Swimming and the TSSAA

v_i_k_i_n_g

When will the TSSAA decide to add swimming & diving to the list of sports it governs? I know that TISCA is the organization that controls high school swimming in Tennessee now, but they seem to cater to the larger USS clubs as well as the private schools.

The state swim meet was held this past weekend. There were almost 1000 swimmers who competed in the meet with about 1/3 of those swimmers coming from private schools. That 1/3 of the swimmers took over 1/2 of the awards at the meet. I don't think that the public schools are playing on an even field with the private schools and it really shows at the state meet. I would love to see a public shool championship meet.

I've heard the arguement for a long time that if TSSAA took over swimming that they would not allow swimmers to compete for USS clubs during the swim season. The last time this issue was brought up, TSSAA said they WOULD allow the swimmers to compete for their USS clubs. With the right guidance, TSSAA could make a real go of swimming & diving in the state of Tennessee and the sport of high school swimming & diving would flourish!

Do we need the TSSAA to mess up another sport? In my area, the public school teams struggle to find pool time and not one public school has its own facility. We struggle to fund books, much less very expensive aquatic facilities. Our local recreation center pools were even designed to NOT allow competition lengths and capabilities. Swimmers may gravitate to the private schools in order to have water available.

I was at the meet this past weekend, it was officiated well by competent individuals. I'm not aware of any major controversies in TISCA. Several public schools did very well (Brentwood and Bearden).

Besides, the TSSAA may very well go broke if Brentwood Academy ultimately wins its lawsuit!

Swim Fast!

As a competitor at a public school, I'm not sure I would like having seperation between public and private. Sure, I would have a better chance at placing, but I wouldn't really be swimming against the best of the best. I believe that it is unfair that private schools have so much more of an advantage in regards to facilities, coaches, training, and athletes (oh, what money can do) but it would be kind of depressing to compete at a public level and always know there's one step above me.

What would be a cool possibility would be a public school championship (say, Division II) and a private school championship (say, Division I). Each championship could have time standards that competitors would have to meet so they could advance to a state championship. To make it fair, maybe Division I could have harder qualifying times to balance distribution from both Divisions. That way, at the final state championship, everyone would indeed be swimming against the best of the best.

That's just my take on it though. I'm just happy to swim.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Do we need the TSSAA to mess up another sport? In my area, the public school teams struggle to find pool time and not one public school has its own facility. We struggle to fund books, much less very expensive aquatic facilities. Our local recreation center pools were even designed to NOT allow competition lengths and capabilities. Swimmers may gravitate to the private schools in order to have water available.

I was at the meet this past weekend, it was officiated well by competent individuals. I'm not aware of any major controversies in TISCA. Several public schools did very well (Brentwood and Bearden).

Besides, the TSSAA may very well go broke if Brentwood Academy ultimately wins its lawsuit!

Swim Fast!

• 4 months later...

Swim Fast!

cleveland high has its own pool that it owns