New rule by the TSSAA

BigG

Coach Culbreth (Farragut) and I are going to try and address this issue with the TSSAA directly, and appeal to the board how this will greatly affect the quality of soccer in the state of TN as a whole. We have never done this before, but I feel so strongly against this, that I am willing to step up and out and give it a try. If you are a soccer coach, and would also like to be involved, please give me a call at school at 865-690-4721 ext 227 or e mail at CAKsoccer@bellsouth.net

Also, if you have had any experience addressing the board, or advice, please post a response or send us a note. We could use your help.

Whan do they vote on this rule?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whan do they vote on this rule?

EVERYONE!!!!!!

You can go to the TSSAA website and send comments to their feedback page. Look at the top of the page for the word "Feedback" in red. Really can't see the benefit. It discrimincates against # 6, 7 or 8 player. I think most clubs would love to have the top 5 from Collierville or Baylor or any top team on one club, regardless of age. Will 5 really level the playing field. I don't think so.

In my opinion the TSSAA is trying to level the playing field for the "have nots" at the expense of kids who have dedicated a large part of their lives to soccer. My daughter is a junior and she has played "select" club soccer since she was 8 years old. she has missed parties she has missed sleepovers and she has worke d her butt off to improve and be the player that she has developed into. As others have said high school soccer is really just for fun, staus and the chance to wear your school colors out onto the pitch. It's simply not fair to deprive these hard working athletes of this. As Big G said, the more rural schools that want to improve and get better by starting a club team will now be unable to do so. Thus the "haves" will continue to hammer the "have nots".

I clearly see what the TSSAA is doing: they are trying to prevent a high school coach from starting a club team and putting all of his players on it with another (perhaps more skilled" coach. Thus allowing the school team to play year round.

I see many loopholes to this for the larger club areas, that the smaller clubs will not be able to use. So the rich will continue to get richer.

It's just not right.

I see some really good AYSO/rec teams forming, lol! That would skirt the club rule because its open signup...should be some great AYSO leagues coming up, lol!

I see a really nice lawsuit coming. The very idea is ludicrous on the face of it. From a legal sense we would have the TSSAA infringing on our kids right to associate with whomever they choose. This will probably be an opportunity to strike down the off season contact rule also.

I notice the TSSAA rule book has been getting smaller as they get sued.

I certainly don't understand the scrimmage rule that would not allow paid refs. That is nothing short of bizarre. High School refs are the weak link in our sport as it is. We need more of them not fewer, particularly from a safety standpoint.

I see a really nice lawsuit coming. The very idea is ludicrous on the face of it. From a legal sense we would have the TSSAA infringing on our kids right to associate with whomever they choose. This will probably be an opportunity to strike down the off season contact rule also.

I notice the TSSAA rule book has been getting smaller as they get sued.

I certainly don't understand the scrimmage rule that would not allow paid refs. That is nothing short of bizarre. High School refs are the weak link in our sport as it is. We need more of them not fewer, particularly from a safety standpoint.

What happens if someone is injured from an insurance standpoint in a game w/out officials ??

The TSSAA is proposing that no more than 5 players from the same school can play on the same club team in the off season. If there are more than 5, then those players are ineligible for Highschool soccer.

The schools that are complaining are missing the boat with there analysis of the situation. This rule hurts them and would help the bigger schools. The rich would only get richer. Im a big school parent and understand the situation. First, the more rural areas should do exactly what they are complaining about. Since they may not have a big club to participate with, they should form a club team with there high school players and hire a coach. This would allow them to play more soccer, play together and get better.

This rule does not really hurt the big schools because they rarely have more than 5 on the same team because they have big clubs to play in with teams in every age group. THerefore, they dont have to have all there players on one team. They have 4 in one premier age group (u15), 4 in the next age group (u16) and 4 in the next age group (u17). This makes 12 players playing selct club ball getting training and playing year round. The bigger schools in bigger cities do not need to put there players together becsuse they already recieve the training and soccer service they need from club.

The schools that do not have clubs to offer this type of service should definintely be glad they can put all there players from different age groups on a team together. This would allow them to play together year round if they wanted and get better. Therefore, this rule would only handicap the more rural areas, as they dont have a club to assist there players and now they cant even make a team because they dont have the numbers for EVERY AGE group, like the bigger cities have.

Im a AAA parent of school with tradition. Go ahead and pass this rule, it deosnt affect the traditional powerhouse schools anyways, because we have big clubs. THe small rurla schools would now be left with less options and never get better.

A rule would have to pass that eliminates club soccer before you accomplish a "level playing field". That will never happen.

That's just it. I don't want the just the strong to get stronger, I want all of TN soccer to get better. My heart goes out to the rural schools just as much as the big ones. I'm not missing the boat, I'm just looking at the bigger statewide picture.

Big G, im with you completely/ im being sarcastic. I believe this rule hurts the rural schools. Possibly the same ones who appear to be for it. They are missing the boat, not you. They should be glad the rule doesnt exist and go out and form teams. Our school has 3 to 5 players in each age group on a club team. The rule really deosnt hurt the big schools, so therefore the rule doesnt help accomplish what they proponents what it to. That is to level the playing field. It only hurts them and possibly hurts the occasional big class the comes through with 7 or 8 travel players that want to play together and have all there life. They should not be kept from playing high school or the HS coach put inthe position of picking which ones can and cannot.

the rule has no benefit and only has negative consequences for everyone. I will support you any way I can.