13 AA District

GHvolrebel

QUOTE(Little Joe @ Feb 16 2007 - 12:41 PM) 826374635[/snapback]

First congrads to both Dyersburg & Westview...all 4 teams played like champions. Second, I have a question for anyone who's watched OC more than me...why in that first quarter when they realized they were not hitting & Westview was, did they not settle down, work the ball around or run an offensive set that would get them either a layup or a close, easy basket thus getting them into some sort of offensive flow & cooling Westview's heels a bit by making them work on defense?? Not second guessing the coach cause it's his program and their record speaks for itself but I am always trying to obtain more basketball knowledge....any feedback appreciated

Ditto on the congrats to Westview and Dyersburg. Now for your question...

Sometimes you just decide to "dance with the one who brought you." If Coach Suiter had changed the way his girls have played all season, it could have done more harm than good. My guess is that he wanted his girls to play their way out of a jam. They clawed back from and 18 point deficit, outplayed Westview over the final three quarters, and had a chance there at the end. A loss is never good, and moral victories are for losers , but maybe, just maybe, the Lady Rebs grew up a little bit last night. Hopefully OC vs. WV Round IV is on the way. I don't know who might win, but I'd put money on the fact that OC isn't held to 2 points in a quarter again .

There's still a lot of 13AA basketball left to play.........

Go Lady Rebs!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Little Joe @ Feb 16 2007 - 12:41 PM) 826374635[/snapback]

First congrads to both Dyersburg & Westview...all 4 teams played like champions. Second, I have a question for anyone who's watched OC more than me...why in that first quarter when they realized they were not hitting & Westview was, did they not settle down, work the ball around or run an offensive set that would get them either a layup or a close, easy basket thus getting them into some sort of offensive flow & cooling Westview's heels a bit by making them work on defense?? Not second guessing the coach cause it's his program and their record speaks for itself but I am always trying to obtain more basketball knowledge....any feedback appreciated

Great games by Dyersburg and Westview. Dyersburg has become what many predicted. I wondered the same thing about Obion's reliance on the three pointer but I was thinking that later in the game when they had gotten back close. It seemed like they should have been able to get some close, easy baskets but they kept kicking it out for the three pointer. Maybe that is their game and yes, their record does speak for itself. I respect that program. Roney is an incredible competitor and, in my opinion, the best overall player in the district.

QUOTE(ParisRiverRat @ Feb 16 2007 - 12:37 PM) 826374628[/snapback]

Of course not.....I listened to redbirdfan.....0-10 in the 1st quarter doesn't have to do with calls.

The loss by Milan and Obion Co hurts Jax NS more than anything (good). They have to beat 2 really solid teams to get to substate now. Much like last year, if they beat the Milan Obion loser then the Westview Dyersburg loser in the region semis, they will have deserved to be in the region final.

I told ya'll that Dyersburg would win some games "when it mattered"....they will be a tough team to beat in the region semis in a "go home" game.

Maybe greenfieldfan will keep the curse alive and continue to pick OC...

How do you figure that the Milan/Obion loss hurt NS. Are you saying that Westview or Dyersburg would have been an easier game for North Side. North Side is very aware that all of the final 4 teams in District 13AA are good. At this point of the season all games are tough. So just show up and play. May the best team win and hope that the officials don't determine the outcome.

QUOTE(ParisRiverRat @ Feb 16 2007 - 11:14 AM) 826374306[/snapback]

What type of wine do you drink? Get over it, OC was beat for the third time. I have no doubt that the two will meet again in about 10 days at Gibson Co and the result might be similar to the gaggle that happened last year in Ripley. Well, as long as there isn't any crying going on during the game, Westview might make it 4 straight......(against a better team)

Like I said earlier in the year.....if Obion doesn't win a gold ball in either this year or next, it will be ashame, much like the last 2 years in Martin. The best team this year and the last 2 years in the state in AA has been from district 13AA, but has been unable (for whatever reason) to get it done when it counts.

I just don't understand the thinking than OC is a better team than Westview...Westview has won three out of three...That will be a sweep in a best-of-five...Everybody says NBA playoffs show who the better team is by having to win a series instead of one game..WELLLLLLL.....

Im thinking now if OC and Westview play again and if OC comes up with the win,then OC beat the better team....Makes sense to me....Somebody needs to quit telling these girls that they should have done this and should have done that against Westview and that they are better than Westview..And will SOMEBODY PLEASE GUARD AMBER RECHIS!!!!!!

The Lady Rebels also need to get this mentality of not being able to hit shots at Westview out of their head....If they can shoot well at Central Station with all that space behind the backboards they can shoot well anywhere.....

