Who is the band that u come to a football game to watch?

Bassfishing_205

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To you all who think no one comes for the band-- Correction, at Tullahoma High School many parents come to watch the band's half time show. Don't get me wrong, they also come for the game. Band is a sport. We are outside sweating every day to create a half time show. We are playing an instrument (that uses oxygen if you did not know), we are marching at a fast pace (it is not just walking around), and we are in very thick material uniforms. I would like all of you who think it is very simple & easy to give it a try.

ok heres an idea one Friday night at 7:30 instead of having a football game just let the band have there glory an see how many people you can put in the stands.

To you all who think no one comes for the band-- Correction, at Tullahoma High School many parents come to watch the band's half time show PARENTS NOT FANS. Don't get me wrong, they also come for the game. Band is a sport NO ITS NOT. We are outside sweating every day to create a half time show DO YOU GUYS WORK OUT AN RUN OVER THE SUMMER. We are playing an instrument (that uses oxygen if you did not know), we are marching at a fast pace (it is not just walking around)FOOTBALL PLAYERS DO ALOT MORE THEN MARCH AT A FAST PASE, and we are in very thick material uniforms TRY BEING IN SHOULDER PADS PADDED PANTS AN A HELMET. I would like all of you who think it is very simple & easy to give it a try. YOU GUYS GET THE 3 QUARTER TO RUN AROUND AN GET ON PEOPLES NERVES

ok heres an idea one Friday night at 7:30 instead of having a football game just let the band have there glory an see how many people you can put in the stands.

To you all who think no one comes for the band-- Correction, at Tullahoma High School many parents come to watch the band's half time show PARENTS NOT FANS. Don't get me wrong, they also come for the game. Band is a sport NO ITS NOT. We are outside sweating every day to create a half time show DO YOU GUYS WORK OUT AN RUN OVER THE SUMMER. We are playing an instrument (that uses oxygen if you did not know), we are marching at a fast pace (it is not just walking around)FOOTBALL PLAYERS DO ALOT MORE THEN MARCH AT A FAST PASE, and we are in very thick material uniforms TRY BEING IN SHOULDER PADS PADDED PANTS AN A HELMET. I would like all of you who think it is very simple & easy to give it a try. YOU GUYS GET THE 3 QUARTER TO RUN AROUND AN GET ON PEOPLES NERVES

KEV-O...time to give you some facts...I don't expect you to listen, but others can compare this to your flamebait; and can make up their own minds...

Someone tell Dennis Green (NFL coach) that there is no athletic ability at play with marching...he would laugh at you (if not call you some names I will not use here..). He is a big fan of a DCI corps based in Arizona and has watched practices of this group. (HS bands are very similar in performance demands these days.) He compares the members to professional athletes in cardiovascular health and ability.

Bobby Knight took his IU team over to another practice of one of these groups as a demonstration of how TO practice...and how physical it truly is. He is also a big fan. There are many more in professional sports who are fans.

Indiana University did a study of one of these 'band' athletes during a 10-minute run of their show...the demands on the body are similar to a world-class sprinter...except when they stop, they cannot scratch.

These kids are outside...starting in late June (much earlier than football teams...and the guard is usually practicing earlier than that) for longer hours than the football team; many of the competitive groups do running and PT; and not only do football games; but a 10-week contest schedule on Saturdays (after the long Friday nights) doing sometimes 3 shows each day (to PACKED stadiums...); plus parades, community events, and other performances...and that is in the fall. (A lot more activity than football...) Bands do NOT have an off-season...they just have different phases.

Also...after a 1+ mile jog, try to assume the attention position and control YOUR body absolutely still. Do not scratch or even turn your head. THAT is what is required of a marching member of the modern band...AND they have to use air to play an instrument at a level expected of a sit-down concert group..all under complete control. I have seen athletes also do competitive band...and they say the training is MUCH harder than football, basketball, or soccer. TO A PERSON. I had a coach of a recent state-championship football team tell me he wished his football team worked as hard as the band did.

