New rule by the TSSAA

BigG

Coach Culbreth (Farragut) and I are going to try and address this issue with the TSSAA directly, and appeal to the board how this will greatly affect the quality of soccer in the state of TN as a whole. We have never done this before, but I feel so strongly against this, that I am willing to step up and out and give it a try. If you are a soccer coach, and would also like to be involved, please give me a call at school at 865-690-4721 ext 227 or e mail at CAKsoccer@bellsouth.net

Also, if you have had any experience addressing the board, or advice, please post a response or send us a note. We could use your help.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think (and therefore don't KNOW) that before you go to TSSAA you need to sell this to Tellico Plains, Sequoyah, McMinn Central, Rhea Co, Harriman, Wm Blount, Powell, I suppose the page could fill up.

Big G- for most of the schools, this levels the playing field. It hurts a few, sure, but look at A/AA district 3. It might hurt the 3 schools that always go to district, but has no affect on the other 7. ( I really don't know about Hixon)

Convince the volunteer coach at Tellico Plains with 11 girls and 1 with some training that this is a bad rule and everyone will go along.

I think (and therefore don't KNOW) that before you go to TSSAA you need to sell this to Tellico Plains, Sequoyah, McMinn Central, Rhea Co, Harriman, Wm Blount, Powell, I suppose the page could fill up.

Big G- for most of the schools, this levels the playing field. It hurts a few, sure, but look at A/AA district 3. It might hurt the 3 schools that always go to district, but has no affect on the other 7. ( I really don't know about Hixon)

Convince the volunteer coach at Tellico Plains with 11 girls and 1 with some training that this is a bad rule and everyone will go along.

In the Knoxville area, I'm not certain that any HS team has more than 5 team members from one club team. For example, that would generally mean that 5 freshman, or 5 sophs, etc. would be on the same HS team. I'm not saying I'm for or against the rule, just being sure that I understand the proposal.

The TSSAA is proposing that no more than 5 players from the same school can play on the same club team in the off season. If there are more than 5, then those players are ineligible for Highschool soccer.

I'm a little familiar with the rule, but doesn't this put HUGE pressure on HS coaches. Say if there are 7 players who play club together, isn't it then up to the HS to chose which 5 players he will use on the HS team? ( it's not that all 7 would be inelgible)

Also, has there been any thought about soliciting support from other sports which will be affected by this and band together in order to increase numbers?

And lastly, I would appreciate some direction from a HS coach who can explain the TSSAA rationalization for this proposed rule. I realize that some coaches could put all their HS players on one club team and get a someone to coach them. I'm from a metro area so there are at least some opportunities for a couple of teams in each age group. But what happens to areas where critical mass is such that only one club team could be formed.

I have been heavily involved in club soccer for a while and just don't see the logic in what they are trying to do. Can you imagine what could happen if there were seven to eight VERY GOOD players on one HS & club team team ( all D1 caliber), and were forced to split becasue of this rule. Knowing that college coaches view teams who get into the best club tournaments based on their quality and now you could possbiy keep a player from being seen by a college coach because she is relegated to a second club team in order to play HS soccer. ( or quits HS soccer all together to play on the club team)

Doesn't make sense.

Actually, this hurts the more rural schools than the city schools. In Knoxville, there are several clubs that they can choose from. In the more rural schools, if they have a club, it is usually comprised of kids from the same schools.

And while I understand about leveling the playing field, isn't it just lowering the level of talent across the state? If this proposal passes, more and more players will quit highschool soccer and go club only.

Bean, since the club teams are age based, you could have several from different grades on the same team. While it isn't common, I don't know if the TSSAA needs to regulate this. I know that the TSSAA is into leveling the playing field, but this isn't about public/private. This affects all schools.

How is having players from the same school on a club team a bad thing? Their coach can't coach them, and if someone skirts the rules and does this, don't punish the ones that are following it with the "cannonball to kill the fly". Wouldn't Tellico plains, McMinn Central, and such, want to start a program if possible? If this rule passes, they can't!

Edited by BigGExpress

Also, has there been any thought about soliciting support from other sports which will be affected by this and band together in order to increase numbers?

I have been heavily involved in club soccer for a while and just don't see the logic in what they are trying to do. Can you imagine what could happen if there were seven to eight VERY GOOD players on one HS & club team team ( all D1 caliber), and were forced to split becasue of this rule. Knowing that college coaches view teams who get into the best club tournaments based on their quality and now you could possbiy keep a player from being seen by a college coach because she is relegated to a second club team in order to play HS soccer. ( or quits HS soccer all together to play on the club team)

Doesn't make sense.

Soccer dad... this will GREATLY affect basketball. They can only have 2 players from the same school!

Players are already quitting. Colleges don't look at highschool ball much at all. Watch and see. The guys season this spring is going to be affected by players choosing club over highschool, since TN highschool plays during the spring, when the Dallas Cup is held, as well as huge club playoff tournaments.

And for everyone, please don't think that this is the "powerhouses" fighting to keep their talent. It actually really doesn't affect most of the city schools. I am fighting to keep TN sports on the National Map. I want soccer in TN highschools to keep rising and getting better.

My only other 2 cents; my child plays on a Knoxville D1 club team with girls from half a dozen high schools and that has been a great experience for her- meeting like minded kids from everywhere that have something in common that is not the small town and HS where we live. We drive 3x a week, over 40 miles 1 way to practice and have done this for yrs. Out in the hinterlands, what I run across is that small minds would rather you suffer than them improve.

I'm no lawyer but how can TSSAA regulate what my 16 yr old does when not in school or on school property or field trip?

Any Lawyer? Anyone? Beuler?

I'm no lawyer but how can TSSAA regulate what my 16 yr old does when not in school or on school property or field trip?

Any Lawyer? Anyone? Beuler?

Technically, they are not "regulating club"... 11 players from the same school can play on the same club team... BUT they are regulating that only 5 of those 11 can play highschool soccer.

I realize (as you prolly do) I am playing the devil's advocate on a rainy day- we are of like mind; but the idea that TSSAA can impose a standard of experience on a HS athlete that is not directly related to the rules that govern all high school athletics everywhere - I don't know how it would pass muster.

I know that my daughter's team is all 90's. In fact, only if you had 6 or more girls in the same class on the same HS and Competitive team would a rule like this have any "impact" (pun intended). Perhaps that is wide spread, I don't know.

In any case, I'll sign up- the last thing I would like to see is a group of busy bodies telling others what they can or can't do. We already have a Federal Government for that.

To also let you know, there are several, if not many, other changes that will affect soccer. No more open facilities for guys soccer in the fall or winter (not sure about the girls). One less game in season (from 15 to 14). Limit of 4 pre season scrimmages, that cannot have a score posted, no admission, and refs cannot be paid (though I really don't understand the first or third points of that). We will be allowed to have 10 days of off season practice (which we have not had before) which will be nice, as well as an additional 2 weeks of preseason practice (though no scrimmages can be played during that time) I also believe that they are "outlawing" pre season jambories, although I may have read that incorrectly.

Some of these ideas have some merit, though I really don't understand others (like the open facilities rule). I just think that the 50% rule is the one that will affect soccer the most. "Choose your battles" my mother always used to say.

On a side note: The 50% rules allows 6 not 5 players as previously stated. The "silliest" part of that is the following... "If seven students play on the same non-school soccer team outside of the season, only six of them would be eligible for the same highschool team the following soccer season". So, how in the heck does the coach choose who the 6 are?!

Edited by BigGExpress