Who is the next Coach at Science Hill.....

TnRiverRat

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turner is a good man. He has a good job as Director of the Eagle Club. I am sure the pay is pretty good plus his football money. I would hate to lose him @ CN.

Amen brother! Mike Turner is a class act. Johnson City would love to have him back in charge of The Toppers. I view him as the individual bringing the community back together. He is well thought of in JC.

One heck of a football coach also, Graham doesn't want to face Turner and his veer offense again.

The Red Man returns!

After the dismal performance against D-B I was not that surprised that Science Hill chose to "exit" their coach rather unceremoniously. The strongest local candidates are Ralph Nelson from East, Colobro from Gate City, and Carter from South. Broader searches and more money might land someone from outside NET or from the NAIA or Division III college ranks. Such a move is very difficult to pull off.

Another good choice would be Rider from Volunteer. IMHO he is waiting to be offered the job at Elizabethton after the future forced departure of Pless.

All in all, this is the most buzz in the Region from a coaching turnover perspective in recent memory. There are two announced "premium" openings - Science Hill & Greeneville; one unannounced "premium" opening - Elizabethton; and one mid-grade opening with an easier upside than any of the others - Central. After all, at Central if you can go .500 and compete for the 4th playoff seed in the MLC you will be a hero. Such performance has gotten the previous coaches in the other three situations "exited".

Edited by lordofthescreens

Another local coach that is very overlooked is Mike Wampler.He is a very good coach and has had success at many different places.Anderson County as off. cor., head coach at Rye Cove and at North.He is currently a assistant at Tenn. High, he was head coach at North for three years.Playoffs first year and the schools first ever and only outright region championship in just his second year.His third year he took whats almost a 2a school"if you take 8th graders outta enrollment" and went 4a.In that first year in 4a they were extremely competitive in every game but one going 5-5 and missing the playoffs really by one roughing the punter pentalty.They were just a couple of plays away from a 7-3,8-2 season.He had them in position but cant hold the ball for them.They led the confrence in offense, had the top two scorers in the league and 2 in the top 5 in rushing.Very successful first year in 4a, and would do a excellent job at a school like Science Hill.He is very professional and knowledgable,is very dedicated and determined and has great dicipline and character.People can call me crazy, but he would be perfect for Science Hill and there situation and needs.I would guarantee that he would have the Hill challenging for the region and more every year. Without the huge price tag...

Edited by backinblack

Another local coach that is very overlooked is Mike Wampler.He is a very good coach and has had success at many different places.Anderson County as off. cor., head coach at Rye Cove and at North.He is currently a assistant at Tenn. High, he was head coach at North for three years.Playoffs first year and the schools first ever and only outright region championship in just his second year.His third year he took whats almost a 2a school"if you take 8th graders outta enrollment" and went 4a.In that first year in 4a they were extremely competitive in every game but one going 5-5 and missing the playoffs really by one roughing the punter pentalty.They were just a couple of plays away from a 7-3,8-2 season.He had them in position but cant hold the ball for them.They led the confrence in offense, had the top two scorers in the league and 2 in the top 5 in rushing.Very successful first year in 4a, and would do a excellent job at a school like Science Hill.He is very professional and knowledgable,is very dedicated and determined and has great dicipline and character.People can call me crazy, but he would be perfect for Science Hill and there situation and needs.I would guarantee that he would have the Hill challenging for the region and more every year. Without the huge price tag...

I agree. However, I find it hard to believe he went to Bristol to be content as an assistant with nothing else in the works. It will be interesting to see how he manuvers. Where did he attend high school?

The guy that sits across the hall from me at work is a JC S-H grad. In fact he played ball with Spurrier. He was telling me of all the potential that exists in JC. He and I were wondering (he is not too internet savvy) how is the movement to restore football to ETSU coming. Is there any possibility that a new stadium for ETSU and S-H could be worked out. Just wondering?

The guy that sits across the hall from me at work is a JC S-H grad. In fact he played ball with Spurrier. He was telling me of all the potential that exists in JC. He and I were wondering (he is not too internet savvy) how is the movement to restore football to ETSU coming. Is there any possibility that a new stadium for ETSU and S-H could be worked out. Just wondering?

First of all...SHHS is the 10th largest high school in the state. And probably one of the top ten worst programs (as far as results and scholarships) in the state. I'm not in the know but I don't think there is any room on the ETSU campus for a stadium. Unless the dome is demolished. And a shared stadium is surely indicated by the recent interest to reinstate Buc football along with the immediate changing of the guard at the 'Hill. Those two things definately signal a call to arms. Now as far as where?...in my view the Freedom Hall/Science Hill complex (farm) has ample room to build a staduim sutable for Buccaneer football as well as state championship high school football. Other choices I imagine are plentiful...possibly State of Franklin Road. However, I would think the decision has already been made and we are just waiting for a press release. I think the major problem is what conference will let us in...or will we be independent? As well, I think a revived Bucaneer pigskin program will positively not be the joke it was before...in fact I would think the vision is to put ETSU on the map and using SHHS along with other facets of attraction in NET to change the whole landscape of our long time regarded "bumkinville part of the state". It will actually effect the whole Quad Cities/5 county area. I see it as the coming of age of the programs all accross the area. A total upgrade if you will. A few schools are already set to roll with it. Such as Sullivan South. It is a good thing for all...including Dobyns Bennett. I've said it before...we have the athletes in NET. We just need to get serious and go to the next level. It needs to be a combined effort. The overflow economics would be amazing...coaching clinics, camps, personal training facilities...etc. Heck, maybe Spurrier would come back.

Amen brother! Mike Turner is a class act. Johnson City would love to have him back in charge of The Toppers. I view him as the individual bringing the community back together. He is well thought of in JC.

One heck of a football coach also, Graham doesn't want to face Turner and his veer offense again.

The Red Man returns!

According to the Science Hill team meeting Monday, the "powers that be" are still looking for a coach in and out of state. There was NO indication of a decision concerning a coach and his staff yet.

Something that was mentioned also was the renovations needed at Memorial stadium and the possible joint venture with ETSU and the returning of Buc football year after next. Science Hill and ETSU may be sharing a football stadium again.

And as for Mike Turner . . . why did he leave in the first place?

According to the Science Hill team meeting Monday, the "powers that be" are still looking for a coach in and out of state. There was NO indication of a decision concerning a coach and his staff yet.

Something that was mentioned also was the renovations needed at Memorial stadium and the possible joint venture with ETSU and the returning of Buc football year after next. Science Hill and ETSU may be sharing a football stadium again.

And as for Mike Turner . . . why did he leave in the first place?

You may want to ask him when he returns to Johnson City.

JJ

What was kept pretty quiet back in the mid-90's when Turner returned to CN was that Ken Sparks had verbally accepted the head coaching job at Samford. Within 24 hours after "sleeping" on it, he changed his mind. Well, during this short time frame, Coach Turner was lured back to Jefferson City to take over the controls of Head Coach. So, the Eagle Club gladly put him as director to make up for the mishap. The red man is the real deal, a complete football coach blended with unbelievable people-skills. CN wouldn't let him go just too easy. Has any of the DB coaches been mentioned as a possibility?