Is there no class on the South Greene staff?

bucdaddio

Sullivan North was playing without their leading scorer and rebounder, Keisha Day, who was dismissed from the team.Their other teammate, Merrisa Williams, was in critical condition from a Wednesday morning car crash, and yet they try to carry on. After speaking with Merissa's family, they put her number, 44, on their shoes as a tribute, and head into the game after a tearful lockerroom meeting. But after foul trouble left them with just FOUR players on the floor, South Greene continued to press in the 4th period with a 40 point lead.

What's up with that?

Tourney Loss last of Lady Raiders Worries

That is totally classless and thats how Id expect that South Greene bunch to act,as a devoted cyclone fan,my prayers go out to the injured player,her family and your team! GODSPEED to her!

Hopefully our Cyclone girls can beat Unicoi and handle SG for you!

That could be an inspiration for our girls!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(THE KING @ Feb 16 2007 - 12:50 PM) 826374558[/snapback]

South Greene had every right to play the game. It was not their fault that these terrible things happened. Build a program that can compete and quit crying.

Noones talking about the kids,its the Coaching staff that is classless!

KING, you know all about that dont you!

It shows classless coaches stick together!

I'm a completely neutral party in this and my prayers go out to Merrisa Williams, but there are many lessons to be learned from this. I personally have conflicting viewpoints about this.

First off you really aren't supposed to bring personal battles onto the court, but I do realize that these girls are young and probably aren't mentally prepared to do that. For many of them it's probably their first experience with the 'pain of loss' but it's a fact of life we all have to face.

Secondly basketball is a competition. Whether you win by 40 or 1, it's just an 'L'. Honestly if I was a freshman looking to improve my position on a team, I would have played to the best of my ability. Their are no friends or enemies on the court, all that exists is the game. I really can't say you should shave points for any reason, but I know everyone doesn't feel the way I do.

QUOTE(THE KING @ Feb 16 2007 - 12:50 PM) 826374558[/snapback]

South Greene had every right to play the game. It was not their fault that these terrible things happened. Build a program that can compete and quit crying.

King, or should we call you Asst. coach for SG girls basketball? Read the posts again, nobody said SG didnt have the right to play, nor blamed anyone for North having players missing. Your comments further substantiates what everyone thinks about the game last night. Keep it up King, you are doing (coaching) great!

QUOTE(DBWATCHDOG @ Feb 16 2007 - 02:19 PM) 826374691[/snapback]

King, or should we call you Asst. coach for SG girls basketball? Read the posts again, nobody said SG didnt have the right to play, nor blamed anyone for North having players missing. Your comments further substantiates what everyone thinks about the game last night. Keep it up King, you are doing (coaching) great!

King's not South Greene's assistant. He dosen't even have enough class to be on that staff. He's a washed up never-was from Cloudland.

North's team didn't even know if they wanted to play the game or not, but Merissa's dad urged them to go out there and give them their best. Talking to him this afternoon, he's become even more upset at how the North girls were treated at SG, saying he never would have told them to go play if he knew what the outcome was going to be. I also know that Coach Griffin from North had a good choice words to say about SG's coaching and the "no call press" they were playing. All I know from this is that let SG enjoy their great victory. All they did was soil all of those district championship plaques they have on the wall of the gym.

It's one thing to go out and play for the love of a game and the competition it brings. It's another to go out and try to slaughter a team of girls that had nothing but heart going into the game to begin with. What point did SG try to prove?

As an aside, Merissa is going to have a long recovery period if she can make it through this weekend. She is currently in a coma but showing a little improvement. She had multiple fractures in her face, pelvis, and legs. The family and friends of Merissa Williams wants to thank everyone for their continued thoughts and prayers. It's all in the hands of God, as it always is.

First of all I want to tell you all that Merissa is in very bad shape. Her face was crushed, her knees are gone, lungs badley bruised and they had to put a stint in her head to stop the swelling on her brain stem. Today they tried to take her out of a drug induced coma and she has slipped into a real coma. I think everyone needs to just pray for her and her family. The north girls came out and played with broken hearts and yes its a competition. Over and done. Have some compassion about a school that is a tight knit bunch going through a tough time with all of this because this is someone they have all grown up with through elementary school. This is an extremely hard time for everyone. Good luck to the rest of the contenders for their season and just please everyone put a prayer up for this young lady and her family. They really need all they can right now. Thank You.

QUOTE(QuiKTiLDeF @ Feb 16 2007 - 02:14 PM) 826374684[/snapback]

I'm a completely neutral party in this and my prayers go out to Merrisa Williams, but there are many lessons to be learned from this. I personally have conflicting viewpoints about this.

First off you really aren't supposed to bring personal battles onto the court, but I do realize that these girls are young and probably aren't mentally prepared to do that. For many of them it's probably their first experience with the 'pain of loss' but it's a fact of life we all have to face.

Secondly basketball is a competition. Whether you win by 40 or 1, it's just an 'L'. Honestly if I was a freshman looking to improve my position on a team, I would have played to the best of my ability. Their are no friends or enemies on the court, all that exists is the game. I really can't say you should shave points for any reason, but I know everyone doesn't feel the way I do.

Ordinarily you do have a good point, but this was not the first time to play North this season. Per the paper, it was actually close to 50 points when they were pressing. They whipped North twice this season by almost as many points and they jumped out to 20-4 advantage last night. The coach should have had the bench in long before so they wouldnt have to be showing their ability. I agree with your mind set to play hard, but this was not the time. I agree with an earlier post about teaching kids a life lesson. Can you imagine how much great press South Greene would have received if the coach would have taken the high road?

QUOTE(recruitguru @ Feb 16 2007 - 03:16 PM) 826374766[/snapback]

First of all I want to tell you all that Merissa is in very bad shape. Her face was crushed, her knees are gone, lungs badley bruised and they had to put a stint in her head to stop the swelling on her brain stem. Today they tried to take her out of a drug induced coma and she has slipped into a real coma. I think everyone needs to just pray for her and her family. The north girls came out and played with broken hearts and yes its a competition. Over and done. Have some compassion about a school that is a tight knit bunch going through a tough time with all of this because this is someone they have all grown up with through elementary school. This is an extremely hard time for everyone. Good luck to the rest of the contenders for their season and just please everyone put a prayer up for this young lady and her family. They really need all they can right now. Thank You.

Well said.