Pope John Paul II vs. Knoxville Webb

sectionb1234

These two schools have locked horns before and Webb has had the edge, however they have to travel to JPII for a big contest that will deternine who will play for the Champinonship of the Division II AA. Earlier this year, JPII beat Webb in Hendersonville. For those who cannot make it to the game, check out www.schoolsportsradio.com and listen to Tennesse's most complete high school coverage of the Play-By-Play action. Join, Kirk Smith along with Jim Edwards as they cover the state begining with the "Statewide Stadium Show" 30 minutes prior to kickoff. School Sports Radio is produced by Dean Johnson, 931-215-7737.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Predictions? Webb carries lots of momentum into the playoffs after defeating ECS 36-13 in the last game of the regular season. Can Webb stop not only golden but now his little brother. Golden's little brother was one of the biggest reasons they won the regular season contest. These two schools have met 5 times in the past 3 years and this will be the 6th. Webb holds the advantage 3-2 and 4-2 if you count PJP first year of football.

Predictions? Webb carries lots of momentum into the playoffs after defeating ECS 36-13 in the last game of the regular season. Can Webb stop not only golden but now his little brother. Golden's little brother was one of the biggest reasons they won the regular season contest. These two schools have met 5 times in the past 3 years and this will be the 6th. Webb holds the advantage 3-2 and 4-2 if you count PJP first year of football.

JPII 27 - KW 21

JPII has a much more balanced attack now with the addition of Wesley Tate in the backfield. They can double Golden all they want too but the DB's will have to have their eyes in the backfield to stop the run up the middle. Wesley Tate is a much better between the tackles runner than Golden. He doesn't hesitate and hits the hole hard. He will be a top notch player next year.

JPII 27 - KW 21

JPII has a much more balanced attack now with the addition of Wesley Tate in the backfield. They can double Golden all they want too but the DB's will have to have their eyes in the backfield to stop the run up the middle. Wesley Tate is a much better between the tackles runner than Golden. He doesn't hesitate and hits the hole hard. He will be a top notch player next year.

i agree, golden and wesley are very good football players and wesley does have a lot of potential, however i believe that the momentum webb has picked up through out the season (especially the recent game against ecs) is enough for them to pull it out 17-10 against PJPII

A Good exciting game last night. 1 point decides the game, as a fan you cant ask for more than that even if you are on the loosing side. As far as feelings for the players I find it hard to believe that there could be a worse feeling than a season that ended on a penalty. Tate scores with 1 minute left on a long run and the play is call back for a holding call away from the play.

Congratulations to Knox-Webb on a well played Wing-T offense.

Well as always it wait till next year for the Knights. JPII needs to make One change on its coaching staff. Mainly the defensive line.

Jason Cook(JPII D-Line Coach) Must go. He is not a Teacher / Coach of the game he is a screamer. He does not build his players up but constantly tears them down... (3 Years of having a poor D-line should tell you that its time for a change.) He must have screamed at every player on the line last night. Even one player who had not seen much action this year. #67 got in the game for a few plays, He missed a tackle on one play and got screamed at so bad people in the stands told me you could hear it up by the press booth. This is his M.O. for how he coaches all year long. It doesnt appear to be getting through to his players, They basicly tune him out. Screaming and Fear will not motivate a player at the end of the season but a little teaching goes a long way. He might take a lesson from the Knox Webb coach who I saw teaching and encouraging his players after a JPII touchdown. I think it goes a bit farther than constantly screaming.

I look / HOPE for him to be gone next year.

Enough of my post game, post season clammer its time to congratulate Webb and wait till next year. Good Luck Webb. Hope they smash ECS and take the title.

Knightime... you're right. Both teams left it all on the field. What a show put on by Golden. Webb's QB put on just as an impressive show himself. Two seniors who were giving their all.

Webb's coaches all prescribe to teaching rather than yelling. It works for them, their kids respond to it. They absolutely get the MOST out of each and every kid. On both sides of the ball they probably play only about 15 kids total.

Regarding Coach Jason Cook.... Knight time--- I do not know if you have ever actually played for Coach Cook but I can tell you with 100% assurance that you are dead wrong about Coach Cook. My son is a former football player and wrestler. I can tell you that yes he does yell. He yells alot... But Jason Cook shows those kids more love and actually instructs them a heck of alot more than most High School coaches do. If you were to actually watch... he will yell at a kid then coach him up then either slap him on his helmut or butt with tremendous encouragement. Coach Cook is my favorite coach at JPII and I am sorry that people such as yourself have the wrong opinion of him. Pay attention to more than the initial yelling. Having said that.... Coach Cook is the D- coordinator... he may coach linemen as well but I do not think so. The JPII defense started eight seniors for most of the year and they were reaaly weak for seven of the eleven games. Time for a scheme change.

Great football game... By the time it was over, I felt like I had played the game. The Knights seniors, to a man, left it all on the field. What impressed me about the Webb team was the conditioning of their players. The majority played both offense and defense. I felt like they were starting to tire at the end, however, they gutted out that last JPII possession and stopped the Knights. Golden did put on a show. Number 1 from Webb put on quite the show as well. Not only did he play outstanding quarterback, handling the ball without error and making beautiful cuts against the flow of the defense, he made the biggest defensive paly of the night by stopping Golden on the two point conversion attempt. Great game and good luck to Webb on Saturday