Is there no class on the South Greene staff?

bucdaddio

QUOTE(Slipstream1 @ Feb 16 2007 - 01:28 PM) 826374617[/snapback]

Totally classless by SG but that is to be expected. I guess it would be too much to ask the SG coach to have used the 4th quarter as a teaching moment about life and not basketball.

In this regard, it's easy to see that South Greene's current coach is a product of former South Greene coach Larry Ricker. (I realize that his accident was a tragedy, so don't start with that line).

Even though Ricker was a successful coach, he was no stranger to running up the score and pressing teams with a 30, 40, or 50 point lead. After his talent pool dried up(Hopson, Hawhee, Starnes, Davis twins, etc.), he wasn't the uber-coach that many believed him to be. Look at his record in the year or 2 preceeding his "retirement" if you want to debate it.

Sorry for veering off course. the current coach played for Ricker, so it shouldn't surprise anyone to see this type of sportmanship.

Again, let me reiterate that I'm not trying to denigrate former Coach Ricker. He was very successful, and well-liked by his former players(much like Bobby Knight). I wish him well in his recovery.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have not had anything personally 2 do w/ either school but i can not believe that a team wld have the determination to go on w/ the game when they are facing the turmoil the 1 faced that day. I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT THE OTHER TEAM played like they did. if you are up by more than 20 points by all means back off especially if they only have 4 on the floor. is there no compasion. sure you can play w/ drive and whoop te do so she put the freshman in give her a pat on the back...teach something other than how to win poorly. teach how to win w/ class and heart. prayers go out to both of these teams and coaches but for different reasons.

I am not familiar with either one of these schools. I do know however that a while back there was a topic on here about a Marion County / Grundy game that brought tears to my eyes because of the Marion girls' sportsmanship and the way they treated a young lady who came on the floor to play...just an incredible display of sportsmanship...and I will remember those schools for that reason. And last year there was a topic on here about 2 other teams who played a game one night and another very special young lady got to play....the night of her life, Kari was her name, so very sad that her illness claimed her life later on and that brought tears to my eyes also...... another awesome display of sportsmanship by these 2 teams. You know what, it didn't matter who won or lost either of those games most of us don't even care. After reading this thread I have tears in my eyes for another reason. Prayers certainly for the young lady who was in the accident and her family.

QUOTE(THE KING @ Feb 16 2007 - 11:50 AM) 826374558[/snapback]

South Greene had every right to play the game. It was not their fault that these terrible things happened. Build a program that can compete and quit crying.

This is the stupidest post I have ever read. 5 on 4 with a 40 point lead. Rather than let this happen to his girls (or her girls, I don't know) They should have just pulled their 4 and went home. To humiliate a team like this is...well...its already been said. And the old saying is true....What goes around comes around. And it may not be this team. It may be another team who will take up the cause and rip you to shreds.

I don't know anything about either of these schools so I had to look up what class these schools are in to see who South Greene might meet up with in the post season. They are AA.

All are prayers go out to this young lady, her family, and her school from Forrest High School, 2006 Class A State Champions.

Elizabethton's boys beat South Greene tonight 50-49 in a quarterfinal District 1AA game at EHS. Very very rough physical game. On the girls side, another Carter County team, Happy Valley plays South Greene tommorow night in a District semifinal game. Go Warriors!!

South Greene shares coaches----the boys head coach is the assistant to head girls coach Amy Hawk, and vice versa, or so I understand. Their sportmanship display, or lack thereof, against North is the talk of upper east tennessee.

Start Date: 2007-02-18

End Date: 2007-02-18

City: Kingsport, TN

Topic: Events

Description: Prayer vigil for Merissa Williams, 16 year old Sullivan North Student critically injured in car accident on valentines day. She is fighting for her life. Please come and bring a candle and help us pray for her. We are meeting at the parking garage out front of the hospital at 7 pm sunday nite Feb l8. Please come we need everyone we can get to pray for this beautiful child. It could have just as well been our own children. Thank You and God Bless or leave a message for her family at www.myspace.com/secretgardengurl

Contact Person: Jerra Akers

Contact Email: [email protected]

Date Added: 2007-02-17 13:00:33