As far as Wes' belief that OC should win the AA state tournament this year or next,I'm not so sure about that....There are many fine teams in AA and the depth of this classification is evident....It will take a whole bunch of things to fall in place at the right time and you have to have a little luck....OC has a very fine team,but there will be many fine teams that end this season without a gold ball.....

I don't like to be too critical of the referees, but one call could have cost the game for Milan last night when he anticipated a foul there at the last of the game with Milan behind by one point . As a result Polston fouled out and Dyersburg would up winning by 3 points after hitting 2 fould shots.

And the referee from Milan should have stayed out of the controversy toward the last of the game between WV and OC. It seems a certain referee was intent on getting in the last word and wanted to give a technical to the OC coach. Could his being from Milan and OC losing and playing Milan in their consolation game knowing that Milan and OC had split games and Westview beating Milan twice have influenced that call? And yes, I realize that OC should have not been in that situation to start with.

With critical games on the line during tournaments, neutral referees need to be calling the games.

I too try not to be too critical of refs>>lol...anyway.....From what I hear about the tech on Suitor last nite,the situation was over with Suitor in the huddle with his girls...The ref then came in an T'd up Suitor,as to show who the boss was...I didn't see it,but my son was there and from what I got out of the article in the paper the two stories pretty much coincided....I don't know how many refs are from Milan,but think about this...Just out of Union City alone,you have 4 guys that I can think of that ref high school basketball in this area..A couple directly associated with the UC school system..I don't see how any of these guys could do a Union City game,but it has happened..I'm sure this same Milan ref has called a Milan game in his reffing career.....But,I'm with GH....They need to figure out a better way of doling out official's assignments..If anything just to take away the perception of a ref calling it one way or another for a "home"team....

QUOTE(GHvolrebel @ Feb 16 2007 - 07:12 PM) 826375064[/snapback]

I don't like to be too critical of the referees, but one call could have cost the game for Milan last night when he anticipated a foul there at the last of the game with Milan behind by one point . As a result Polston fouled out and Dyersburg would up winning by 3 points after hitting 2 fould shots.

And the referee from Milan should have stayed out of the controversy toward the last of the game between WV and OC. It seems a certain referee was intent on getting in the last word and wanted to give a technical to the OC coach. Could his being from Milan and OC losing and playing Milan in their consolation game knowing that Milan and OC had split games and Westview beating Milan twice have influenced that call? And yes, I realize that OC should have not been in that situation to start with.

With critical games on the line during tournaments, neutral referees need to be calling the games.

I saw the technical. It was given after repeated warning where issued to the coach. It appeared to those sitting around me that the coach was intent on getting the technical and several comments were made during and after the game about how much tolerance the referee that you are defaming had in the situation. I think you are way out of line. From what I understand from a coach in this district, the referee you mentioned is highly respected. To accuse him of favoritism on that particular call in the way that you have is ridiculous.

QUOTE(FloydPink @ Feb 16 2007 - 09:55 PM) 826375107[/snapback]

I saw the technical. It was given after repeated warning where issued to the coach. It appeared to those sitting around me that the coach was intent on getting the technical and several comments were made during and after the game about how much tolerance the referee that you are defaming had in the situation. I think you are way out of line. From what I understand from a coach in this district, the referee you mentioned is highly respected. To accuse him of favoritism on that particular call in the way that you have is ridiculous.

I'm sure a "coach in this district" wouldn't be stupid enough to say something derogatory about a ref that will work his teams' games to someone that might just happen to let it slip to that ref....But anyway.....

Since you say you "saw the technical" answer me this,because I wasn't there....Was coach Suitor in the huddle already talking to his team and the ref then ran in to T him up??...Or was Suitor still outside the huddle arguing with the ref and then he T'd him up??....I'm just asking,because again,I wasn't there to see it....Or was it against the bench,where one of the assistants might have been making his/her point after Suitor had gone into the huddle??

QUOTE(backinthaoc @ Feb 16 2007 - 08:18 PM) 826375148[/snapback]

I'm sure a "coach in this district" wouldn't be stupid enough to say something derogatory about a ref that will work his teams' games to someone that might just happen to let it slip to that ref....But anyway.....

Since you say you "saw the technical" answer me this,because I wasn't there....Was coach Suitor in the huddle already talking to his team and the ref then ran in to T him up??...Or was Suitor still outside the huddle arguing with the ref and then he T'd him up??....I'm just asking,because again,I wasn't there to see it....Or was it against the bench,where one of the assistants might have been making his/her point after Suitor had gone into the huddle??

Suiter kept going on and on with one ref then he said something (I don't know what) and turned away abruptly. Whatever he said made another ref come over and warn him. Suiter ignored the warning and started on this other ref...the other ref then issued the technical.