Kingston Girls Basketball

bballnuts

I have not been to their practices so I can't judge what goes on there but I can tell you the girl’s only act and do what they are taught to do and they don't do very much in a game. In the games I have seen (5 or 6); there has been little or no a strategy changes or personal changing to try to win. That is coaching.

They had a lot of talent at the beginning and still do. They are young, very athletic kids that can play at the AA level but in my opinion (which means little or nothing); the girls attitude’s, their youth and the unwillingness to play team basketball are also major factor’s in their failure right now. I see them only worrying about themselves and not working within a team concept.

The coaching now and the past few years has had something to do with this (about 60 %) but; you can’t place all the blame on the coaching, the girls have to carry some of the burden as well (40%). Either way their program has problems right now, but they are fixable.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Hopi @ Feb 15 2007 - 11:15 AM) 826372859[/snapback]

I have not been to their practices so I can't judge what goes on there but I can tell you the girl’s only act and do what they are taught to do and they don't do very much in a game. In the games I have seen (5 or 6); there has been little or no a strategy changes or personal changing to try to win. That is coaching.

They had a lot of talent at the beginning and still do. They are young, very athletic kids that can play at the AA level but in my opinion (which means little or nothing); the girls attitude’s, their youth and the unwillingness to play team basketball are also major factor’s in their failure right now. I see them only worrying about themselves and not working within a team concept.

The coaching now and the past few years has had something to do with this (about 60 %) but; you can’t place all the blame on the coaching, the girls have to carry some of the burden as well (40%). Either way their program has problems right now, but they are fixable.

Your girl wont be playing tonight. She stayed home from school today. She's been throwing up since last night. She's looking forward to tryouts next month. Where's it going to be held?

QUOTE(bigdave25 @ Feb 15 2007 - 10:51 AM) 826372827[/snapback]

Give him a couple of years! He has a major hurdle to get over and it's called youth! If things don't begin to turn around by Christmas or so of next year then you can say it's the coaching. Until then support the program!

I'm all for giving him time, however, he's had all last summer and 29 games so far this season. I think its unrealistic to think they would have a winning season this year after watching them last year. I do think, that as a fan, I would expect to see some kind of gradual improvement from where they were at the beginning of the season. Watching them play, I can tell you that they havent made any progress, if anything, they've gotten worse. They still struggle to make good passes, their shooting is about the worse I've seen at the high school level and he still hasnt done anything about some of the players attitudes.

I do support the program, but I would like to see some kind of improvement!! I'm not even expecting wins, just teach them how to pass a basketball without turning it over.

QUOTE(bballnuts @ Feb 14 2007 - 08:39 AM) 826371158[/snapback]

What has happened to the Kingston Girls Basketball team? I've never seen a team nose dive like this one has! Considering the level of talent they are suppose to have, why have they fallen apart this year. I've seen them play a few times this year and man, its hard to watch. I looked at their record on Coacht and crunched some numbers, check this out -

Since Dec 15th, they are 1 - 18

They're scoring an average of 32 ppg

They lose by an average of 24.3 ppg

If I hadnt seen them play, I would never have believed they were in this kind of shape.

Is anyone coaching them??? If so, what are they doing???

QUOTE(bballnuts @ Feb 14 2007 - 08:39 AM) 826371158[/snapback]

What has happened to the Kingston Girls Basketball team? I've never seen a team nose dive like this one has! Considering the level of talent they are suppose to have, why have they fallen apart this year. I've seen them play a few times this year and man, its hard to watch. I looked at their record on Coacht and crunched some numbers, check this out -

Since Dec 15th, they are 1 - 18

They're scoring an average of 32 ppg

They lose by an average of 24.3 ppg

If I hadnt seen them play, I would never have believed they were in this kind of shape.

Is anyone coaching them??? If so, what are they doing???

This is my first time on this board and man I got a lot to say about all the posts , so I will start here!

