AAA State Champions?

kickgrass

They could not play highschool soccer until they were done with club.

Can anyone tell me the reason that TSSAA has such a rule?? I have sent letters to TSSAA and inquired (politely) as to the need for the rule and have not received an answer to the question other than an insolent, "That's the rule."

I don't see the need for a rule that prohibits club play concurrent with HS play. Club play is not a school activity and is not played on school property. I do not see it as any different from going to the mall or bowling or playing club volleyball (which would be allowed while playing HS soccer). Therefore the issue at hand cannot be "overtaxing" the kids as some have indicated.

Actually, Virginia has eliminated the rule as has Maryland as well as several other states that I cannot recall offhand. The reason for the repeal of this rule is that it interferes with player development and puts the kids at a disadvantage for being seen by college coaches compared with kids from states without this rule. In Tennessee key tournaments such as the Surf Cup and WAGS are not available to the girls because of this rule. These are important events if you want to get seen by the top schools. So, what's up with this?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TNHSsoccer, this will be so easy I'm embarrassed to write it:

College teams recruit at club tournaments because they can see multiple teams play multiple games over a weekend, as opposed to one high school game one night. Also, in Tennessee, the high school season coincides with their seasons, so the college coaches don't get out much to watch younger players.

Do the math: Would you want to spend a portion of your recruiting budget and time traveling to watch one game or possibly a dozen or so games in one trip?

That was easy!

Try again. If you're lucky, I won't notice it and embarrass you again.

Actually, the reason that college coaches recruit almost exclusively from club teams and club tournaments is because there is a higher quality of player there and higher quality ball is played by club teams. Coincident seasons have nothing to do with the issue on a regional basis. Every college coach I have spoken with (and there are many) will tell you that HS is alot of fun for the players, but that is about it. I am afraid that TNHSsoccer is more right than wrong here.

Actually, the reason that college coaches recruit almost exclusively from club teams and club tournaments is because there is a higher quality of player there and higher quality ball is played by club teams. Coincident seasons have nothing to do with the issue on a regional basis. Every college coach I have spoken with (and there are many) will tell you that HS is alot of fun for the players, but that is about it. I am afraid that TNHSsoccer is more right than wrong here.

Yeah, we are all about the fun. We don't teach them anything. I don't know why we even call ourselves coaches. Maybe we should call our practices "recess" instead. :thumb:

I, for one, am sick and tired of people bashing the level of highschool coaching, and highschool playing. Read my previous posts. I agree that club soccer is the number one tool for college recruiting, but does that mean that highschool soccer is worthless? There are many highschool coaches that could coach in club or college, but choose to be in the school setting. There are highschools that run a more complicated tactical game plan than some of the colleges that I have seen, let alone club. This mindset that club is everything and highschool is "peachy keen" is what drives wedges between the two, when they need to be working together to promote TN soccer.

If I read you wrong Soccer37830, I apologize. I just will not sit by and let people say that highschool coaching is "mediocre at best" and that it is "a lot of fun, but that is about it" about something I love and respect.

I will now start climbing down off my soapbox. I need to get my dodgeballs ready for practice. :lol:

Yeah, we are all about the fun. We don't teach them anything. I don't know why we even call ourselves coaches. Maybe we should call our practices "recess" instead. :D

I, for one, am sick and tired of people bashing the level of highschool coaching, and highschool playing. Read my previous posts. I agree that club soccer is the number one tool for college recruiting, but does that mean that highschool soccer is worthless? There are many highschool coaches that could coach in club or college, but choose to be in the school setting. There are highschools that run a more complicated tactical game plan than some of the colleges that I have seen, let alone club. This mindset that club is everything and highschool is "peachy keen" is what drives wedges between the two, when they need to be working together to promote TN soccer.

If I read you wrong Soccer37830, I apologize. I just will not sit by and let people say that highschool coaching is "mediocre at best" and that it is "a lot of fun, but that is about it" about something I love and respect.

I will now start climbing down off my soapbox. I need to get my dodgeballs ready for practice. B)

Well spoken.

Yeah, we are all about the fun. We don't teach them anything. I don't know why we even call ourselves coaches. Maybe we should call our practices "recess" instead. :thumb:

I will now start climbing down off my soapbox. I need to get my dodgeballs ready for practice. :thumb:

I have posted a couple of times and hope that I continue to be consistent in my thought. HIGH SCHOOL COACHING/SEASON is absolutely not worthless. For anyone to suggest that it is, doesn't understand the game very much.

