TSSAA Officials

WoodenFan

The first 4 threads that I read tonight were about how bad the refs were. I just came from a game tonight where Middle Tenn. Christian School girls attempted 33 foul shots and Van Buren girls shot 7. The refs missed another one and one or it could've been 35 to 7. Van Buren girls lost the game but come on, 33 to 7 foul shots? On two different occasions VB was called for a hot spot violation for catching the ball on the post, making a move in the paint and shooting. Both were waived off. Whats up with the officiating? Anyone else got gripes about the refs?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumb:

The first 4 threads that I read tonight were about how bad the refs were. I just came from a game tonight where Middle Tenn. Christian School girls attempted 33 foul shots and Van Buren girls shot 7. The refs missed another one and one or it could've been 35 to 7. Van Buren girls lost the game but come on, 33 to 7 foul shots? On two different occasions VB was called for a hot spot violation for catching the ball on the post, making a move in the paint and shooting. Both were waived off. Whats up with the officiating? Anyone else got gripes about the refs?

Last night in our game we were bringing the ball up the court and made it to the other half to begin our play and the other coach was calling for a time out and they stopped play as if they were going to give it to her. Then they said no you can't get one but allowed her to make subs! :thumb: It was crazy! Other than that crazy incident they did a decent job. I think it was more of a shock to them that the coach was calling for a time out when we had the ball. Maybe she was calling for it before and was complaining that she didn't get one when the ball was out of bounds, I don't know, I was really into watching what we were doing out there. Trying to get this young team ready and we aren't there yet!

I know how you feel. I watched the Clinton and Powell game. It was 15 to 4. I want to know when they changed the rules when you take a jump shot and the girl comes under her before the girl shooting lands she gets a charge. Clinton had three of those last night. Also was wondering if a girl is on a fast break and the other team grabs her jersey is that not a foul? The same two refs have called 2 other games and both of them was terrible. If TSSAA don't get control of the refs you are going to have high school kids getting hurt. Lots of parents would like to know where we send letters and tapes to TSSAA about the refs.

:thumb:

Last night in our game we were bringing the ball up the court and made it to the other half to begin our play and the other coach was calling for a time out and they stopped play as if they were going to give it to her. Then they said no you can't get one but allowed her to make subs! :lol: It was crazy! Other than that crazy incident they did a decent job. I think it was more of a shock to them that the coach was calling for a time out when we had the ball. Maybe she was calling for it before and was complaining that she didn't get one when the ball was out of bounds, I don't know, I was really into watching what we were doing out there. Trying to get this young team ready and we aren't there yet!

The Marion vs Whitwell game was terrible. I have never seen three officials with less of a clue. What was a walk on one play was not on the next. There was a play near the end of the game where there was a jump ball and the officials didn't agree on whose ball it was. They eventually went by majority vote, I think. I have seen several games where there seemed to be a weak link in the crew (like he was being trained). The main problem I have seen is that you don't have consistency on calls. One ref will call a tight game the other will let things go, what is tied up (jump ball) on one play is a foul on the very next one. I really think the TSSAA is having trouble getting/keeping experienced officials and that isn't hard to believe since it has to be one of the more unfulfilling jobs around.

Edited by The Purple Paw

I know how you feel. I watched the Clinton and Powell game. It was 15 to 4. I want to know when they changed the rules when you take a jump shot and the girl comes under her before the girl shooting lands she gets a charge. Clinton had three of those last night. Also was wondering if a girl is on a fast break and the other team grabs her jersey is that not a foul? The same two refs have called 2 other games and both of them was terrible. If TSSAA don't get control of the refs you are going to have high school kids getting hurt. Lots of parents would like to know where we send letters and tapes to TSSAA about the refs.

The infamous charge is getting on my nerves too. I can admit it when my girls are doing it and I explain to them why they got it, but when she is already in the air and someone slides under where she is going to land... what is she to do, change directions in the air to avoid it? The rule is suppose to be that they are entitled to the ground under them and it should be a blocking foul. It's always funny that when I address them about it, they say, oh...

