District 10A

bigtuck4242

QUOTE(qbmom14 @ May 26 2007 - 07:49 AM) 826467419[/snapback]I am looking for a video of the collision at home plate in the 2nd. Anybody have a copy?

I am not aware of any video of the collision, or any of the game for that matter. I was sitting on the first base side, so the catcher's back was to me. I did speak to couple of infielders who said from their vantage point it was ugly. I was also a little surprised that more was not made of it from the McEwen coaching staff. I was under the impression that a runner had to attempt to slide. There was absolutly no attempt made by the runner to avoid this collision. It looked like Pete Rose/Ray Fosse all over again.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LSMFT @ May 30 2007 - 05:16 PM) 826469231[/snapback]The must slide rule was put in about 20 years, if not more.

The rule book has no such regulation. That is a common thought among most casual fans, especially parents of the catcher. The only rule is to avoid contact, but it does not say a runner must slide.

Another rule that is unique: When a fly ball is hit, the fielder must be in the process of taking it out with the throwing hand before the out is called. Meaning, if an outfielder catches a fly ball and runs to the pitchers mound and just drops the ball on the ground straight from his glove. Then, technically the runner should be called safe because the outfielder never attempted to take the ball out with his throwing hand.

Baseball is a great sport where if you know all the nuances it makes it to be an even more interesting game.

QUOTE(butler7 @ May 30 2007 - 02:20 PM) 826469155[/snapback]I am not aware of any video of the collision, or any of the game for that matter. I was sitting on the first base side, so the catcher's back was to me. I did speak to couple of infielders who said from their vantage point it was ugly. I was also a little surprised that more was not made of it from the McEwen coaching staff. I was under the impression that a runner had to attempt to slide. There was absolutly no attempt made by the runner to avoid this collision. It looked like Pete Rose/Ray Fosse all over again.

just looking for a video for "memories". He has had surgery, with 2 pins inserted. Doing well, still in a cast, and ready to get rid of it.