Tri-County Seven - Week of 11 February, 2007

krichunaka

Simply put, the Devil ladies made plays and shots when they counted the most. Congradulations to them on a well played game. Fisher had his ladies prepared, both mentally and physically. Elizabethon let themselves down as they seemed to be uninspired when the needed that ' go-get'em gear '. And yes, just as Unicoi fans have aluded to in the past vs Betsy...........the Devils got the 'friendly' whistle last night. That's part of the game.

I also thought Weems made a terrible decision mid 2nd qtr. Instead of going into that 'semi-stall' to shorten the game with Big Pet on the bench with 2 (Eliz had a descent lead at the time), he decided to put her back in the game and roll on. Pet picked up her 3rd during that time and it ended up being a very big coaching mistake. Everyone rolls the dice but they didn't land in the Cyclones favor. Personally, as aggressive as Pet is, with Unicoi going inside strong and the way the refs were calling, I'm 'shortening the game'. NO second thoughts about it at all.

Good luck to both in the regionals. It will be interesting to see if Reg. 1 will match up with Reg. 2 ??

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the Eliz. / Unicoi game & it seemed to me that Elizabethton's coach took them out of the game. Their sole game plan for the entire game was to get the ball inside to Michaela & that was it. Their guards would not penetrate to try the layup or draw a foul or feed the ball back outside for an open 8-10 footer, even when Unicoi's defense was so spread out you could have driven a semi to the basket. The Eliz. guards attempted to force feed passes into the inside to players who were not open thus turning the ball over several times, and when there was still approx. 3:30 seconds remaining in the game and Eliz. was only down by approx. 7-10 points, Elizabethton's defense allowed Unicoi to run well over two minutes off of the clock before fouling to force Unicoi to the foul line. None of these mistakes were ever corrected. I question wether Weems knows how to coach when he has to try a different strategy besides getting the ball inside to one of the "twin towers." This was definately the worst game I've seen Eliz. play all year and my guess is that this won't be the last time Michaela & Bush get in early foul trouble before the end of the season. Weems had better figure out how to make his guards more aggressive or I'm afraid the season will end early for the Cyclones.

One cannot fault Elizabethton for trying to feed the inside first. When you have the Pietrowskis and Bush you would be crazy not to do so. Before the current group of posts the Cyclones fed Rikki Baughman for four years, so the Cyclone guards have gotten used to feeding the post for years. The posts are unselfish and when doubled will kick it to the other post or find a spot up shooter for a three. You have pinpointed a Cyclone weakness, however. They have not had many slashers who will take the ball hard to the rim. Sarah Smith, Valnessha Redd, and Cameron Crapps did some slashing in the past, but the current crop of guards has never really had to. Victoria Hopson has had success driving and probably needs to do it more now. Quick athletic teams that pressure the ball give Elizabethton the most trouble. They will continue to "dance with who brought them", but the guards must cut down on turnovers and take the ball to the hole when the posts are covered to advance down the road.

12 and 17: I agree that all players need to be more aggressive going to the basket. Guards and posts. And my take on the loss was more to focus on the defensive end. 54 points is more than Unicoi has scored on EHS in several years. EHS must get back to playing Cyclone Defense----and be 100% committed to making the most of their remaining opportunities. Leave it on the court....And then there will be no regrets, no matter what happens.

QUOTE(coachh17 @ Feb 18 2007 - 09:12 PM) 826378229[/snapback]One cannot fault Elizabethton for trying to feed the inside first. When you have the Pietrowskis and Bush you would be crazy not to do so. Before the current group of posts the Cyclones fed Rikki Baughman for four years, so the Cyclone guards have gotten used to feeding the post for years. The posts are unselfish and when doubled will kick it to the other post or find a spot up shooter for a three. You have pinpointed a Cyclone weakness, however. They have not had many slashers who will take the ball hard to the rim. Sarah Smith, Valnessha Redd, and Cameron Crapps did some slashing in the past, but the current crop of guards has never really had to. Victoria Hopson has had success driving and probably needs to do it more now. Quick athletic teams that pressure the ball give Elizabethton the most trouble. They will continue to "dance with who brought them", but the guards must cut down on turnovers and take the ball to the hole when the posts are covered to advance down the road.

I think we are basically in agreement here Coach. I can't fault the Lady Cyclones for trying to feed the ball inside first. I can however fault them for ONLY TRYING TO FEED THE BALL INSIDE THE WHOLE GAME. There was absolutely no plan B when feeding the ball inside didn't work. They only tried to FORCE the ball inside when the posts were covered. And that business at the end of the game astonished me. I could not understand why Weems wasn't screaming for his defense to foul before over two minutes ran off the clock basically handing the game to Unicoi Co. when Eliz. still had an outside chance of winning or at least tieing the game.