My daughter had very good high school coaching. They were ( are) very knowledgable both in the tactical and technical part of the game and communicated very well. As a matter of fact, probably communicated the game ( substitute communicated with taught) better than some club coaches. Please don't misunderstand me. Club coaches are very good as well. But HS is special.

My daughter would never give up the experience she had in HS. As a matter of fact, if forced to make a choice, she would probably give up club for HS. Her HS coaches made it a great experience for her and motivated her in ways her club coaches never did. Club soccer was a means to an end. Yes, college coaches had more contact with her club coaches than HS but that did keep them from working with the HS coaches as well. HS was FUN for my daughter. She enjoyed it everyday. Her HS team was fortunate to make to state finals three out of her four years and she was able to participate in each of them. That is an experience her HS coaches gave to her and made her a better player at the same time. Club soccer was sometimes as effort. A necessary effort, but an effort nevertheless. ( club coaches helped make her better as well)

I hope she enjoys playing for her college coach as much as she enjoyed playing for her HS coach. I also hope her college coach communicates the game as well as her HS coach.

High School coaches are the very best value out in the soccer community. As parents we need to realize their value and support them more than we do. I know that I will miss their influence on my daughters life, now that she prepares to move on and do other things.

I have posted a couple of times and hope that I continue to be consistent in my thought. HIGH SCHOOL COACHING/SEASON is absolutely not worthless. For anyone to suggest that it is, doesn't understand the game very much.

My daughter had very good high school coaching. They were ( are) very knowledgable both in the tactical and technical part of the game and communicated very well. As a matter of fact, probably communicated the game ( substitute communicated with taught) better than some club coaches. Please don't misunderstand me. Club coaches are very good as well. But HS is special.

My daughter would never give up the experience she had in HS. As a matter of fact, if forced to make a choice, she would probably give up club for HS. Her HS coaches made it a great experience for her and motivated her in ways her club coaches never did. Club soccer was a means to an end. Yes, college coaches had more contact with her club coaches than HS but that did keep them from working with the HS coaches as well. HS was FUN for my daughter. She enjoyed it everyday. Her HS team was fortunate to make to state finals three out of her four years and she was able to participate in each of them. That is an experience her HS coaches gave to her and made her a better player at the same time. Club soccer was sometimes as effort. A necessary effort, but an effort nevertheless. ( club coaches helped make her better as well)

I hope she enjoys playing for her college coach as much as she enjoyed playing for her HS coach. I also hope her college coach communicates the game as well as her HS coach.

High School coaches are the very best value out in the soccer community. As parents we need to realize their value and support them more than we do. I know that I will miss their influence on my daughters life, now that she prepares to move on and do other things.

Thank you SoccerDad2! Well said! HS soccer is a different bird from club ball, but it's all about the beautiful game!!!! We both have our places and we both further the game and inspire our players to excel at the sport and at life.

In my coaching experience (which started in the 70's), the BEST soccer in the world is soccer, on the community level, that compliments each other (rec, travel, school) - just as we do in so many communities across America. As a result, our sport is prospering and our excellence is ascending. Go USA soccer!!!

The original soccerdad

Edited by soccerdad

it is true that college coaches recruit mostly from club ball; however, high school soccer is very essential to a player that wants to play college ball because they are so many similarities.

You have conditioning/preseason training

practice everyday

travel with team and see them everyday

bonding as a team that you don't get with club ball

my high school years made the transition into college alot easier, i think my high school ball helped alot.

as for coaching, i learned alot of stuff in high school; granted i had two different coaches with two different styles. One being a control, move down the flanks (Oak Ridge), and the other being tactical defense with counter attacks or breaks in the opposers defense (Bearden). to say that high school is worthless is a joke, the sheer fact of playing so much soccer has to be a benefit no matter who your coach is, i don't care if your coach is Dr. Seuss the players will still benefit somewhat by it.

I have watched CAK, Catholic, Christian Brothers, BGA, Gtown Houston, etc. play and those team plays really good soccer, great passes, great movement, great touch, great communication, great formation, etc. those things don't come along without good coaching.

i am glad i had my high school soccer,

The Tin Woodsman.