Union City (Tenn.) wins at Poplar Bluff (Mo.) Shootout

semosportsweb

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look here, maybe Vashon and Warren Central are not 30+ better than UC, but they both were on those particular nights. That's all we're saying

Maybe UC plays Vashon on Jan. 9 and loses by 10. Maybe UC plays WC on Feb. 3 and loses by 8. ... But the bottom line is this particular UC team loses to those particular Vashon and WC teams every time. ... And, we get the point about making adjustments. Really. We get it, coach. (How many games/state titles have you won, by the way, coach?) .... But, it was December, not March, and no one on UC's schedule the rest of the way will remotely resemble Vashon and WC. .... Those are the games where you turn the ignition, hit the gas and air it out. You want to see how your team running your chosen style of play matches up with very good talent. Go ahead and get yourself exposed. See where the chinks in the armor are. Better now than three months from now (when it's too late to make real and meaningful adjustments).

Face the fact: Some teams are just better than others.

And, I really don't see how anyone can question the talent and abilities of those two teams. ("Oh, they're not that good. Ain't so tough.") You don't win the state title of Missouri in one of the upper classes all those times, or win five straight region titles with one state title and a runner-up finish in Ky. (no classifications) b/c you're not very good. Oh, and also note that Vashon has been questioned about how it gets its players (though no major charges of recruiting have stuck to the program), and WC is one of the larger schools in Ky with well over 1,000 students. ... We might want to be glad it was only 30+ b/c it could've been much much worse.

Heck, I'm proud of UC for going over there and playing against that level of competition in the first place. Not many 1A teams would have. And, to finish 4th when the two teams battling for 7th might also have been more talented than UC, shoot, get me a proclamation and a frame and I'll hang up that 4th place with pride ... Instead of dumping on our coach, maybe we ought to be congratulating him for the job he's done and praising him for trying to put UC at a higher level and trying to keep them competitive against bigger schools. ... Unlike some, Shane is not using his school's 1A size as an excuse for not being competitive against the bigger schools. In fact, until last week, UC has more than held its own against the big boys this year.

Some teams are just better than others.

No disrespect to the alma mater. But, Vashon and WC are just better, plain and simple.

UC is still the measuring stick in Tennessee Class 1A. ... A confidence boost or two to begin the new year, and the Poplar Bluff trip will be forgotten.

I'm really not all that interested in winning every game ... just the last one.

Man what u talking bout.I dont care how many people you got in the school,u can only put 5 on the court at one time.You can have a million people in the school,the coach is only going to dress 12 and he can only get 5 on the court at one time.Those were the past teams not this years.UC beat a Poplar Bluff team last year and this year that are 4 or 5 A.Everbody talks about how many people they have in their school,that dont mean anything,and especially if they dont know how to play.I dont care what you say,you have to go to a game and make adjustments,coach.Anybody know if its not working,got to fix it,Coach.

I dont care how many people you got in the school,u can only put 5 on the court at one time.You can have a million people in the school,the coach is only going to dress 12 and he can only get 5 on the court at one time.
I get tired of this argument. A bigger school, by definition, has more athletes from which to put together their team ... that's the advantage. That's why most every state has several classes.

Chipper ...

Why are you so filled with hate? Why do you hate Shane and the Sisco family? Did one of them cut you from the team when you tried out? I just don't understand why you're so down on the most successful coaching family in Obion County history (no disrespect to coaches Parr or Whitby or even Driver, Parks, Carpenter, Gamblin and the rest, but there aren't any other father-son state champions in Obion County). .... And, reading your posts, which absolutely refuse to acknowledge that some teams simply have superior talent and depth over our beloved Union City Golden Tornadoes, I can only assume that you hate the Siscos. I just don't understand hatred like that. ... Sure, I think UC needs to look at replacing its football coach, but not b/c I hate Fishel. I don't. I like the guy. I'm just disappointed in the direction the program has gone in recent years, state runner-up in 2005 notwithstanding (22-24 overall record / 21-25 w/o the forfeit / and 4-2 in 1A playoffs in the last four years).

I really don't have any use for "fans" like you. You're ###### on a bull (that's useless, as in screen door on a submarine). All you want to do is find something to complain about. ... Boy, I'll bet you had a problem with the way Union City won its FOURTH BOYS BASKETBALL STATE CHAMPIONSHIP last year. Maybe they didn't win by enough points, or maybe the player you liked the best didn't score the most points, or maybe you're mad b/c it was 1A instead of 2A, or maybe you just hate bald head coaches. How bad was UC when it was 14-1 right before Christmas, huh?

And, while size doesn't matter ALL the time, it does matter SOME times. Yes, UC beat a bigger (enrollment) Poplar Bluff team. It was b/c UC is better this year (and was last year) than PB. The Mules have had a major drop-off post-Hansbrough. UC has beaten several bigger schools this year. In those games, UC was either better on that given day or just simply played better. BUT, WC simply has many more athletes in school from which to choose, and Vashon (probably) recruits.

And, speaking of size, sooner or later being short catches up to you. Maybe instead of hating the Siscos (go back and read your own posts if you don't think you're hating), you should be mad at the fact that we apparently don't have any sperm donors with height in their DNA.

You've got a 15-3 team that is defending 1A state champ with its only three losses coming to the 4-time Tennessee private school (athletic scholarships) state champion, a multiple 5A Missouri state champion and perennial Kentucky state tournament particpant with an enrollment that classifies it as 4A in other sports ... and you want to get rid of the coach b/c he's apparently too "stupid" to make adjustments during a game even though he could have tried playing 7-on-5 against Vashon and WC and would have still gotten beat.

