Tri-County Seven - Week of 11 February, 2007

krichunaka

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mchale24 @ Feb 15 2007 - 11:19 PM) 826373872[/snapback]

Did Ashley and Brittany go to TA Dugger?

I think they did. Coachh17 noted in an earlier post that he was honored to have taught Mr. Fine's daughters.

Rangerbook, In a few minutes my son, Chris, and I are going to the funeral. His mother, Diana, absolutely adored John Fine.

Krich,

Thanks for your kind post but the credit belongs to Mr. Duane Ryan who does the announcing for the Lady Cyclones. About 18 years ago when we went to the 4 games a night format Duane was kind enough to start to announce the Lady Cyclones. I do the boys and girls JV and then take a break during the girls varsity and come back for the boys varsity. You are not the only person who has been fooled by this arrangement as we sound very much alike.

GO CYCLONES

Voice,

Thanks for the correction. And to think, I sat right next to Mr. Ryan throughout the South Greene game. He was very helpful. The Cyclone sports family is fortunate to have both of you. Also, the moment of silence dedicated to the Sullivan North family and team was very touching.

17, I'm sorry, I didn't see your message until this morning, however, my niece, Hollie Richardson, is very close to Brittany, and I'll see that they receive your kind words. Three wonderful women - Connie, Ashley and Brittany Fine - have shown tremendous courage throughout. Well after Eight O:Clock, the line still reached the hallway.

Ryann Musick was there with her father; a long, long drive from Austin Peay. Very Classy. And I got to talk with Megan Heaton's mother. Appears both of your T A Dugger/Unaka gals are doing great.

We hope to do at least two games tonight, starting with UCHS - EHS. Hopefully you can listen.

QUOTE(krichunaka @ Feb 15 2007 - 10:54 PM) 826373807[/snapback]

You can't believe everything you read.

Elizabethton plays Unicoi County at Four O:Clock, Saturday at David Crockett. Then, it's off to Chuckey Doak for the Seven O:Clock game between third seed, Unaka, versus second seed, Hampton.

Just when it appeared Elizabethton was ready to put Johnson County away, the Lady Longhorns made a few shots, the Lady Cyclones missed a few, and next thing you know, it's a nail-biter. Elizabethton won by eight, but it got frightfully close.

Congratulations to Johnson County's April McCloud, who hit her 1,002nd career point with 46 seconds remaining in the game. McCloud hit a basket and was fouled, and during the pause, Great Sportsmanship by Elizabethton, as Sonny Hunt, the EHS PAA, announced April's feat. The game was halted and April was presented a game ball. First Class move by Mr. Hunt, especially in such a hotly contested game.

Hey, it's ONLY a game. Waydago, Sonny!

Krich,

As always, you never miss details. Mr. Hunt's a real class act. It was odd to hear a tribute paid to a player of the visiting team (particularly in such a close game / as you pointed out). Encouraging to see that people really understand that highschool athletics are really about 'all' of the kids. Congrats to the Longhorns for playing such a close game.

P.S.- You and the boss man sounded great on the broadcast!

Though it pains me greatly, congratulations to Coach Fisher and the Lady Devils for your semi-final win over Elizabethton. It has been awile since you have felled the Cyclones. Good luck against South Greene in the final. They have one coming to them. You may see the Lady Cyclones again, but if not, it has been a great rivalry.

QUOTE(cyclone152 @ Feb 17 2007 - 01:36 PM) 826376187[/snapback]Krich,

As always, you never miss details. Mr. Hunt's a real class act. It was odd to hear a tribute paid to a player of the visiting team (particularly in such a close game / as you pointed out). Encouraging to see that people really understand that highschool athletics are really about 'all' of the kids. Congrats to the Longhorns for playing such a close game.

P.S.- You and the boss man sounded great on the broadcast!

Great Statement by you, 152!

17, I really wanted to see this game for all the obvious reasons. We had hoped to do the UCHS - EHS game, than head on to Afton to cover Unaka - Hampton, and then the two boys games; but the weather changed our plans at the last minute, in fact, as we drove toward Greene County Jonesborough.

Doug Fritz wrote a good article that gave Unicoi County and Coach Fisher full due, and pointed out the reasons for the loss by the Lady Cyclones: Foul trouble for both Michaela and Marti, and the injury to Mariah. Coach Weems showed tremendous character and class in defeat, making certain not to blame the officiating. The Lady Cyclones will be re-focused and ready to move on, starting Monday.

The UHS - UHS score was right. The Ranger boys have to play harder, execute much better. They actually led 15 - 11 after the first quarter.

Very Big Win for the Lady Rangers over Hampton. What a game by Sallee Taylor, who had eighteen points, all in the second half.

Good job Rangers! And way to go Sallee!

As for the Unicoi-EHS game, it was simply time for the streak to end. EHS had its chances, but just didnt capitalize. First case in point: 12-4 EHS at the end of the first qtr. EHS was 1 of 5 FTs through the first quarter and a half, and despite this EHS led 17-8. It shoulda been 20 or 21-8. Overall EHS ended the game 9-19 FTs while Unicoi was 25-33. In the second quarter, foul trouble put Michaela on the bench, and then Marti (both with 3) and the mismatches allowed UHS to seize a 22-19 halftime lead. First half fouls were 14-7. Mainer didnt get a whistle. Edwards had 1. EHS's posts had 6. They allowed them to play on one end and not on the other, in the first half. But as coach Weems said, the officiating did not cost EHS the game, cause in the second half they pretty much let them play on both ends. Interesting technical called on EHS bench though----seems bench includes fans sitting in the stands behind the bench cause thats who told the ref he was blind--and no it wasnt me!! EHS tied the score in the third, but never got the lead back. EHS hung around till Canady hit the big three with 4 to go to give them a seven point lead. Simply put, overall Unicoi wanted this game more than EHS did. EHS has some soul searching to do. At least this year, unlike last (regional loss to GP), they have the opportunity to redeem themselves.

Barnett and Mainer each had 18 points. Coach Fisher did a great job and made his 600th career win a memorable one.