The 12th Game

Solomon

This has been bugging me all year, wonder what other UT fans thought about it.

Air Force was scheduled when the NCAA allowed the 12th game. As a result of that game UT

a ) nearly suffered an embarassing defeat,

b ) lost Justin Harrell for the season, and

c ) probably saw Inky Johnson's football playing days come to an end.

This is purely opinion, but I've got to think that having Harrell (at 100% and not playing with a torn muscle) and Johnson in the line-up is worth 1 point against Florida and possibly 4 points against LSU. At least one of those games probably is a W with those two guys in the line-up. And maybe they show up at Arkansas with a little more fire about them too. So they are probably looking at a shot at a SEC title, a BCS birth, or maybe both, who knows? Instead, probably Capital One or Outback as I type this, with a better chance at Capital One and a $5 million payout.

The best I can figure, UT probably made about $3.2 million in ticket revenue for that game, and I'll roung it up to $3.5 million considering concession sales and all. I forget how much Air Force got paid to come, but probably $500K. So UT roughly made $3 million that day.

A season ending injury, a possible loss of a SEC title shot, a decent chance at BCS bowl, a player lost for the season, and a player whose career may be over. Now, I ask, looking back, was the 12th game worth it?