The Ultimate Solution

larry

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to hire someone just to keep up with the classifications from year-to-year. It is hard enough once every four years. Guess I would manage, though.

It just appears it would be an administrative and scheduling nightmare. Maybe all the East TN teams did well for a few years and moved up. Maybe all the West TN teams did poorly and moved down. It seems it would be difficult to set regions...if regions were to be set. I also don't really won't to see a BCS type ratings system in high school. Those are so ambiguous at best.

Edited by Antwan

Changing schedules every two years or so, with perhaps totally new rivalries, not sure that is good. Seems like a lot of teams are giving up a lot in order for four or five teams to win championships. Now, don't get me wrong, if we could have only one champion that would be fine with me. It just seems like a lot of trouble to go to.

Looks like to me a merit system would have GP in 5A, DL in 4A, and FCS in 3A along with Jackson Christian. The crying from you would be of sonic proportion.

Actually it would probably have DL and GP in 4a, most of the other good DI privates in 3a or bouncing between 3 and 2a. But we wouldn't be the ones crying, I believe it would be people like you who are crying now even though the privates have been singled out for punishment. After all, if you are whining about the multiplier being unfair because it is not enough, how much would you howl if something fair was done and your school got bumped up? The hypocrisy in your posts is astounding...

Texas is a MUCH more populated state with a richer high school football history than Ohio and they have totally separate public and private organizations. :lol::lol:

Because it was that way from the start Larry. But, and this is why you need to research and think before you post, in case you didn't know there have been 2 large privates that have sued to be allowed to play with the publics in the last 2 years and won. Also, because the public association didn't join with the privates in the 70s the small publics in Texas have been decimated in the last 30 years. In 1a they play 8 man ball. In 2a there is an 8 man and an 11 man league that schools can choose from. Why? Because as a seperate association the publics don't have any way to stop the privates from skimming the cream off the small schools...so they have. I'm thinking this isn't what you want.

You might want to check Florida, Georgia, California, and Michigan to see what they do in high school ball too...none are like Texas.

Changing schedules every two years or so, with perhaps totally new rivalries, not sure that is good. Seems like a lot of teams are giving up a lot in order for four or five teams to win championships. Now, don't get me wrong, if we could have only one champion that would be fine with me. It just seems like a lot of trouble to go to.

Coach,

Once teams settled out into a pretty competitive classification there wouldn't be any more turnover than there is now with schools gaining/losing students. That is the beauty of a merit system, once is shakes out it becomes very very stable...admittedly the first few reclassifications might be a bit chaotic, but I doubt they would be horrible. And I, for one am willing to endure a little inconvenience for the sake of fairness...even though I'm pretty sure we would end up in 3a, at least for a while, and that is not to our advantage. The idea of something fair is more important than having an advantage...at least to us, and I would assume to all the privates. Sadly, people like Larry seem to get the most volume with the publics...why is that? I would submit that the idea of DII and a multiplier were NEVER meant to be fair. They were knee jerk reactions to a percieved inequity...and the whole group got punished for the possible misbehavior of 1 or 2.

Coach,

What do you mean by "Seems like a lot of teams are giving up a lot in order for four or five teams to win championships." Is it that you don't like having 5 classes for football?

I agree that we should not have a major overhaul every 2 or 4 years. You could have a point system based on playoff performance. I think a 2-year cycle is too short. So, let's settle on 4 years so that home-and-home scheduling can still be done. The top 4 teams from each class during the cycle move up and the bottom 4 teams move down if you choose to do so.

It seems to me that the TSSAA already went to a lot of trouble when they created Division II and passed the multiplier.

IMHO. A merit system is much more fair than an arbitrary multiplier that affects all private schols in all sports.

Edited by Bighurt

Would this merit system be up for a vote,

or created by the fallout of the lawsuit?

Does anyone believe the administrators across

the state will vote for a merit system?

I have not seen or heard this talked about anywhere but on here so I have no idea how serious the schools or anyone else may take this.