Is there no class on the South Greene staff?

bucdaddio

QUOTE(barb @ Feb 19 2007 - 10:00 AM) 826378949[/snapback]C'mon we all know SG is not the armpit of Greene County That can easily belong to other areas of our fair county. I agree that, while these fans have every reason to be outraged at the unsportsmanlike tactics of the SG staff, some of these posters have gotten a little off-target with their comments. This coach deserves to be reprimanded for this conduct.Period. The fans, girls, or former coaches bear no responsibility here. As a community, we have had our share of loss and pray for Marissa's recovery as well as that of sullivan North and its community. But please, try to keep the focus here on the coach's behavior.

Thanks Barb, I really enjoy reading your posts as always. Good Luck Greene Devils. Coach is really a good person and I hate that these self-rightous people are judging her and bashing her like they are and yeah she is human and people make mistakes and thank God we only have one true GOD to judge us. May God Bless all of you AND I HONESTLY MEAN THAT AND I WISH ALL THE TEAMS EVEN YOUR'S CYCLONE FAN . Like I said early I love the game and I hate that all of this has happened but you know there is so much hate in the world all ready. Cyclone fan if you really want to know what kind of people we are why don't you ask Coach Weems he had my daughter in school at Debusk Elem. and he will tell you they are good kids I am sure. I will be praying for Marissa and her family and I hope everyone on this particular post will devote the energy the are spending on the (armpit of Greene County) to praying for her instead of bashing us worthless people of South Greene.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barb is right. It's not the kids fault. They only do what they are told or taught to do. And pgsg10, you seem to still be disputing what happened. Read Dave Ongie's article in today's Kingsport paper (and he was there)........Coming out of a timeout by North's coach to let his players know they would only have 4 players out there...."South Greene's five players lined up in a full court press against North's four players despite holding a fifty point lead with 45 seconds left on the clock".

This was coming out of a timeout. And SG lined up in a press.

I'm going to try and post the weblink to the article.

QUOTE(CycloneFan @ Feb 19 2007 - 11:46 AM) 826379072[/snapback]Barb is right. It's not the kids fault. They only do what they are told or taught to do. And pgsg10, you seem to still be disputing what happened. Read Dave Ongie's article in today's Kingsport paper (and he was there)........Coming out of a timeout by North's coach to let his players know they would only have 4 players out there...."South Greene's five players lined up in a full court press against North's four players despite holding a fifty point lead with 45 seconds left on the clock".

This was coming out of a timeout. And SG lined up in a press.

I'm going to try and post the weblink to the article.

You know I am not trying to dispute anything I just don't like you bashing our kids. You believe what you want because Frankly I don't care what YOU think and like I said Good Luck to you and your the Lady Cyclones I really mean that and why don't you quit wasting your energy on us worthless people from the armpit of Greene County and use it for some good like praying for Marissa. May GOD bless you and Marissa . I will be praying for the both of you.

If they truely were pressing 5 on 4 with 45 secs left regardless of the external situations the coach should be gone! Under the circumstances that surrounded the North team some well meaning school adminstrator should have taken a stick to the coach while they were still on the bench. Did any of the SG players tell the coach it was wrong? Hopefully some of them had enough character to speak up.

I dont have a link, i have the newspaper in front of me, it is not knocking the kids, it is saying that the coaches were responsible for showing bad sportsmanship. It states that Sg five players lined up in a full court press against norths four players despite holding a 50 point lead with 45 seconds left on the clock. It says when adults lose sight of their priorities everyone loses. While north was learning the value of battling through adversity tht sg coaches deprived their players the values of compassion and not kicking someone while they were down. Pretty much the gist of it.

I started this thread, and I believe even the title of the thread says "South Greene staff". I would not bash the girls for something they did not control. The coach is responsible for this outrageous diplay of poor sportsmanship and for that there wouldn't seem to be a defense.

I'm sorry that some of the posts have been derogatory toward your community or your kids, but your basketball team is a representative of your community when they play, and when your coach displays such poor judgement, it reflects badly on the community whether anybody wants it to or not..............

This is a bad thing that happened. Why did it happen? Only the person responsible really knows. I do know it is unfortunate that it happened and I do know that they have some very very good kids on the South Greene team. I do know they love to win and they compete very hard. Some things have been said about the girls and believe it or not they might be from South Greene but they can read and they dont deserve to be put down any further. I don't know why that happened but it was bad and I disagree with it 100%. I also don't think putting Coach Ricker down is very nice either. However since it has been done and it is over why does everyone who has been posting on the subject just put all their energy into praying for Marissa to improve and get well. From what I understand she has a long road to recovery and I am sure that she, her parents and her friends would all appreciate the thoughts and prayers that could be given to her.

QUOTE(QuiKTiLDeF @ Feb 16 2007 - 02:14 PM) 826374684[/snapback]I'm a completely neutral party in this and my prayers go out to Merrisa Williams, but there are many lessons to be learned from this. I personally have conflicting viewpoints about this.

First off you really aren't supposed to bring personal battles onto the court, but I do realize that these girls are young and probably aren't mentally prepared to do that. For many of them it's probably their first experience with the 'pain of loss' but it's a fact of life we all have to face.

Secondly basketball is a competition. Whether you win by 40 or 1, it's just an 'L'. Honestly if I was a freshman looking to improve my position on a team, I would have played to the best of my ability. Their are no friends or enemies on the court, all that exists is the game. I really can't say you should shave points for any reason, but I know everyone doesn't feel the way I do.

QuiKTiLDeF, you hit the nail right on the head. Basketball is a competition, BUT competition still has to have morals. Coaches are supposed to instill fair play, moral play, and teach their players to function as a team. From what I've read today, most of this was left out during the game. A coach who would allow this to go on doesn't need to be coaching. If a coach can't control her/his team, then they need to turn in the clipboard, marker, and move up into the stands and sit with the fans. There is no defense for this happening. Having coached myself, I have had several opportunities to remove a player from the game to teach a "life lesson". These girls learned a good one. Get a team down, put them down even more, put them down as far as you can, and then go for the jugular. If I've been mislead in reading what took place in this thread, I apologize. But if what is reported indeed did happen, I would encourage everyone who saw what took place to give the school, Central Office, and Director of Schools a call to complain. If this indeed did take place, this coach needs to be BENCHED permanently. We don't need that kind of garbage being taught to our kids. Win at all costs? Remember what goes around comes around, and it will! I'm an impartial party in this one, but again, if it did happen like it is being reported, the coach needs a dose of her/his own medicine! Events like this make me sick!

Congradulations to the Devils. There are three very descent teams in this area at this time and the Unicoi ladies did what they had to do to get two quality wins over two quality programs. I kinda think all three may be in trouble in the Regionals though??

As far as the coach and the pressing situation..........well, mistakes happen, especially in the 'heat' of tournament time. Maybe she is woman enough to tell her side of the story and 'own up' to an outraged public. Everyone makes mistakes.

Good luck and to Marissa..........get well soon! God's eyes are upon you and you are loved by many a fan.