Top goalkeepers

knoxgk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tron / All..

I just ment that when you add Club + HS + College, I'm not aware of another keeper that "scores" as high as Greene. There may be, but I haven't heard of him... (Again, I'm not dissing anyone. There are lots of good keepers in the area...)

About my "obsessed with offense" comment... what I meant was that the Farragut coaches seem to almost never give their defense the credit I think it deserved based on the games I saw. If you read the Sentinel and the Farragut Press, you would think Farragut played 2 v 11 all year...For instance, Turner ALWAYS touts his defense - especially Walker. But Culbreth usually says little about his defense - at least in the newspaper coverage I read this year. It's been all about two or three of his offensive players. Farragut had some really, really good offense this year, but it was their defense that saved the day on a few occassions - especially in the Districe 4AAA title game with Bearden. Greene had the best game in the goal that night I say from any keeper this season. The back line played exceptioally well also. Bearden would have beaten Farragut by 2-3 goals that night without the D. Didn't see any of that in print.

Part of the problem is that the east Tennesee papers seem to have a bunch of illerates covering soccer. They don't seem to understand anything except offense. Unless the coach promotes his defense, it usually gets virtually no print coverage - unless it does something wrong, of course.

Just my two cents...

QUOTE(SoccerItToMe @ Jun 12 2007 - 08:45 PM) 826474428[/snapback]Part of the problem is that the east Tennesee papers seem to have a bunch of illerates covering soccer. They don't seem to understand anything except offense. Unless the coach promotes his defense, it usually gets virtually no print coverage - unless it does something wrong, of course.

Just my two cents...

illerates???? That is some serious irony /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Also, not true. I've read multiple KNS articles in which focus has been given to defenders. Yes, most of the writers probably did not play soccer, but most people their age did not. The writers I've spoken with deserve credit for making an effort to learn the game well enough to report it.

QUOTE(uniden @ Jun 12 2007 - 11:09 PM) 826474436[/snapback]illerates???? That is some serious irony /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Also, not true. I've read multiple KNS articles in which focus has been given to defenders. Yes, most of the writers probably did not play soccer, but most people their age did not. The writers I've spoken with deserve credit for making an effort to learn the game well enough to report it.

/laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I agree. The KNS has made significant strides in soccer coverage over the past few years. It still isn't as thorough as I would prefer, but the current writers deserve credit for their efforts to learn the sport.

By the way, I hear Brian Walker will join his high school teammate Ryan Radcliffe and play for Maryville College next year.

1. Even Einstein made typos...

2. We'll just have to agree to disagree on the "D coverage issue". Go re-read the KSent articles for the year. It's conservative to say the offensive coverage : D coverage ratio was 3:1 - maybe worse if you look at all the coverage and count the sentences... Go back and read about 10 articles and check it for yourself...

3. I'm not questioning the motives of the writers or their quality as human beings. I'm confident their swell folks and are trying hard. I'm just critical of their balance (or lack there of) in reporting...

4. The problem isn't limited to the newspapers. When I first joined the forum, one of the very first things I noticed was the stronger relative balance on the offensive aspects of the game.... It's just an American thing I guess. Americans focus on scoring. Witness basketball and football. I have the impression most Americans view games with low scoring (baseball, hockey, etc.) as somewhat boring... I often wonder how American's view of soccer would change if FIFA awarded 6 points for a goal...

Anyway, I'm really not trying to pick an argument. Different perspectives is one of the things that makes the game so great....

QUOTE(SoccerItToMe @ Jun 13 2007 - 08:36 PM) 826474783[/snapback]1. Even Einstein made typos...

2. We'll just have to agree to disagree on the "D coverage issue". Go re-read the KSent articles for the year. It's conservative to say the offensive coverage : D coverage ratio was 3:1 - maybe worse if you look at all the coverage and count the sentences... Go back and read about 10 articles and check it for yourself...

3. I'm not questioning the motives of the writers or their quality as human beings. I'm confident their swell folks and are trying hard. I'm just critical of their balance (or lack there of) in reporting...

4. The problem isn't limited to the newspapers. When I first joined the forum, one of the very first things I noticed was the stronger relative balance on the offensive aspects of the game.... It's just an American thing I guess. Americans focus on scoring. Witness basketball and football. I have the impression most Americans view games with low scoring (baseball, hockey, etc.) as somewhat boring... I often wonder how American's view of soccer would change if FIFA awarded 6 points for a goal...

Anyway, I'm really not trying to pick an argument. Different perspectives is one of the things that makes the game so great....