home schoolers

rednex41

I have no idea what the rule is but I wanted to comment on the post. I do not believe that home schoolers should be allowed to participate on a public school sports team. The home-schooled child's family made the decision to not enroll their child in the public school system and instead home-school them. Yes, I know they pay taxes like everyone else does, blah, blah, blah, I've heard it before, but it was THEIR choice to withdraw from public school. There are city recreational leagues in which they can participate. Yes, I know, I've also heard how they want to be more competitive by being on public school teams, etc., but there are some AWESOME travel teams out there which would address that issue as well as give them public exposure for scholarships or whatever else they are looking for. I just don't think it is right. That's my opinion.

All public schools are a function of State and not local government (regardless of the petty turf issues that people have in local communities about "their schools" the fact is that public schools are State schools and not local public schools). Because home school students are citizens of this State, State law (so take your local turf issues and forget about them) allows for them to participate in public school sports as well as any other "extra curricular" activities that would be a part of their educational experience. They have as much right to be there as anyone else.

In some states, home schooled kids are allowed to play sports at public schools. What is the rule in Tennessee? Anyone have any idea?

I can tell you that four years ago when we were homeschooling, my child was allowed to play her sport by the principal of the school we were zoned for had we been in school. Apparently, she played too well because a parent from a competing school called TSSAA and she was there after told she could not play for the school as a homeschooler. We are now in public school.

All public schools are a function of State and not local government (regardless of the petty turf issues that people have in local communities about "their schools" the fact is that public schools are State schools and not local public schools). Because home school students are citizens of this State, State law (so take your local turf issues and forget about them) allows for them to participate in public school sports as well as any other "extra curricular" activities that would be a part of their educational experience. They have as much right to be there as anyone else.

State law does not allow that.

Even if they could "participate", they would, in the case of an athletic team, have to try out like everyone else. That would be the limit of "participation" for those who are not chosen for a particular team.

Sorry, my bad and apology for the misinformation.

I knew the Senate Bill was up for consideration last year and went before the Senate Education Committee. I had been told that the bill was passed. However, after doing some homework, it turns out that action on the bill was deferred and when the Senate ajourned last year, the bill died. I don't know if anyone has resurrected it in this year's Senate session. Since Jim Bryson was the author of the Bill and he is busy running for governor, I doubt it. Here is some info for those who are interested. TSSAA changed their by-laws to allow for participation in "individual sports" but not on a school's team sport. A group of home schooled students can go in together to form their own team and can participate against public school teams though (hmmm - maybe some select team can be formed with home schooled students and play against public school teams -- that would be interesting). Since home schooled children are allowed in some areas to participate in other extra curricular activities (band, etc.), then why not in the area of sports?

http://tennessean.com/education/archives/0...ent_ID=67794851

http://www.hslda.org/Legislation/State/tn/...356/default.asp

http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/tn/TN-Athletics.pdf

Edited by Whitey