Tri-County Seven - Week of 11 February, 2007

krichunaka

QUOTE(CycloneFan @ Feb 13 2007 - 10:20 AM) 826369977[/snapback]

JC Press reported score of Unaka-Johnson Co. game to be 51-32 last night in favor of JC. Is that correct? If so, how did it play out. Johnson County is starting to look scary for EHS thursday night.

Come to Happy Valley tonight. Unaka has a chance to finish the regular season at Five Hundred. What a turnaround.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Valley defeated Unaka by two, 40 - 38. A flat performance by the Lady Rangers, just 24 hours after their win over Johnson County.

Unaka trailed 7 - 6 after one; 16 - 14 at halftime and 30 - 28 at the end of three quarters. The Lady Rangers then scored the first seven points of the fourth to go up 35 - 30. They didn't score again until Andrea Lewis hit a three with 3 seconds remaining. Too late. Happy Valley did their part to keep Unaka in the game by missing several free throws in the final quarter. Hannah Banks hit the first of two with .4 seconds remaining. Might have purposely missed the second. Unaka didn't get a shot off in time.

Brittany Scott led all scorers with twelve; eight for Kayla Winters; three for Sallee Taylor, who made two beautiful lobs to Scott; Natalie Johnson scored five; Kayleigh Elsea hit for seven; Andrea Lewis hit a three.

For Happy Valley, Courtney Byers scored three; Heather Hughes hit two; Stephanie Keranen had six; Katie Hyder scored four; Summer Ward had six; Chelsea Whitlock had two; Hannah Banks had four; Sam Canter led the Lady Warriors with eleven.

Tournament momentum for Happy Valley? Can Unaka bounce back against Hampton?

I was deeply saddened today when my mother called and told me of the passing of former Unaka Principal John Fine. He was a friend of my family for many years, and I had called him "Joe Bob" since I was a small boy. I was honored to have spent time with his family and to have taught his wonderful daughters. The Unaka family has lost a great man who touched thousands of lives in his 30+ years as an educator. My prayers go up tonight for the Fine family and to all those on Stoney Creek who loved him. I do not think it was a coincidence that such a loving man went home to the Lord on Valentines Day. God Bless John Fine, you have made it home.

Good post Coach 17. One other small point. As a lot of folks on Stoney Creek know, John Fine was always such a great believer in girls athletics. I guess that may have come from having two daughters himself. He always made sure that the girls had equal time in the gym for practice, equal equipment, funding, etc.. I know my own daughter as well as a lot of others benefitted from his insistance that the girls were treated as well as the boys. Thanks principal Fine - rest well.

John Fine assisted Coach Ronnie Hicks for several years, and his daughters, Ashley and Brittany, were both tremendous softball players.

I'm personally thankful to John Fine for supporting Coach Michael "Acie" Ensor while Acie successfully battled to keep the Rangers football program from folding, meanwhile enduring much unjust criticism statewide. Mr. Fine even drove the players' bus to Unaka's away football games. That was Special.

QUOTE(Rangerbook06 @ Feb 15 2007 - 05:16 PM) 826373356[/snapback]

So the Lady Ragers ended up with the 4th seed? Thats what the press is saying.

You can't believe everything you read.

Elizabethton plays Unicoi County at Four O:Clock, Saturday at David Crockett. Then, it's off to Chuckey Doak for the Seven O:Clock game between third seed, Unaka, versus second seed, Hampton.

Just when it appeared Elizabethton was ready to put Johnson County away, the Lady Longhorns made a few shots, the Lady Cyclones missed a few, and next thing you know, it's a nail-biter. Elizabethton won by eight, but it got frightfully close.

Congratulations to Johnson County's April McCloud, who hit her 1,002nd career point with 46 seconds remaining in the game. McCloud hit a basket and was fouled, and during the pause, Great Sportsmanship by Elizabethton, as Sonny Hunt, the EHS PAA, announced April's feat. The game was halted and April was presented a game ball. First Class move by Mr. Hunt, especially in such a hotly contested game.

Hey, it's ONLY a game. Waydago, Sonny!

QUOTE(krichunaka @ Feb 15 2007 - 03:22 PM) 826373242[/snapback]

John Fine assisted Coach Ronnie Hicks for several years, and his daughters, Ashley and Brittany, were both tremendous softball players.

I'm personally thankful to John Fine for supporting Coach Michael "Acie" Ensor while Acie successfully battled to keep the Rangers football program from folding, meanwhile enduring much unjust criticism statewide. Mr. Fine even drove the players' bus to Unaka's away football games. That was Special.

Did Ashley and Brittany go to TA Dugger?