EOS Canon Rebel XTi

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Sports:

Don't use the sports setting unless you're outside. Put the camera on manual setting, where you can adjust the different settings. Set your ISO to 800, set your aperature as low of a number as it will go, set the white balance to tugsten light, and set the shutter speed to 320. If the court is well lit, go up to 500.

If you're outside, the sports setting will work great.

Hope this helps, and if you have anymore questions, just ask :D

• 3 weeks later...

Did you get the camera yet? Saw some pictures of yours in the paper.

Yes, I've taken pictures of 4 games so far, and have started my own small action photo selling service where I just go to the parents and ask them to buy. I sell them for $.50 and at $.22 to get them printed, I'm making enough to print more while giving the girls and boys some laughs. I'm starting to add some photos I've sold in the photo galleries. So far, I'm VERY pleased with the results.

I talked to the guy from playeractionphotos.com and he uses the same exact lens we have coacht ;) . That makes me really feel like we made the right choice because he sells his photos for $4.00 for a 4x6.

Edited by score3

• 4 weeks later...
First gallery with the new camera

The best settings for our gym were Av- F1.8- ISO 1600, Automatic White Balance, AI Focus- Center Focus

and

Manual- 1/400- F1.8- ISO 1600, Automatic White Balance, AI Focus- Center Focus

with the EF 85mm set to Auto Focus

Were you on the gym floor when you took these. And how far away were you? Did you do alot of cropping or just zoom in while you're taking the shot? I enjoy taking pictures, but am along way from where you guys are!

Were you on the gym floor when you took these. And how far away were you? Did you do alot of cropping or just zoom in while you're taking the shot? I enjoy taking pictures, but am along way from where you guys are!

I was on the floor about six feet away from the baseline. I cropped the pictures since I don't have a zoom.

• 1 month later...

I envy you with that lens. That is a great lens. I have a Rebel XT and am using an 18mm-55mm F3.5-5.6 lens for basketball. My next lens will be either the 85mm or the 50mm 1.4 I believe. I had a professional photographer give me some tips. If you get a chance try this. Put your camera on AV Apeture Priority. Put your F stop as big as you want it. F1.8 in a gym. and let the camera determine the shutterspeed. You will always have the correct shutterspeed. In certain situations you may not like the shutter speed but it will be correct. Frankly with a F1.8 lens you will probably never have a problem. Also with that lens you should be able to lower your ISO to about 400 and still stop the action. Every ISO you go higher is like 2 F stops. But you also add noise (grain) to the picture. I also make my files large but not RAW. You can create some really nice shots by cropping and resizing the picture.

I envy you with that lens. That is a great lens. I have a Rebel XT and am using an 18mm-55mm F3.5-5.6 lens for basketball. My next lens will be either the 85mm or the 50mm 1.4 I believe. I had a professional photographer give me some tips. If you get a chance try this. Put your camera on AV Apeture Priority. Put your F stop as big as you want it. F1.8 in a gym. and let the camera determine the shutterspeed. You will always have the correct shutterspeed. In certain situations you may not like the shutter speed but it will be correct. Frankly with a F1.8 lens you will probably never have a problem. Also with that lens you should be able to lower your ISO to about 400 and still stop the action. Every ISO you go higher is like 2 F stops. But you also add noise (grain) to the picture. I also make my files large but not RAW. You can create some really nice shots by cropping and resizing the picture.

I'm looking for a used 70-200, or 80-200, f2.8 Autofocus zoom as my next lens.