New rule by the TSSAA

BigG

BigG, I think you and Wallie already know my take on this idiotic idea. My guess is that it is really aimed at AAU basketball and it is being applied mindlessly across all sports by TSSAA so they don't have to make any intelligent choices. There is absolutely no way this rule can benefit high school soccer--especially in rural areas. I can only think of one or two times in the last 10 years that a concentration of greater than 5 club teammates also played on a single Knoxville high school team. I do know, however, of several more rural areas that started a single "select" team (usually in Division 2) to allow their kids to play together and be decently trained during their high school years. For example, LC had kids from 14-19 playing on the Blazers, many of whom also played for their high school. All of those kids benefited and had fun from the experience and, as you and I both know, LC's high school team had the ability to play tough with any team in the state.

In the 6 years I was at Catholic the most club players we ever had from the same select team was 4. Our starters nearly all played on select teams, just in different age groups or from different clubs. The proposed rule won't usually affect Farragut, Bearden, Catholic or CAK ( or other similar urban schools) in most years; however, if it ever does threaten to affect a group, my guess will be that the club teammates will solve the problem themselves by pulling out of high school soccer altogether to play club ball year round--further weakening our high school sport in Tennessee. What this rule will mostly do, though, is widen the gap between the traditional powers and the rest of the teams. It will lessen the opportunity for competition in soccer, not improve it. It won't "level" the playing field, it will wipe out any semblance of competition in rural areas. How on earth does that promote any aspect of high school sports?

The reduction in games is a little silly as well and the ban on paying referees at scrimmages is mindless and dangerous. What could the justification possibly be for not paying referees? I would also point out that, as coaches, the conduct of matches that are not properly officiated may raise real liability issues in the event of injury.

Is there anything published by TSSAA that explains what they think they are doing? Surely someone has tried to justify the changes and I'd like to hear their explanations. Give me a call if you think I can help. ;)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One other thing crosses my mind about this rule---just a thought --- I haven't researched it.

What if a public high school coach---who is clearly a representative of a governmental school system--- is faced with an "excess" number of players (by rule, more than 6) trying out for a public high school team from a single select team. And what if the public school coach cuts some of those kids from the public high school team, not because they weren't good enough to make the team, but solely because they weren't among the "best 6" from the particular select team group. That sounds alot like the "cut" players, who would have made the team but for their association with a particular group of private citizens outside of school (his/her select team), are now being discriminated against by a governmental entity and denied elements of their constitutional right to a free and appropriate public education---a right that I believe includes the right to fairly participate in extracurricular programs if they are offered.

Guess where this one will end up when Little Johnny's or Little Jill's Mom and Dad find out why their child is crying? ;)

One other thing crosses my mind about this rule---just a thought --- I haven't researched it.

What if a public high school coach---who is clearly a representative of a governmental school system--- is faced with an "excess" number of players (by rule, more than 6) trying out for a public high school team from a single select team. And what if the public school coach cuts some of those kids from the public high school team, not because they weren't good enough to make the team, but solely because they weren't among the "best 6" from the particular select team group. That sounds alot like the "cut" players, who would have made the team but for their association with a particular group of private citizens outside of school (his/her select team), are now being discriminated against by a governmental entity and denied elements of their constitutional right to a free and appropriate public education---a right that I believe includes the right to fairly participate in extracurricular programs if they are offered.

Guess where this one will end up when Little Johnny's or Little Jill's Mom and Dad find out why their child is crying? :thumb:

Hoya,

E mail me, and I will send you a copy of the concerns that I am presenting to the TSSAA. [email protected]

Your arguments are right there with mine... I think that the reasoning for this whole rule is that it is easier to just outlaw it across the board, then to take the time to look at it at an individual sport.

Big G, im with you completely/ im being sarcastic. I believe this rule hurts the rural schools. Possibly the same ones who appear to be for it. They are missing the boat, not you. They should be glad the rule doesnt exist and go out and form teams. Our school has 3 to 5 players in each age group on a club team. The rule really deosnt hurt the big schools, so therefore the rule doesnt help accomplish what they proponents what it to. That is to level the playing field. It only hurts them and possibly hurts the occasional big class the comes through with 7 or 8 travel players that want to play together and have all there life. They should not be kept from playing high school or the HS coach put inthe position of picking which ones can and cannot.

the rule has no benefit and only has negative consequences for everyone. I will support you any way I can.

