Suggestion for TSSAA

Solomon

Coach with all due respect, why is it a separate issue? A pot of money is a pot of money. Insurance cost's and staff cost's are all apart of the over all operating expenses of a "Non Profit" organization.

I am not a real smart man or a financial wizard but in 2004 the T$$AA reported it paid $367,753. for its 13 officers, staff and directors. Then reported another $326,141. for other wages and salaries for the same 13 people or maybe officals I'm not sure. Then on top of that another $348,793. in what is reported as pension plan contributions, pay roll taxes and "Other Employee benefits" is also paid. Still all travel and expenses are also paid out of the organizations till.

Great job and compensation if you can get it!!

The insurance for the kids, officials and coaches I think works out to be $950,548. and at the end of the year $634,628. was in the bank at the end of tax year 2004. Then that year legal services was also paid to a tune 0f $92,454. for something.

Like I said I am not a smart guy but I see very little coming back to the kids. The T$$AA gives $1000.00 to 27 different athletes who are selected for various awards during the year. Aside from that what do the kids get? You would think they would pay for the state rings for the winners of the championships and something for the runners-up. But nothing like is done for the kids. During Football state championships the City Murfreesboro makes big money off the families traveling to the games to support thier teams. What does that town give them? "ZERO"!

Families pay big money to follow their teams and kids around the state for various athletic competitions and even more so during the play-offs. To me it is important to have well qualified officials and quality fields for the kids to play on but let's not kid ourselves the T$$AA is making huge money off the kids and families backs and some of the people who are employed within the organization are living large.

$7. is not a big deal to me and my family of 5 but I am not everyone. Students should be able to get into the game for a lot less in my opinion.

Edited by FBEmeritus

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone thinks the TSSAA staff ... and the board of control are not basically the same, then they are wearing rose-colored glasses.

It has been proven on many occasions that despite the wishes of a majority of schools, something the staff recommends, generally happens.

While I don't waste time pointing out the obvious about this organization, I do think appropriate nicknames should be appointed to them. Perhaps Mugsy, Bugsy, Scarface, etc. etc.

Schools, who dish out the real money, don't have nearly the say one would think, but this is the hand we are dealt. As long as they put on a good show during championships, feed all us media types and keep us happy, continue snowballing the public that they care about the kids, then no change will ever happen.

Lower ticket prices? Please ... I would, however, expect ticket prices to go UP in the near future.

The reason I said the schools themselves is because I know that ultimately the power lies with the schools.

Friday night at the game I attended, the attendace was sad. This was a PLAYOFF game, and there was about half the people that were there for the regular season game. And then I looked down and the student section was at best half full. Even down in the endzone where the kids usually stay, it was nowhere nearly as crowded. Maybe coldness had part to do, but I've got to think prices are a part of it too.

With all the stuff you hear about trying to keep kids out of trouble and the like, you would think this would be a no-brainer by giving the kids a cheap night of entertainment and at the same time, support the school as well.

Edited by Solomon

With all the stuff you hear about trying to keep kids out of trouble and the like, you would think this would be a no-brainer by giving the kids a cheap night of entertainment and at the same time, support the school as well.

Well see, that’s the thing. The T$$AA DOSEN”T care about the kids. Every kid could end up in jail or shot, and Ronnie & Company wouldn’t care. Originally, what was formed as the TSSAA was intended to be an organization to help the kids and help organize high school sports. But the T$$AA isn’t an origination anymore. It’s a business. What was originally started for the kids of Tennessee has turned into a money making machine, which doesn’t care about what happens to the kids. The only reason it has insurance policies is so it can’t get sued. Why do you think they moved the Spring Fling to Memphis for three years? Because Memphis offered the Most $$$$$. And that’s all the T$$AA is about now-a-days: $$$$$$$$$$$$!!!

Are there really any students on here that think $7 is too much? I very highly doubt it. This is just another thing for people to cry about the TSSAA for. If a student goes to all 10 regular season games that's only $50. That's less than $1 a week for a year. Maybe you parents should teach your children how to save a little money. I'm sure if a kid does not have $7 for a playoff game all they have to do is knock on a few doors and offer to rake someones yard or wash their car for the game ticket. Come on people, think about it.