Oh, and on the 3rd qtr break...get over it. The band had practice in the afternoon; played a pep rally; and had been busy with pregame festivities...so they need that break. (Remember, they did NOT have half-time off...) And usually the band members know as much about football as the best fan...remember, they see more games in 4 years that anyone else except the players themselves. And most directors will teach the band about the rules, so they will know how to react and when to prepare to play.

I do not expect this to change your mind...you seem to have your own agenda, as small-minded as it is. This is just for the record, in the case you may be inclined to grow in your understanding of this small corner of the world.

(BTW; I did both football and band, too. So I DO know.)

We don't have any problem with football players, unless they're jerks who, for some reason, have a problem with us.

I'll start out by saying that last Thursday, we had a preview performance at 5:00, in the heat of the afternoon. We managed to get more band fans to come watch our unfinished show than the visiting team at our opening football game had come to watch their team. Also, if you ever go to a marching contest, you'll notice that the stands are packed to the point where people are forced to watch the shows from the fence.

I'll now assist you in understanding how band works by correcting your ignorant comments:

PARENTS NOT FANS.

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying with this outburst. I don't know if you're saying that your parents are not your fans or what. Well, hopefully your parents care enough to show some form of support for your team. As far as band fans go, we had not only parents, but alumni, friends, and music-lovers in the community come into the 100-degree heat to watch our preview show.

NO ITS NOT. (Band is a sport)

Obviously, many people will disagree with you on this comment. If you'll kindly take a look at CoachT.com's message board directory, you'll find a "Band" board. What's the name of the section it is classified under?

DO YOU GUYS WORK OUT AN RUN OVER THE SUMMER.

I'd like to mention that we, along with many other bands, have a band camp before school starts. For me and some others, we began band camp a full two weeks before school started. For two full weeks, we were outside in the heat from 8 to 5 (that's 90 hours over 10 days).

FOOTBALL PLAYERS DO ALOT MORE THEN MARCH AT A FAST PASE

I'll agree with that, but so do we. What we do is not only physically strenuous, but requires the highest focus level possible. Not only do we have to put our feet down at the exact same time 184 times every minute, we have to keep our toes up 6 inches while marching forward, heels up while marching back, shoulders squared to the sidelines, chest up and out, chin up, instrument up and forward and angled correctly, watch down the form to make sure it is right (straight when its supposed to be a line, curvy when its supposed to be an arc, round when its supposed to be a circle, and angled correctly when its supposed to be a diagonal), remember how many steps have to be taken to get to the next form while getting to a paticular point on the field, make every 8-to-5-step be exactly 22.5 inches, make sure the right foot is exactly halfway in front of the left on the "and" of the beat, watch the field commander to make sure we're in tempo, remember where we're at in the music, keep track of where each of the 45 meter changes occur in the music, push down the correct keys on the instrument, play the correct pitch, play with a beautiful tone, articulate correctly, release together, and look good while doing it, all at the exact same time. Has your football team ever broken a referee's arm for getting in the middle of a play? We have.

TRY BEING IN SHOULDER PADS PADDED PANTS AN A HELMET.

Try wearing a long-sleeved, black, wool coat on top of thick, black wool overalls. While you're at it, put on a cotton T-shirt, gloves, gauntlets, and a helmet with a feather duster on top. Also, be sure to ignore the rivers of sweat streaming down your face while you're standing at attention for more than five minutes waiting for pregame to start.

YOU GUYS GET THE 3 QUARTER TO RUN AROUND AN GET ON PEOPLES NERVES

I dunno about you, but we're in the stands from quarter 1 to quarter 4. We can't eat, drink (except water), or run around for even one quarter after the game starts. The only thing I don't understand is why so many fans would sit in the bleachers right next to the band, cheering and clapping along when we play, if we get on their nerves. Maybe your band gets to run around and get on your nerves. I don't know. Maybe you should ask them to stop. Or you should just stop being a jerk.

