Rule Question

Knightime

I always thought the rule on a punt was that if it touched a player on the recieving team it was a live ball, but could not be advanced from the spot of recovery.

Anyone Know the exact rule?

Thanks

I believe they just made that exact rule in the NFL and college in the last couple of years. However, I believe in high school, the kicking team can advance it.

In looking at the tape of the play in question, the ball did in fact hit a member of the receiving team and was a live ball that the kicking team could recover and they should not have been allowed to advance the ball. It should have been the kicking teams ball where the player picked it up and the covering official should have blown it dead at that spot. The official did throw his bean bag where the ball hit the receiving team player. The question that I have after looking at the tape is, did the ball hit a member of the kicking team before it hit the receiving team player? It looks like it may have hit a K player first, but it is really hard to be 100% sure from looking at the film. If it did, then that would have been the spot of first touching and it would have been R's ball at the spot.