Are there really any students on here that think $7 is too much? I very highly doubt it. This is just another thing for people to cry about the TSSAA for. If a student goes to all 10 regular season games that's only $50. That's less than $1 a week for a year. Maybe you parents should teach your children how to save a little money. I'm sure if a kid does not have $7 for a playoff game all they have to do is knock on a few doors and offer to rake someones yard or wash their car for the game ticket. Come on people, think about it.

Not really. Search my quotes. See if I cry about the TSSAA. You'll find none. And yeah, I've heard many students gripe about $7 being too much.

You want my opinion? Students should never be charged to go to a game.

Edited by Solomon

Not really. Search my quotes. See if I cry about the TSSAA. You'll find none. And yeah, I've heard many students gripe about $7 being too much.

Agree nobody is crying, some of us are trying to have an adult conversation while others are name calling. Happens every time someone does not have any facts.

I posted some info above about what was on the T$$AA 2004 tax return and everyone thinks it is OK to pay 13 staff members $367,753. Plus another $348,793 for their pension plans. And all that for 40 hours a week and they don't pay the $7. To get into the games if they even go. I would like the state to look into this organization and its perks, I think we the taxpayers could get more for the kids.

I my opinion any kid who can show a valid school ID should be able to get into a game for free. But no the T$$AA needs err...wants the money. I’m told in 2002 the governor's salary was only $85,000 or about 36K less than Mr. Carters or the T$$AA. Good job if you can get it.

The heck with the kids they can hang out at the mall for nothing

Did I mention your name? Sure their are kids gripe about the $7, but adults do also. If a student wants to get in the game for free, let them go out for the team or join the band. I just do not see $7 keeping an able bodied teenager out of a game. That's $1 a day for a week. Most spend that much on sodas.

Agree nobody is crying, some of us are trying to have an adult conversation while others are name calling. Happens every time someone does not have any facts.

I posted some info above about what was on the T$$AA 2004 tax return and everyone thinks it is OK to pay 13 staff members $367,753. Plus another $348,793 for their pension plans. And all that for 40 hours a week and they don't pay the $7. To get into the games if they even go. I would like the state to look into this organization and its perks, I think we the taxpayers could get more for the kids.

I my opinion any kid who can show a valid school ID should be able to get into a game for free. But no the T$$AA needs err...wants the money. I’m told in 2002 the governor's salary was only $85,000 or about 36K less than Mr. Carters or the T$$AA. Good job if you can get it.

The heck with the kids they can hang out at the mall for nothing

You're not saying I called anyone names are you?

1. T$$AA

2. T$$AA

3. T$$AA

4. Students should get in free at their home field, and should pay at away games, playoffs included. Non-students of the home school (with the exception of infants) should pay at all games, playoffs included.

5. $7 is too much, even for a playoff game, try $5, playoff or not :thumb:

6. Just my opinion, easy for me to say, I don't make the budget ;)

1. T$$AA

2. T$$AA

3. T$$AA

4. Students should get in free at their home field, and should pay at away games, playoffs included. Non-students of the home school (with the exception of infants) should pay at all games, playoffs included.

5. $7 is too much, even for a playoff game, try $5, playoff or not :P

6. Just my opinion, easy for me to say, I don't make the budget :lol:

The budget should be reviewed because the T$$AA is taking in a great deal more than they need to operate and the directors are knocking down huge money for the reported 40 hours a week. Also why are the officers not serving terms like in most so called, tax protected non-profits? Life long appointments by whom?

Every time the government wants to grow they tell us it is for the kids. Well seriously how can it be about the kids when very little is returned for them. If their football team should be fortunate to advance to the State Championship game it will have cost them $38. Each just to support their team. For a family of 5 that's a $190.00 not to include travel costs, food, possible accommodations all inside a month. If the team wins they get a trophy for the school case and the players don't even get a cheap printed certificate from the T$$AA saying they been there. Then the boosters have to raise big money for rings.

Trust me no one in Tennessee understands this more than a Maryville supporter.

Sorry to get long on this issue I just feel it is a situation where the kids are being taken advantage of and a non-profit should not be the vehicle for it.