Camera Advice

:unsure: Wow! Thanks a lot EVERYONE! So much to learn! :lol: LOL I am going to have to hit Pawn shops for items though (still feeding football players) LOL I can start a bit at a time! I appreciate everyone's help! Have you all priced on Ebay. They seem to have some stuff there. You just have to really watch who you buy from.

See you all at the games!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:unsure: Wow! Thanks a lot EVERYONE! So much to learn! :lol: LOL I am going to have to hit Pawn shops for items though (still feeding football players) LOL I can start a bit at a time! I appreciate everyone's help! Have you all priced on Ebay. They seem to have some stuff there. You just have to really watch who you buy from.

See you all at the games!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Glad to help. Stay away from Ebay, it is for sellers only. Those "packages" are a rip-off. Stan is correct, you can't do much better than B&H. Stan is incorrect when he says bigger is better. Maybe in somethings, but in lenses, it is the f speed. You can have a 100-300mm f/5.6 and need a flash to see anything in the picture. Where a 70-200 f/2.8 won't need one. Some schools won't allow flash indoors. Get the fast lense, cost more, but it is worth it.

Edited by robjim

I have always used a Sony video camera (DCR-TRV900) which allows you to take still frames from the video. I like it because I don't have to be a very good photographer. However, my camera saves the still images to 3 1/2 inch floppies and I am having problems doing that now. Supposedly the new cameras like mine are not nearly as good as the one I have.

Coacht, get this lense if you get the rebel. Best lens for indoor and don't need no flash. When/if you get the rebel, I'll let you borrow mine for a test.

If you are going to get the battery grip, get an extra battery. It holds two.

85mm

Glad to help. Stay away from Ebay, it is for sellers only. Those "packages" are a rip-off. Stan is correct, you can't do much better than B&H. Stan is incorrect when he says bigger is better. Maybe in somethings, but in lenses, it is the f speed. You can have a 100-300mm f/5.6 and need a flash to see anything in the picture. Where a 70-200 f/2.8 won't need one. Some schools won't allow flash indoors. Get the fast lense, cost more, but it is worth it.

Ok Thanks so much! I will not go on ebay! :)B) saving pennies now! LOL

Keep warm friday night folks!! Woo! Hoo! MORE FOOTBALL!! LOL Drive safely!! B)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Coach, I've had the 100-300 that is on your list. It's ok, just got to have enough light. I gave mine to my daughter and I've got a 70-200 f/4 L that I really like. The 85mm is best for indoor sports, cause it is so quick.

Here's another good link.

Review of Rebel Lenses

Will teh 85mm zoom in close enough in a gym to get good shots or would I be limited to action right in front of me? Say, if I wanted to zoom in on the student body, how close would I have to be?

That's awesome coacht! I know a little bit about how all that works by my camera I have now has all the customizable controls on it, but I have a feeling it will take alot of playing around with it to get the right settings. Maybe we can get together at a ball game and we can both learn.