bands playing during the game. I would absolutely love a ref to throw a flag and call the 15 yarder on the band during a clutch time during the game. I would absolutely LOVE to see a head coach's reaction to this. Goes back to #1 I believe.

3. On road games when the band takes up 30-40% of the visitors seats. It's annoying. Take the pep band to play during the quarters and in-between plays.

4. Band members saying band camp is just as rough or rougher than summer two-a-days. Unless you have a bass drum straped to you, then I don't want to hear it. I will allow some leniency to to guys who carry around a 50 pound drum on them all day. If you play the flute or piccalo, don't tell me how hot it is, especially if you are a male.

5. Show me some creativity at halftime with the shows. Band people are supposed to be the left-brained creative people. Give me new shows outside the box.

6. Just because we live in Tennessee doesn't mean we want to hear Rocky Top as the schools fight song or after a big play. We don't think of ABC High School when we hear that song. Also, even though if it is catchy, the "Hey Georgia Bulldogs" song may end up with me sticking a tuba player in his tuba. For the reason we don't want to hear Rocky Top, the vice versa applies to that one.

7. When you are standing down on the fence, usually because the band has taken up all the room on the stands, and then right before the halftime show the entrie band comes down and stands right in front of you and blocks your view of the game.

There, seven reasons why I don't like the band and think they are pointless to a high school game. But to be fair, I do enjoy majorettes who use the flaming baton trick. Doesn't matter how many times I see it, I still think it is cool.

I totally understand your position on bands AND I know we are talking about high school. However, my college experience was with an HBCU. At HBCU's, the bands and halftime shows are just as, if not, more important than the actual game itself. Yeah, many people show up just to hear the bands. Attend the Tennessee State v/s Jackson State game in Memphis on September 16 and you will get a new perspective on bands.

Now I attend a lot of high school games in west Tennessee, and I honestly think that most of the bands aroung here need a little work.

My biggest gripe without question is the "toddlers climbing all over you".

the band annoys me...especially since there are only 30 people in the entire band...including "color gaurd"

It never seems to occur to anyone that any high school's band could be better and have a lot more people if everyone would support them instead of making derogatory remarks about them all of the time. When I was in band, we had over 100 people marching, but we were constantly put down. Didn't matter that we were actually very good, we were just the "band", and therefore not worthy of anything. My eldest was in the band, all time low of about 20 people. And people sit and complain and wonder why the band isn't any larger, any better. Support from all levels is all it takes, not a constant barrage of putdowns. It won't happen overnight, but it can happen. These kids are just as proud of what they do as any other person doing football, basketball, etc. And yes, I do know this for a fact, as I am a band parent, football parent, basketball parent and soccer parent.

Here's an idea- don't sit by the toddlers

I totally understand your position on bands AND I know we are talking about high school. However, my college experience was with an HBCU. At HBCU's, the bands and halftime shows are just as, if not, more important than the actual game itself. Yeah, many people show up just to hear the bands. Attend the Tennessee State v/s Jackson State game in Memphis on September 16 and you will get a new perspective on bands.

Now I attend a lot of high school games in west Tennessee, and I honestly think that most of the bands aroung here need a little work.

My biggest gripe without question is the "toddlers climbing all over you".

It never seems to occur to anyone that any high school's band could be better and have a lot more people if everyone would support them instead of making derogatory remarks about them all of the time. When I was in band, we had over 100 people marching, but we were constantly put down. Didn't matter that we were actually very good, we were just the "band", and therefore not worthy of anything. My eldest was in the band, all time low of about 20 people. And people sit and complain and wonder why the band isn't any larger, any better. Support from all levels is all it takes, not a constant barrage of putdowns. It won't happen overnight, but it can happen. These kids are just as proud of what they do as any other person doing football, basketball, etc. And yes, I do know this for a fact, as I am a band parent, football parent, basketball parent and soccer parent.

If they would remember their place on Friday night, I wouldn't have a gripe at all with them. However, not many bands do, and they think they are more important than they really are - some to extreme proportions.

Basically, the band is a condiment at a football game. Yeah, they add a little flavor and it probably wouldn't taste right without them, but at the same time, we'd still be able to survive if they weren't there.

It souds to me like some fans need to remember their place on Friday nights: enjoy the game and quit whining about what everyone else is doing

If they would remember their place on Friday night, I wouldn't have a gripe at all with them. However, not many bands do, and they think they are more important than they really are - some to extreme proportions.

Basically, the band is a condiment at a football game. Yeah, they add a little flavor and it probably wouldn't taste right without them, but at the same time, we'd still be able to survive if they weren't there.

I'm guessing all you people that do not like cheerleaders are women, because I've never met a man that did not like to see a cheerleader.

I don't go to a football game to pay attention to or listen to a group of self-absorbed teenage girls. Sorry.

I don't know if you are referring to our band, but if you are you need to go to the next home game and see the dramatic improvement they have made. Very impressive!!!

Unfortunately I was, but not just them. Much like with the cheerleaders, I don't go to the games to watch or listen to the band, but it'd be nice if they didnt' sound awful to the point where you do notice it. It wasn't just the LA band either, the only band that I was really impressed with was the Austin East band last year. That was good entertainment right there. I'm glad to hear the LA band had made improvements. I'm gonna try and make it out for the Catholic game, so I'll see/hear then.

the band annoys me...especially since there are only 30 people in the entire band...including "color gaurd"

Perhaps there is only 30 in your band. The high school I graduated from had 130 at one time. Those who say they hate the band...I'm sure it is because your schools band isn't very good. Those of you whose schools have good bands, I don't see why they wouldn't enjoy them.

Actually, coahces OUGHT to watch their mouths MORE as far as I'm concerned. If you must curse, take your hat off and cover your mouth...or better yet just don't curse. They are teaching kids more than a game, whether they realize it or not. They are also representing the school, their community, and their players. There have been SEVERAL great coaches who did not curse at players OR tolerate cursing BY their players. As far as the tobacco...same story. If it's on a coaches own personal time, then fine, whatever floats his boat, but they are representing more than themselves on that football field and should act accordingly. That's not a whole heck of a lot to ask...it's called sportsmanship.

You are so right! One of the best posts I've read on this topic!! :D

I think my new thread will be: Most annoying posters on CoachT. Everyone will get to complain about what other people write and how people can't spell. It will be very productive. Because once we all get done complaining about it, CoachT land will be perfect. I know, some of you are thinking why complain when we can just ignore the posters we don't like, but then that ruins it for so many people who have nothing better to do than complain.

Well, if it wasn't for all the stuff I mentioned, I would enjoy the game more! :thumb: