Good quality camera question

Okay....several questions about this QB.

You bought your body?

It`s only worth 800 now..does that mean you are going downhill (exercise might help)

Are you selling your body online?

VG (who is concerned about QB)

VG - I think I probably should have read ALL the posts all the way through before replying to QB's post about buying herself a new body. I should have known you would pick up on that too! Wonder if she watches that show "Nip/Tuck"?? Not that I have watched it, but I hear that doctor on there can do wonders for a body!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want this lens, which is essential for sports.

You will be dissatisfied with a $300 lens.

ef70-200_28lu_586x225.jpg

Canon Lens 70-200 mm

Thanks Stan...So far, the Rebel looks like the camera of choice. Now comes the hard part: finding around a $300 lens thats best suited for sports. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking maybe the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM possibly?

• 4 weeks later...

Stan's right about the lens: The Canon f2.8 70-200 IS USM is a must. It sells around $1,600 to $1,800. As long as you are having to make the "jump into debt" to get the lens, I would recommend spending an additional $400 or so to get the Canon 30D or pick up a used 20D. You can probably buy a used 20D around $800. Having researched this for almost a year .... I felt like there was enough of an improvement over the Rebel to spend the extra.

But if you're serious about shooting HS sports you should probably be prepared to spend $3,000(camera, lens,compact flashcards, external hard drive). I know its alot of money but if you work hard you'll have it recaptured in a year or less.

Williamson County High School Sports

Edited by BigDogDaddy

• 2 weeks later...

Stan's right about the lens: The Canon f2.8 70-200 IS USM is a must. It sells around $1,600 to $1,800. As long as you are having to make the "jump into debt" to get the lens, I would recommend spending an additional $400 or so to get the Canon 30D or pick up a used 20D. You can probably buy a used 20D around $800. Having researched this for almost a year .... I felt like there was enough of an improvement over the Rebel to spend the extra.

But if you're serious about shooting HS sports you should probably be prepared to spend $3,000(camera, lens,compact flashcards, external hard drive). I know its alot of money but if you work hard you'll have it recaptured in a year or less.

Williamson County High School Sports

Canon or Nikon.. whichever they are both good value for money. Personally I shoot Nikon.

Indoor sports like basketball.. cheapest lens Canon and Nikon make will work superbly(and with using flash)! With film the classic 85mm f1.8 lenses are great but when you multiply the effective focal length for digital the good ole 50mm lens no-one wants, works as a 75mm or so and for indoor basketball and volleyball you will do great!

VR lenses are a complete waste of money for indoor sports like basketball! WHY? simply because at most of the high school gyms wyou will find yourselve shooting at shutterspeeds over 1/250th to try an freeze the subject. VR removes shake and does not freeze the subject so taking pictures at 1/60th handheld in a gym is always gonna mean blurry pics. Unless you just have too much money to spend save the extra cost on a vr and buy a monopod.

For football the same issues with speed apply. Some folk use flash and some dont. Personally I hate flash and I guarantee the fans opposite you do to!

The number one concern in a camera is ISO if you can go over 1600 you will have a lot of trouble without using flash! I find myself using ISO 3200 and in some Gyms ISO 6400. You will hear whining about noise in high ISO settings but just ignore it. Better to get the picture with noise than not at all, and you can always post process a lot of the noise out.

If you plan to shoot for a newspaper or clients take weather into consideration and be prepared for it if you shoot outdoors! Tenba make a great camera raincoat for under $50. you cant not shoot just because its cold and wet! A few weeks back I had to wipe frost of my bag on a sideline after a game!

Right now I think the best sports camera on the used market is Nikons D2H.You can pick em up for around $1200 and you get an 8fps camera with a ISO setting whichs tops out at 6400 and wont cry if you get a splash of rain or two on it!. THe Battery will get something near 2000 shot per charge and it doenst care how hot or cold it is! This camera and a $50 f1.8 lens will get you great basketball pictures. Get a nikon AF 80-200 lens for another $500 and a monopod for a hundred bucks and you will have enough change from $2000 to get a flash!

• 2 weeks later...

dang... i just discovered the PHOTO section of this board.... its amazing. i want to be a photojurnalist, so this is awesome

HS sports, band , and photo

this site is amazing and has every thing i LOVE

as for me im still shootin a 35mm Nikon N75 that i grabbed on sale for around 350 a few years back. iv also got a 70-300mm lens that lets me shoot anything i want. i love it but would love to have the $$$ to buy a DSLR.

Edited by herefortheband

I used a Canon digital rebel XT for our entire football season. Managed to amass about 3,000 pictures that I could classify as "keepers".

I used a Sigma 70-200 zoom 2.8f lens and operated the camera in the "creative zone". Generally I would be able to shoot at about 250/th shutter speed but it generally depended on where I was positioned and what angle I was shooting onto the field (if the shots were coming from the stands and hitting the center area of the field I would get more light and get a faster shutter speed, if I was on the field and shooting across, the shutter speeds would slow down as the amount of light was diminished some).

I would generally shoot something between 150-250 shots a game, come home and scroll through them all, discarding what hadnt gotten enough light and was blurry, or just in general were "bad" shots. I recommend getting a 2gb flash card and just going nuts when taking pictures. You will find some amazing shots in the mix and will discard those that don't do well.

I then utilized walgreens.com and posted every "keeper" for our entire school to pull from. All it took was to make sure that everyone had the login and password and they could go and select the ones they wanted, choose the walgreens they wanted them from and then just go pick them up the next day.

The biggest consideration when buying a camera is not just the body, in fact if I weighted the importance of body vs. lens, I'd say the lens is the most important. Without a low f stop. The lower the number the better. You'll end up spending 1200-1500 for a canon lens and about 700-900 for the sigma equivalent. Both lenses are great lenses for football at night.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I hope you find it helpful. Have fun, it's an addicting thing once you get into it.