We had 3 officials the other night. 2 of them were counting 5 seconds when the defender was within 6 feet of the player with the ball. The other offical was counting when the defense was relaxed 8 to 10 feet from the ball. Is that not rewarding the defense for not playing defense? This official has been calling for a long time. Can the head of officials not watch game tapes and make reccommendations or is there a problem there also.

Edited by 202003

The Marion vs Whitwell game was terrible. I have never seen three officials with less of a clue. What was a walk on one play was not on the next. There was a play near the end of the game where there was a jump ball and the officials didn't agree on whose ball it was. They eventually went by majority vote, I think. I have seen several games where there seemed to be a weak link in the crew (like he was being trained). The main problem I have seen is that you don't have consistency on calls. One ref will call a tight game the other will let things go, what is tied up (jump ball) on one play is a foul on the very next one. I really think the TSSAA is having trouble getting/keeping experienced officials and that isn't hard to believe since it has to be one of the more unfulfilling jobs around.

I've seen some similar incidents that you speak of but unless you've just got some blatantly "one-sided" refs, all the so-called "bad calls" usually even out over the course of the game. I have to agree that it's one of the most unfulfilling jobs to have and I know I wouldn't do it. What makes it even less desirable is that they've always got the stands full of critics and self-made refs who think they know the game better than the officials on the floor. Those people need to be out there doing the job if they actually know every rule and think they can see every call. Amazingly, even they (the self-made refs) only seem to see the fouls and such from the opposing team and never their own. One thing that irks me is when the fans are always screaming "WALK!" as soon as an opposing player takes a step with the ball. Maybe the refs should just go over the rules with the fans before each game so some of these people might actually know what they are.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's a Thankless Job but somebody's got to do it. You have to give these people a break from time to time. When you have a close game and the stands are full of screaming fans, they're gonna miss a few every once in a while.

I've seen some similar incidents that you speak of but unless you've just got some blatantly "one-sided" refs, all the so-called "bad calls" usually even out over the course of the game. I have to agree that it's one of the most unfulfilling jobs to have and I know I wouldn't do it. What makes it even less desirable is that they've always got the stands full of critics and self-made refs who think they know the game better than the officials on the floor. Those people need to be out there doing the job if they actually know every rule and think they can see every call. Amazingly, even they (the self-made refs) only seem to see the fouls and such from the opposing team and never their own. One thing that irks me is when the fans are always screaming "WALK!" as soon as an opposing player takes a step with the ball. Maybe the refs should just go over the rules with the fans before each game so some of these people might actually know what they are.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's a Thankless Job but somebody's got to do it. You have to give these people a break from time to time. When you have a close game and the stands are full of screaming fans, they're gonna miss a few every once in a while.

You are right, that is kind of funny how the fans are calling jump stops, walks... I tell my girls something that I heard an official say in Mississippi. "You don't make 100 percent of your shots and we won't make 100% of our calls, we are human and can't be in the best spot to see everything all the time." I believe that most officials that love what they do will try to do their best to get every call and I will be the first to tell an official good call when he calls something on my team and I'm quick to ask when it's something questionable in a respectable tone, not to say that I won't yell from time to time but that's when they are far away :thumb:

I've heard this year that the refs have been told to look closer at two areas, charging and hand checking. I've notice a lot more charging calls this year.

As for the hand checking, I've heard a lot of refs giving warning to players during the game to get their hands off their opponent. Its only a matter of time until they begin calling that.

Also, I wish the refs would be more consistent in what they call as "over the back" on rebounds. Its getting to the point where kids that are strong and know how to box out still get called for over the back when in fact, they are purely going up hard for the rebounds. In my opioion, if two girls are going up for the same rebound, just because one is stronger than the other and she's able to pull it down with some authority and the other girl gets her arm tiedup in the process, that isnt "over the back". Thats the result of someone being determined to get the ball

Edited by JACKETDAD