As I said, I have no problem with football players. I very much enjoy playing at football games and supporting the team. So, I don't understand why you must insult bands that do their best to make you look good. Don't post about things that your know nothing of.

F.Y.I.: Researchers have concluded that band conductors live to an average age of 89 years, while the average person has an average life expectancy at birth of 78.

Good night, my sweet prince.

Edited by Floobagop

We don't have any problem with football players, unless they're jerks who, for some reason, have a problem with us.I'll start out by saying that last Thursday, we had a preview performance at 5:00, in the heat of the afternoon. We managed to get more band fans to come watch our unfinished show than the visiting team at our opening football game had come to watch their team. Also, if you ever go to a marching contest, you'll notice that the stands are packed to the point where people are forced to watch the shows from the fence.I'll now assist you in understanding how band works by correcting your ignorant comments:PARENTS NOT FANS.I'm not exactly sure what you're saying with this outburst. I don't know if you're saying that your parents are not your fans or what. Well, hopefully your parents care enough to show some form of support for your team. As far as band fans go, we had not only parents, but alumni, friends, and music-lovers in the community come into the 100-degree heat to watch our preview show. your parents do not count as fans, you have people that dont even have a kid in high school come out to watch a football game, why do you think at half time the lines are long at the concession standsNO ITS NOT. (Band is a sport)Obviously, many people will disagree with you on this comment. If you'll kindly take a look at CoachT.com's message board directory, you'll find a "Band" board. What's the name of the section it is classified under? Were else would he put the band section??????? in no way shape or form is the band a sport watch a college football game an at half time do they show the bands show,,,,,,,,,,no they talk about the game.DO YOU GUYS WORK OUT AN RUN OVER THE SUMMER.I'd like to mention that we, along with many other bands, have a band camp before school starts. For me and some others, we began band camp a full two weeks before school started. For two full weeks, we were outside in the heat from 8 to 5 (that's 90 hours over 10 days). football players go to camps to an two weeks B4 school starts they have two a days an when you practice you practice in shorts an a tshirt try doing that in 8+ pounds of gear on.FOOTBALL PLAYERS DO ALOT MORE THEN MARCH AT A FAST PASEI'll agree with that, but so do we. What we do is not only physically strenuous, but requires the highest focus level possible. Not only do we have to put our feet down at the exact same time 184 times every minute, we have to keep our toes up 6 inches while marching forward, heels up while marching back, shoulders squared to the sidelines, chest up and out, chin up, instrument up and forward and angled correctly, watch down the form to make sure it is right (straight when its supposed to be a line, curvy when its supposed to be an arc, round when its supposed to be a circle, and angled correctly when its supposed to be a diagonal), remember how many steps have to be taken to get to the next form while getting to a paticular point on the field, make every 8-to-5-step be exactly 22.5 inches, make sure the right foot is exactly halfway in front of the left on the "and" of the beat, watch the field commander to make sure we're in tempo, remember where we're at in the music, keep track of where each of the 45 meter changes occur in the music, push down the correct keys on the instrument, play the correct pitch, play with a beautiful tone, articulate correctly, release together, and look good while doing it, all at the exact same time. try working out for 1 1/2 hours then going to run that mile+ then go an practiceTRY BEING IN SHOULDER PADS PADDED PANTS AN A HELMET.Try wearing a long-sleeved, black, wool coat on top of thick, black wool overalls. While you're at it, put on a cotton T-shirt, gloves, gauntlets, and a helmet with a feather duster on top. Also, be sure to ignore the rivers of sweat streaming down your face while you're standing at attention for more than five minutes waiting for pregame to start. so you practice in that every day an dont get to take some of it off in the 3rd......YOU GUYS GET THE 3 QUARTER TO RUN AROUND AN GET ON PEOPLES NERVESI dunno about you, but we're in the stands from quarter 1 to quarter 4. We can't eat, drink (except water), or run around for even one quarter after the game starts. The only thing I don't understand is why so many fans would sit in the bleachers right next to the band, cheering and clapping along when we play, if we get on their nerves. Maybe your band gets to run around and get on your nerves. I don't know. Maybe you should ask them to stop. Or you should just stop being a jerk.once again just let the band play on friday night a see how many people cheer an clap alongAs I said, I have no problem with football players. I very much enjoy playing at football games and supporting the team. So, I don't understand why you must insult bands that do their best to make you look good. Don't post about things that your know nothing of.Good night, my sweet prince.
some one make a poll asking if band is a sport or not. I bet 90% will say its not

