New rule by the TSSAA

BigG

Coach Culbreth (Farragut) and I are going to try and address this issue with the TSSAA directly, and appeal to the board how this will greatly affect the quality of soccer in the state of TN as a whole. We have never done this before, but I feel so strongly against this, that I am willing to step up and out and give it a try. If you are a soccer coach, and would also like to be involved, please give me a call at school at 865-690-4721 ext 227 or e mail at CAKsoccer@bellsouth.net

Also, if you have had any experience addressing the board, or advice, please post a response or send us a note. We could use your help.

well there is no wonder why you all are worried about the new rule it could help even the playing field for the whole state but of course all you all are worried about is yourself like it has always been shoot i mean CAK should be a private school with the help of recruiting you all are getting from furman but you know how it goes

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a really nice lawsuit coming. The very idea is ludicrous on the face of it. From a legal sense we would have the TSSAA infringing on our kids right to associate with whomever they choose. This will probably be an opportunity to strike down the off season contact rule also.

I notice the TSSAA rule book has been getting smaller as they get sued.

I certainly don't understand the scrimmage rule that would not allow paid refs. That is nothing short of bizarre. High School refs are the weak link in our sport as it is. We need more of them not fewer, particularly from a safety standpoint.

get informed before you talk

As a high school coach, I can say that there is really no need for this rule to exist. Club soccer is seperated by age group if I recall. I came from Texas and now coach here in Nashville, so club coaches please correct me if I am wrong. On our team we have some very talented players but we are not going to put 10 freshmen or sophomores on a team when we have talent in other classes. I can see how you would have more seniors or juniors on the team, but if any of you coaches are picking players based on just their grade level, that could be your first problem with competing right there. Just some friendly advice, pick the best players regardless of how old they are. That is why I don't see this rule as necessary, and will be voting against it at the state meeting.

well there is no wonder why you all are worried about the new rule it could help even the playing field for the whole state but of course all you all are worried about is yourself like it has always been shoot i mean CAK should be a private school with the help of recruiting you all are getting from furman but you know how it goes

???? If you are saying that enacting the rule helps level the playing field, please explain. Unless your intent is to level the playing field by forcing all the club players to abandon high school soccer. If so, the playing field will be level, but at a much lower talent level than currently exists.

I would love to hear your reasoning behind this statement.

My observation is that while some schools have very qualified coaches, that others have coaches that (bless their hearts) don't really know the game, but get out there and try so that the school can field a team. These coaches don't really know how to best improve the play and for the most part don't really have the time required to teach kids to play the very difficult game of soccer. That the players that play club ball are dedicated to learning the game and essentially play year round. By having club teams in some of the rural areas the kids can get better technical coaching and develop. This it seems to me would only serve to level the playing field. If you checked into it, you would find that very few of the successful High School teams have more than 5 players from the same club team. But, all of the successful teams are loaded with club players. So developing club teams in these areas that have historically struggled would improve their chances of success and serve to raise the quality of play throughout Tennessee.

Coach Culbreth (Farragut) and I are going to try and address this issue with the TSSAA directly, and appeal to the board how this will greatly affect the quality of soccer in the state of TN as a whole. We have never done this before, but I feel so strongly against this, that I am willing to step up and out and give it a try. If you are a soccer coach, and would also like to be involved, please give me a call at school at 865-690-4721 ext 227 or e mail at CAKsoccer@bellsouth.net

Also, if you have had any experience addressing the board, or advice, please post a response or send us a note. We could use your help.

hey bigg i have one question for you when it comes to offseason workouts for the girls what can you do and where can you do it our coach is telling our girls that we aren't allowed to do anything and i know for a fact other schools are doing alot more than nothing i know some boys programs who are already doing ball work but what is truly legal and illegal

hey bigg i have one question for you when it comes to offseason workouts for the girls what can you do and where can you do it our coach is telling our girls that we aren't allowed to do anything and i know for a fact other schools are doing alot more than nothing i know some boys programs who are already doing ball work but what is truly legal and illegal

Now, this is for this year (which could/will change for next year)

In the off season, you can have weight work outs that are non sport specific, that is open to all students. (IE: weight room, speed agility quickness training) but anyone from school can come. You can't just say: "This is for boy's soccer players only!"