SOME TEAMS ARE JUST BETTER THAN OTHERS, PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

If that's the best you can bring to the table, then go be a fan in Weakley County. UC doesn't need people like you. We're about Purple Pride, not hate. ... Maybe you can go cheer for the past UCMS player now at Trigg Co., KY., who, as I understand it, had more than a dozen turnovers on his own in a recent game.

FINALLY .... I think we've beaten this dead horse enough. The second half of the season starts on Tuesday. .... Let's start focusing on the future rather than continuing to relive the past. December was a whole year ago.

Vashon is one of the best teams in Missouri in any class. Warren Central is a top-10 team in Kentucky, perhaps a top-5 team.

How many Class A teams in Tennessee could realistically compete with those clubs night in and night out? In all likelihood ... none.

Hello kentuckian, I'm not responding directly to your post but I noticed that you are member #1439. I'd say that you are one of the pioneers on coacht. But only 31 posts. Give us some stories about the old days. And what is it that usually gets you to share which is rarely. Much respect to those who came before.

Chipper ...

Why are you so filled with hate? Why do you hate Shane and the Sisco family? Did one of them cut you from the team when you tried out? I just don't understand why you're so down on the most successful coaching family in Obion County history (no disrespect to coaches Parr or Whitby or even Driver, Parks, Carpenter, Gamblin and the rest, but there aren't any other father-son state champions in Obion County). .... And, reading your posts, which absolutely refuse to acknowledge that some teams simply have superior talent and depth over our beloved Union City Golden Tornadoes, I can only assume that you hate the Siscos. I just don't understand hatred like that. ... Sure, I think UC needs to look at replacing its football coach, but not b/c I hate Fishel. I don't. I like the guy. I'm just disappointed in the direction the program has gone in recent years, state runner-up in 2005 notwithstanding (22-24 overall record / 21-25 w/o the forfeit / and 4-2 in 1A playoffs in the last four years).

I really don't have any use for "fans" like you. You're ###### on a bull (that's useless, as in screen door on a submarine). All you want to do is find something to complain about. ... Boy, I'll bet you had a problem with the way Union City won its FOURTH BOYS BASKETBALL STATE CHAMPIONSHIP last year. Maybe they didn't win by enough points, or maybe the player you liked the best didn't score the most points, or maybe you're mad b/c it was 1A instead of 2A, or maybe you just hate bald head coaches. How bad was UC when it was 14-1 right before Christmas, huh?

And, while size doesn't matter ALL the time, it does matter SOME times. Yes, UC beat a bigger (enrollment) Poplar Bluff team. It was b/c UC is better this year (and was last year) than PB. The Mules have had a major drop-off post-Hansbrough. UC has beaten several bigger schools this year. In those games, UC was either better on that given day or just simply played better. BUT, WC simply has many more athletes in school from which to choose, and Vashon (probably) recruits.

And, speaking of size, sooner or later being short catches up to you. Maybe instead of hating the Siscos (go back and read your own posts if you don't think you're hating), you should be mad at the fact that we apparently don't have any sperm donors with height in their DNA.

You've got a 15-3 team that is defending 1A state champ with its only three losses coming to the 4-time Tennessee private school (athletic scholarships) state champion, a multiple 5A Missouri state champion and perennial Kentucky state tournament particpant with an enrollment that classifies it as 4A in other sports ... and you want to get rid of the coach b/c he's apparently too "stupid" to make adjustments during a game even though he could have tried playing 7-on-5 against Vashon and WC and would have still gotten beat.

SOME TEAMS ARE JUST BETTER THAN OTHERS, PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

If that's the best you can bring to the table, then go be a fan in Weakley County. UC doesn't need people like you. We're about Purple Pride, not hate. ... Maybe you can go cheer for the past UCMS player now at Trigg Co., KY., who, as I understand it, had more than a dozen turnovers on his own in a recent game.

FINALLY .... I think we've beaten this dead horse enough. The second half of the season starts on Tuesday. .... Let's start focusing on the future rather than continuing to relive the past. December was a whole year ago.

Chipper isnt mad at the fact of losing but how Union City lost. As a coach you have to make adjustment during the game are your goin to get beat. Shane isnt that good of a coach yet. He is riding his daddy sugar tail right now. This is how bad it is marty doesnt trust shane in big basketball games. He is always there and when union city plays weaker teams marty goes and scouts the other team. I know that marty was there but i dont think he did much coaching in the popular tournment. Shane is dumb as a load of bricks. His coaching is weak. Once Marty leave coaching for good i think Shane is in for a fall. Union city allways has talent but i dont think that Shane can get half of what marty could.

I know this is coming Shane has won a title. Big deal he also had loads of talent and marty was doing the coaching. I would like to see if shane can win a title without marty?

Chipper is right on this one.

As a coach you have to make adjustment during the game are your goin to get beat. Shane isnt that good of a coach yet. He is riding his daddy sugar tail right now. This is how bad it is marty doesnt trust shane in big basketball games. He is always there and when union city plays weaker teams marty goes and scouts the other team. Shane is dumb as a load of bricks. His coaching is weak. Once Marty leave coaching for good i think Shane is in for a fall. Union city allways has talent but i dont think that Shane can get half of what marty could.

I know this is coming Shane has won a title. Big deal he also had loads of talent and marty was doing the coaching. I would like to see if shane can win a title without marty?

Good post.

Sometimes other people make a good point and hit the nail right on the head.

Shane has got a ways to go to be put in the same sentence with his dad or Coach Whitby or several more that I could name. He's got a great team that can give him alot of credit. If he will just show some class along the way he will be respected more.

Edited by Greenfieldfan