Dearest Kev-O: Thank you SO much for evaluting every little thing I said! That was very sweet of you! Anyway, I would love for you to join the band. I will start you out with a 25 pound sousaphone (the big shiny instrument!!), with a wool uniform, and all the extra stuff we use. I would love for you to learn our drill (those forms we make out there!!), march properly, and then have to high tail it off the field because of the rules that half time cannot run over. I would like you to know, we have this thing called a preview show. It was held last Thursday, and guess what?! Lots of people showed up!!! We do not get a break during third quarter so I don't think we are annoying anyone. I also hope you know that the band is in no way against the football team. We work our butts off to make a show for the halftime & suuport them. & it stinks when people like you don't give us credit when all we do is support the football team. We even go to away games...& guess what...we don't get air conditioned buses with a steak and potatoe dinner. We get the yellow buses with a stop at a food court. I wish people like you would just stop and take the time to appreciate us.

Dearest Kev-O: Thank you SO much for evaluting every little thing I said! That was very sweet of you! Anyway, I would love for you to join the band. I will start you out with a 25 pound sousaphone (the big shiny instrument!!), with a wool uniform, and all the extra stuff we use. I would love for you to learn our drill (those forms we make out there!!), march properly, and then have to high tail it off the field because of the rules that half time cannot run over. I would like you to know, we have this thing called a preview show. It was held last Thursday, and guess what?! Lots of people showed up!!! We do not get a break during third quarter so I don't think we are annoying anyone. I also hope you know that the band is in no way against the football team. We work our butts off to make a show for the halftime & suuport them. & it stinks when people like you don't give us credit when all we do is support the football team. We even go to away games...& guess what...we don't get air conditioned buses with a steak and potatoe dinner. We get the yellow buses with a stop at a food court. I wish people like you would just stop and take the time to appreciate us.

this is what i said on another board

--------------------------------

I hate to say this but the band is a part of high school football they go hand an hand there is nothing like your team getting a TD ( touchdown or 6 points for you band members that dont know whats going on in a football game) an your band is playing your fight song.

---------------------------------

When i appreciated the band you jumped on me because you didn't read my post. I know i look like the bad guy one here but i said what i thought about the band, an i had to defend the football team when you guys said band is harder then football, an when you guys said you were athletes. I will meet you guys half way on this an say you are performers or artiest,,,,,but i still would not say athletes

I did see that post you made, and I was happy you posted that.

Listen, it does take a certain level of athletics to march an entire show. Whether you get that or not, oh well. I personally don't think football is easier...I don't know since I don't play. & you don't know about marching since you are not it the band. I just really wish you would give us more credit for what we do in the half time show. It is not just walking around, whatsoever. The band watches the football team, but I don't think any football team takes the time to watch the band.

I did see that post you made, and I was happy you posted that.

Listen, it does take a certain level of athletics to march an entire show. Whether you get that or not, oh well. I personally don't think football is easier...I don't know since I don't play. & you don't know about marching since you are not it the band. I just really wish you would give us more credit for what we do in the half time show. It is not just walking around, whatsoever. The band watches the football team, but I don't think any football team takes the time to watch the band.

ok, ive done both when i was in high school, i never got physical exhausted during band, but football on the other hand is a different story, that 25 pound sousaphone someone was refering to, try making it a 325 lb defensive linemen who doesnt want to go along with you, the people who say band was physical exhausting was the lazy out of shape ones, dont tell me we didnt have a good band, we had one of the best ones in East TN