What's Goin' On With Oak Ridge Football Off Season

Cactus Jack

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tank,

You still think all the coaches are coming back. Dang, my crystal ball needs polishing...I'd better go buff it up.

Ole Dad

Not even going to respond about the weight lifting just starting Monday, that's just not true at all. I have talked to many coaches (still waiting on those four or five that are leaving by the way) and it appears that many coaches have taken stock and accepted the fact that they did a bad job last season.

Hopefully lessons were learned.

I was glad to see Fulton replace Jefferson County on the schedule, opening at Fulton will be an interesting game.

I was just saying that it's not that difficult to stay eligible, really all you have to do is make it to school, and attend class, and of course do your work. Now, to do well in school and make good grades, you do have to study and do homework.

With the TSSAA rules a drunk monkey could make the grades to play ANY sport.

When I played if you got below a 'C' in any class you did NOT play. With the way the TSSAA has it you can actually flunk a couple of classes and still be eligible today. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like there will be some coaching changes, did hear Coach Adams has decided to return. Coach Speas will take over the Freshman Program, which is a good thing!! He will do a great job there and that is very important to future teams. I would like to see Ron Gray return to coach the offensive line since the current line coach is leaving. His experience there would help improve a problem area from last season. The changes are settling out now and that is good since Spring practice starts soon, Oak Ridge has scrimmages, best I hear, at Powell, on or about May 4 and here against Bearden on May 11. Should be able to get an idea of how OR will be. Both Powell and Bearden will be good tests. Powell is always big, so one should be able to tell how well the off season weight program is working by how they match up on the lines. Bearden was pretty good last year under Bill Wilson. I hope things go well and the Wildcats and Coach Stevens can enjoy a better year in 07. The schedule is tough, opening at Fulton, and then a trip to DB for game 3. I think OR needs to be at least 7-3 to 8-2 and in the playoffs. Ooltewah would have to be the favorite to win the Region, with Benny Monroe really getting that program up and running. He could win the state this year. McMinn County had a lot of talent, but their coach left, so they are a wild card. William Blount is the same, hard to tell how they are going to bem heard Maryville got their stud linebacker. Farragut will be good, they lost some good players too though. Bradley, Soddy and Heritage will be a little better and OR faces the last two on the road. OR needs to get off to a good start, winning at Fulton, which will be a tall order, but important to gain momentum for the season. Also, I would like to see STRONGER administrative and school board support for the football program AND for renovations at Blankenship Field, they should remember that a strong football program, with good attendance pays for the other sports, and should be supported as such!!

You trouble maker. You just made Tank's IQ drop another 40 points. (that's what his article said happens to him whenever he reads these posts)

Ole Dad

Before someone asks Chris Layton is going to Nashville and Father Ryan. He will be Lady's LaCross coach. Probably be working with the football program also!!! Anything else would be a figment of my imagination.

Oh no, I am a big supporter of coacht.com. What drops my IQ is reading posts from bitter old people that won't be honest about the reason they spend their few remaining days to bash a coach of a program they really have nothing to do with anymore.

Other than that, coacht.com is a wonderful resource for true fans of high school sports.

As for coach Layton, heck of a nice guy and I wish him the best. Talked with him a couple of days ago, this was indeed a good move for him for many many reasons.

You trouble maker. You just made Tank's IQ drop another 40 points. (that's what his article said happens to him whenever he reads these posts)

Ole Dad

Tank,

You're in the know...what's your predition on The Cats record this year? Who will comprise the coaching staff when they kick off at the Fulton game? That should raise your IQ.

Ole Dad

Oh no, I am a big supporter of coacht.com. What drops my IQ is reading posts from bitter old people that won't be honest about the reason they spend their few remaining days to bash a coach of a program they really have nothing to do with anymore.

Other than that, coacht.com is a wonderful resource for true fans of high school sports.

As for coach Layton, heck of a nice guy and I wish him the best. Talked with him a couple of days ago, this was indeed a good move for him for many many reasons.

I doubt I am in the "know" as much as you are.

Let's be honest, things are messy right now, you have to get a coaching staff that gets along well ... and is on the same page as the head coach, whether you like him or not. Maybe the coaching departures will allow the head coach to get his guys in there, who really knows.

As to who will be coaching, that is tough. Oak Ridge hires teachers ... not coaches, so it's not like someone can go out and hand pick a staff. You have to be lucky, that's for sure, when it comes to a coaching staff.

The 'Cats record? Dang, that's too early for me to even venture a guess. I will need to look at the spring practice, see how the academics roll, check out the opponents and what they have coming back and coming in, trying to guess a record now would be like me trying to guess what my wife is thinking from day to day. After spring, I will toss my initial prediction in the ring, but will need to get a mulligan because a lot can happen over the summer ... as we all know.

Tank,

You're in the know...what's your predition on The Cats record this year? Who will comprise the coaching staff when they kick off at the Fulton game? That should raise your IQ.

Ole Dad