proposed changes to A/AA state meet?

MrCoachD

hello,

i am coach dorris from MLK. i am the current middle tn state track comittee representative.

last summer in our state track meeting at the TSSAA i proposed that since AAA had added a field of 16 for each event and a day of running prelims that A/AA should be allowed to have 12 partipants in the distance races and field events since this would add very little time to the state track meet and allow some deserving athletes a chance to participate.

my idea was not well received by the comittee.

Based on some of the comments that have been made on this forum i feel that some of the athletes and coaches out there may like to see this idea become a reality. if you are in favor or oppose this idea, please respond to this thread or you can email me at

[email protected]

if you are coaching in the east or west section and have an opinion on this matter i suggest you also contact your state track rep as well.

this is my proposal,

top 2 from each section plus next best 6 times, distances, or heights in the decathlon, field events, 800m, 1600m, 3200m, and 4x800relay.

pro's

more athletes get to participate in state

some more qualified athletes are not punished for belonging to a stronger section in a particular event

adding runners to distance races would not add any length to the meet

four more field event particpants should only add a small amount of time to the field events

AAA is already competing with 16 athletes in the field events which seemed to go well last year

AAA 4x800 wasn't a disaster as might have been anticipated with so many teams in the exchange zones

allowing 12 participants in the field events should balance some of the fears of distance dominance since there are no extra sprinters allowed

the decathlon is already taking the top 12 with no negative impact

fill some empty spots that have occasionally occured when athletes qualified for but were unable to compete in an event at state due to injuries other conflicts (graduations, travel, etc)

cons

12 competive 800 runners may be too much of a logjam

as of now all A/AA athletes who finish their event would win a state medal and score

12 4x800 teams could lead to exchange zone colissions

adding some time to field events

slight shift of power to strong distance teams (3200, 1600, 800, 4x800 vs lj, hj, tj vs shot, disc vs pv)

in closing i do think that our current system of qualifying 2 per section plus the next 2 best times has gone a long way towards improving the A/AA state meet and is far superior than our old 4x2 method.

you are now my hero. i coach at gatlinburg-pittman in east tn and i also think it is a shame that many deserving athletes are not given the right to compete at state. while we see this a lot in the middle section, especially in the 1600 and 3200, it is not fair that athletes who run a 10:10 3200 do not advance while the two automatic qualifiers from the west section are well over 10:40.

i think that AAA has done a good job with their format. the only logical reason i can see for not applying this to A/AA is the representation issue based on population and number of AAA schools.

my vote is HECK YES! increase the qualifiers.

QUOTE(gphstrack @ Feb 21 2007 - 05:11 PM) 826383263[/snapback]you are now my hero. i coach at gatlinburg-pittman in east tn and i also think it is a shame that many deserving athletes are not given the right to compete at state. while we see this a lot in the middle section, especially in the 1600 and 3200, it is not fair that athletes who run a 10:10 3200 do not advance while the two automatic qualifiers from the west section are well over 10:40.

i think that AAA has done a good job with their format. the only logical reason i can see for not applying this to A/AA is the representation issue based on population and number of AAA schools.

my vote is HECK YES! increase the qualifiers.

and there were times faster than 10:10 left out last year

• 2 weeks later...