Best stadium to play in east Tennessee

sportsfan23

One reason The Ship in Oak Ridge looks half-full is the fact there are a ka-zillion grade and middle school kids running around acting like they're crazy!!!! Also a lot of fans like to stand by the fence. Then the high scoolers just stand around on the track,steps and walkways in the way. I guess it's like music if it's too loud you're too old! Still love THE SHIP.

And I like playing at DB but have to agree about the merging of the fields. The portable visitors stands and lack of restrooms on the visitors side can be a pain, if you know what I mean.

They are working on a nice new building that will be used in part for rest rooms and concessions for the visitors, I don't know if it will be ready this year or not.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey whoa it's really cool to go to a play-off game at Gallatin, they're like Oak Ridge, the school moved but the field stayed where it was. Awesome! I'm sure nobody remembers but we had one heck of a time at the state championship game when we played Gallatin at Vandy. The Holiday Inn was rockin that nite. Met some really great folks from Gallatin that nite after the game. Who says you have to go home mad when you lose? Met some great friends that nite.

Dobyns Bennett has a great atmosphere, but the visitor's stands are too small, and just plain scary. Coming from an Oak Ridge fan, I love to come to a DB vs. OR game. The atmosphere is electric whether played at Oak Ridge or Dobyns Bennett. But due to the visitors stands being portable, shaky, and too small to accomodate a team that travels well I would give a definite edge to Oak Ridge's Blankenship.

The visitors side at Oak Ridge is large enough to handle most any team's following. The setting of being kind of down in a bowl is striking. The smoke, railroad crossing signal, and watching the Wildcats come down the steps with all of the Oak Ridge kids hitting them on the shoulder pads as they come down are great traditions and add to the atmosphere. Most of the current Oak Ridge players stood at those steps and hit former Oak Ridge Wildcats on the shoulder pads as they took the field, dreaming that one day they too would be a Wildcat. The booster club has done a great job with the walk of fame and tailgate area up top. And don't forget when you're looking at total number of fans, that there is an enormous area on the "hill" and other areas that accomodate people. Some of the largest crowds in TN football history have been in Blankenship at Oak Ridge.

Would Nick Orlando please report to the press box?

Not to be picky but it was the Quarterback Club that built those areas, along with the remodeled concession stand- restroom on the hill. And both ticket booths. Put in a lot of time and sweat working on them and just want the credit to go to the right people. The boosters club take care of the players and their needs and the Quarterback Club tries to work on "The Ship". Strickly from donations!

As long as we got it built I guess that's all that matters. The School board should have done it but they just keep letting "The Ship" sink deeper and deeper. You know the old story.... lack of money.

Not to be picky but it was the Quarterback Club that built those areas, along with the remodeled concession stand- restroom on the hill. And both ticket booths. Put in a lot of time and sweat working on them and just want the credit to go to the right people. The boosters club take care of the players and their needs and the Quarterback Club tries to work on "The Ship". Strickly from donations!

As long as we got it built I guess that's all that matters. The School board should have done it but they just keep letting "The Ship" sink deeper and deeper. You know the old story.... lack of money.

Thanks for the clarification. The improvements are excellent. The tailgate area where the food is served before the game is a very inviting place to arrive early and grab a bite to eat.

Polk County has by far the best staduim in east tennessee. The whole atmosphere is awesome when you arrive at the Larry G Davis Football Complex. There is a breath-taking view of the mountains that no other stadium that I have been in has. There are all of the dedicated fans that are everywhere.It is the necest stadium in east tennessee..thats my opinion.So I am voting for Polk County.

The valley where Polk Co. High School is located is beautiful with the mountains in the distance. I know I grew up with a view of those same mountains out the windows in the back of our house. However, have you ever set in the stadium at Gatlinburg-Pittman. Looks like you could reach out and touch the GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS. Hard to beat.

The general consensus on here is that Db has the best place to play, and I definately agree, they have an excellent facility. but as far as the best atmosphere I dont really agree. As a former player, it is much more excitin to play in a stadium where the grandstands are closest to the field. it bring the noise and energy closer to the action. J Fred Johnson stadium is huge and it doesnt reall confine the noise to the area. A place like volunteer can get loud because the crowd is so close to the field and the noise kinda stays confined to the football stadium making it seem much louder