You can have "open facilities" which is basically, in soccer, allowing the boys/girls to break into teams and scrimmage (within your own school... not against anyone else). Anyone from school can come, not just your team. There can be no coaching/directing/training of the coach at this time.

We do 2 days of weights, and one day of open facilities a week. They are not mandatory (they actually can NOT be mandatory) but we usually have pretty good numbers. I put my captains in charge of most things, since most of the time I am not even there to see who comes (I do middleschool girls in the fall).

Now, all of this may change next year. The proposal is trying to do away with ALL open facilties, but they are giving 10 days in the off season that you can have organized practice. I like it the way it is. What can you really accomplish in 10 days? And you lose 5 MONTHS of open facilities. Now the boys can't even kick around just for fun. I don't like it at all, but I have to choose my battles, and I chose the 50% rule to try and fight.

Hope that helps. As far as some schools doing more, I'm not sure. I don't know of any, but that doesn't mean that some one isn't.

Now, this is for this year (which could/will change for next year)

In the off season, you can have weight work outs that are non sport specific, that is open to all students. (IE: weight room, speed agility quickness training) but anyone from school can come. You can't just say: "This is for boy's soccer players only!"

You can have "open facilities" which is basically, in soccer, allowing the boys/girls to break into teams and scrimmage (within your own school... not against anyone else). Anyone from school can come, not just your team. There can be no coaching/directing/training of the coach at this time.

We do 2 days of weights, and one day of open facilities a week. They are not mandatory (they actually can NOT be mandatory) but we usually have pretty good numbers. I put my captains in charge of most things, since most of the time I am not even there to see who comes (I do middleschool girls in the fall).

Now, all of this may change next year. The proposal is trying to do away with ALL open facilties, but they are giving 10 days in the off season that you can have organized practice. I like it the way it is. What can you really accomplish in 10 days? And you lose 5 MONTHS of open facilities. Now the boys can't even kick around just for fun. I don't like it at all, but I have to choose my battles, and I chose the 50% rule to try and fight.

Hope that helps. As far as some schools doing more, I'm not sure. I don't know of any, but that doesn't mean that some one isn'

thank you very much i might try and contact you to make sure i understand everything my athletic director and i are not seeing this the same way but i will see what i can do

I see a really nice lawsuit coming. The very idea is ludicrous on the face of it. From a legal sense we would have the TSSAA infringing on our kids right to associate with whomever they choose. This will probably be an opportunity to strike down the off season contact rule also.

I notice the TSSAA rule book has been getting smaller as they get sued.

I certainly don't understand the scrimmage rule that would not allow paid refs. That is nothing short of bizarre. High School refs are the weak link in our sport as it is. We need more of them not fewer, particularly from a safety standpoint.

I don't see how TSSAA thinks they have the jurisdiction to dictate what kids do in the off season. They already lost millions fighting Brentwood for years and this is another suit waiting to happen if they pass this.

No question the rural areas would be hurt with the lack of multiple clubs. The level of soccer everywhere would diminish.

I am perplexed that my kids' principal is in favor. I hope that we can galvanize enough support to squash this proposal.

The ref weak link comment was a low blow!!! :thumb:

I don't see how TSSAA thinks they have the jurisdiction to dictate what kids do in the off season. They already lost millions fighting Brentwood for years and this is another suit waiting to happen if they pass this.

Just for clairification, that was Brentwood Academy that TSSAA was fighting in court, not Brentwood High School.

In dealing with the 50% rule you always round up for an odd # of players...So it would be 6 not 5 and 3 in hoops....It is ok for Metropolitian areas but would hurt areas that have only one club option without driving a distance..It is applied in many states and has passed the legal test several times...It is not dictating where kids play as far as club teams..It is dealing with the decision the coach will have to make for the school team on which kids to keep...If 7 are on one team the coach would have to decide which athlete is not on the school team...We at our school are against this proposal...