Figuratively yes, but after looking at those stats what coach worth their salt wouldn't try to change this trend. Answer:Not Kingston's. Watching the same people make the same mistakes game after game is maddening! The coach needs to MAKE the players do what he wants. If they don't; sit them down and let someone else try to do it better. Make a player understand that if you don't do it right you won't do it at all!!!!! Trust me, I've been to almost every game and their coach is as quiet as a churh mouse. He should utilize his timeout in the first half and make adjustments or chew some butt!

QUOTE(jacketsfan13 @ Feb 15 2007 - 08:32 AM) 826372689[/snapback]

Jabstep- seen him do what?

Jabstep??? Seen him do what? I read your (mostly accurate) scouting report so you obviously have been to see this team play pretty often. He has demonstrated all season that he is only willing to try and fit a square post in a round hole!!! He has had the perfect opportunity to get all his young players some PT but as I said in another post he just lets the same people make the same mistakes over and over and over and over.... He runs that pathetic 5 out offense designed for guards or a shooting team! Stone Memorial could use that offense but Kingston needs to scrap it!!!! Baskeball always was and always will be an inside out out game. To take posts and put them on the perimeter is STUPID! Who will rebound? Not the guards. The coach doesn't seem to impress upon the ENTIRE team that they need to rebound. I know that long shots create long rebounds (alot in Kingston's case) but to put your posts out there is senseless. Even if your scouting report is true and the starting post makes 30% of her shots, that is still better than the 2-5% (I'm being generous here!) of shots the perimeter players make. Posts need to be in the paint. Bigdave25 says to give him some time. I don't want to watch poor coaching over and over and over......

QUOTE(H0thead @ Feb 16 2007 - 04:07 PM) 826374829[/snapback]

Jabstep??? Seen him do what? I read your (mostly accurate) scouting report so you obviously have been to see this team play pretty often. He has demonstrated all season that he is only willing to try and fit a square post in a round hole!!! He has had the perfect opportunity to get all his young players some PT but as I said in another post he just lets the same people make the same mistakes over and over and over and over.... He runs that pathetic 5 out offense designed for guards or a shooting team! Stone Memorial could use that offense but Kingston needs to scrap it!!!! Baskeball always was and always will be an inside out out game. To take posts and put them on the perimeter is STUPID! Who will rebound? Not the guards. The coach doesn't seem to impress upon the ENTIRE team that they need to rebound. I know that long shots create long rebounds (alot in Kingston's case) but to put your posts out there is senseless. Even if your scouting report is true and the starting post makes 30% of her shots, that is still better than the 2-5% (I'm being generous here!) of shots the perimeter players make. Posts need to be in the paint. Bigdave25 says to give him some time. I don't want to watch poor coaching over and over and over......

Very well said. I agree completely. I'm not sure where Jabstep got his numbers but if you look at the individual stats posted on the Knox Prep Extra Website, I believe the post he refers to as making only 30% of her shots, actually makes about 47%, thats according to the stats on Prep Extra. Not sure how accurate those are though. It really doesnt even matter, basketball is not an individual sport, it should be all about the team. I personally dont care who does the scoring, I would just like to see the girls average more than 30 or so ppg.

bballnuts, the numbers on Prep Extra are fairly correct, however, they're only showing stats for about 15 games.

For the Lady Jackets, the bottom line is this, they have no outside threat and until everyone on the team learns how to make a good pass, they will continue to have far too many turnovers and that will be the cause of future losses. I agree with hothead that he should mix it up some, try something different, he's gone with the basic same starting lineup for most of the season and it never worked. Teach the girls the basics of making good passes. On offense, he should go with 2 guards (Brooke Theape and one other, not sure who that should be) and 3 post players. I would suggest Smith, Mergen and either Raye or Martin depending on who was playing better on the particular night. I would have my guards (after they've been coached on how to pass a basketball to players posting up), force the ball inside. My post players would be mandated to make a move and shoot the ball. In only rare situations, would they be allowed to pass it back out to the guards to shoot a 3. Once the pass was made to the post, everyone would be crashing the boards in order to rebound.

Just a thought!!