To limit high school teams from having 5 club players (or whatever number) from the same team makes no sense to me. I really don't understand the purpose of this rule. Is it to make club/select players to make the hard choice between HS ball and club ball??? What is the purpose of this rule? I certainly would like to hear the rationale from whom ever is a proponent of this new rule.

Edited by chasanooga

Hoya and Big G it's unfortunate that the TSSAA's rulemaking process is not as well thought out as the responses and objections that you 2 have formed. I think this rule is ridiculous for any sport. If kids want to put in the effort to play their chosen sport year round, then good for them and they deserve the success that will follow. The rub will come when the High School basketball coach (example) wants his players (who are also outstanding soccer players) to play basketball in the spring instead of club soccer. But, those situations will sort themselves out on a case by case basis.

I for one do not wanty my daughter playing in scrimmages that do not have certified (paid) refs calling the game. There is enough questionable play that goes on with refs calling the game, I can only shudder at what might occur without them calling the games. It's not worth it to take that chance.

I for one do not wanty my daughter playing in scrimmages that do not have certified (paid) refs calling the game. There is enough questionable play that goes on with refs calling the game, I can only shudder at what might occur without them calling the games. It's not worth it to take that chance.

I talked to our basketball coach, and he said that basketball already does this... that the certified refs volunteer their time. I guess out of the goodness of their hearts?

My question is a possible "method of payment". Could the booster club pay the referee? Or a parent? There is NO way I am playing any scrimmage with an uncertified ref.

I REALLY don't understand this part of the proposal. It is almost as senseless as the "no scoreboard" (like no one will know the score if it isn't posted!)

I talked to our basketball coach, and he said that basketball already does this... that the certified refs volunteer their time. I guess out of the goodness of their hearts?

Just because basketball made a bad choice doesn't mean we should.

Just about everything about this rule offends me. Plainly put, the cure is devastating...what is the disease that warrants this?

Does it boil down to TSSAA being jealous of what club sports have brought to athletics? Why 5 or 6 players? Why not 3 or 9? The idiocy of this whole thing is amazing. Unpaid refs? I resent having to pay some of the ones we get now...but the alternative is stupid...and dangerous.

And now that I think about it, are the refs aware of this? Seems like they might be upset at being forced to work for nothing.

This rule could be called the Oak Ridge rule because they require all high school players to play on the same club team - guess who the coach is?

This is not an attack on TN coaches, but on the proposed rule. Let's not bring this to another level, please. If you have a problem with Oak Ridge's coaching, you should approach them or the boosters that hired them.

This rule could be called the Oak Ridge rule because they require all high school players to play on the same club team - guess who the coach is?

You obviously don't know what you are talking about, and are anything but "informed".

First of all, Oak Ridge players are not required to play for any particular team, although many play on the same Oak Ridge team simply because there is only one club in Oak Ridge, which does not have teams for every age bracket, and several of the players play for that club. My daughter, and several others on the team play for Knoxville clubs.

Secondly, Oak Ridge's coach coaches both the boys' and girls' high school teams, and since TSSAA does not allow high school coaches to coach other teams during the high school season, would you care to explain when he is supposed to do this alleged club coaching??

In fact, I think he does an exemplary job of fielding teams that regularly contend for the state championship, despite having a somewhat small pool of players to draw from.

I don't know what your issue is with Oak Ridge or our coach, but you'd better get your facts straight before you go making wild allegations with no proof to back it up.

Edited by xqqqqme

I used to coach in Tennessee at various levels and am now in Indiana. The Indiana high school association allows on 6 players from one school to be on the same club or travel team. It is hard for rural areas or small towns to find other players and that then leaves some high school players with no team. We live in a town that has 3 high school teams in the immediate area and another fairly close. We still haven't formed a team because of rivalries or coaches not caring if their players play out of season. I hope this rule doesn't pass because it will hurt TN high school soccer.

I used to coach in Tennessee at various levels and am now in Indiana. The Indiana high school association allows on 6 players from one school to be on the same club or travel team. It is hard for rural areas or small towns to find other players and that then leaves some high school players with no team. We live in a town that has 3 high school teams in the immediate area and another fairly close. We still haven't formed a team because of rivalries or coaches not caring if their players play out of season. I hope this rule doesn't pass because it will hurt TN high school soccer.

Dr. Soccer, do you think you could contact a few of your fellow coaches and come up with a few points or concerns that would help us? Since it has already passed, you might see some things from the other side, that would help us in the front side.

Please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Thanks!