IMAC Predictions

mowesttrojan

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mowesttrojan @ Feb 28 2007 - 06:43 PM) 826393740[/snapback]My prediction for the IMAC is: MoWest

MoEast

Cherokee

Cocke

Greeneville

Jefferson

One by one:

Morristown West:

Lost only one or two seniors (not sure) off of a team that tied for regular season and made it to regionals last year. Pitcher is back for her senior year. Very offensive team. Have a strong group of freshmen coming in that could help if called upon, but most will likely have to wait another year or two to contribute. Biggest advantage this team has on a few other contenders is the senior leadership of Kayla Jackson. Her leadership could be the difference maker. Expect them to compete for IMAC championship and could make a run to the State.

Morristown East:

Extremely talented group. I understand a couple of seniors didn't come back out this year, but plenty enough talent to not impact them. One strong senior pitcher and one strong junior pitcher and more in the stable if necessary. Tons of offensive firepower. These girls have enjoyed tremendous success in summer ball over the years, but have yet to realize the full potential in high school. Seems they are sometimes their own worst enemy. If they stick together as a team this year....watch out. Expect them also to compete for IMAC championship and potentially a run at State.

Cherokee:

Another very talented group. Lost only one senior from last year's team that tied for the IMAC regular season. Return both pitchers from last year's team. Although, they will likely still only start one senior, the remainder of the line-up brings a tremendous amount of varsity high school experience. 4 junior "two year" starters return. Pitchers should be able to keep them in about every game they play. Offense can be Jekyl and Hyde. Hot streaks are extremely hot, cold streaks can be very cold. Apparently the coach's last season after roughly 40 years. Could be a great send-off. Expect them to also compete for the IMAc championship and potentially a run at State.

Jeff County:

The fourth member of the 4 way tie from last year. Lost a lot of senior leadership from last year. Pitcher is now playing at ETSU. Catcher is now playing at Tusculum I believe. Lost some tremendous speed in their leadoff slap hitter. I understand that they are very young this year. But this team is seems to be very well coached. They will almost certainly be down from last year, but look for them to potentially be a spoiler.

Greenville:

This team appeared to be on the edge of winning some big games last year. I believe but am not positive that they also will be returning the majority of their team including at least one of the pitching staff from last year. Look for this team to also act as a spoiler in the IMAC.

Cocke County:

This team seems to have one or two good athletes on it each year. That was certainly the case last year. But until they get some stronger pitching, life in the IMAC will not be kind to them.

So, with all that said, my predictions:

West, East and Cherokee in a three way tie at the top.

Followed by:

Greenville

Jeff County

Cocke County

I'm wondering about the health of the sport in the IMAC. How many players are each of these teams carrying on their rosters? MW started with 21, but is now down to 20 (7 seniors, 2 juniors, 6 sophs, 5 freshman), and has just 1 or 2 freshman coming in 2008. ME, I believe, is carrying 16 players. What about some of the others?

BTW - MW's schedule should be up later today or tomorrow & I'll get the roster up in a couple of days.

QUOTE(mwtfan @ Mar 1 2007 - 12:18 PM) 826394911[/snapback]I'm wondering about the health of the sport in the IMAC. How many players are each of these teams carrying on their rosters? MW started with 21, but is now down to 20 (7 seniors, 2 juniors, 6 sophs, 5 freshman), and has just 1 or 2 freshman coming in 2008. ME, I believe, is carrying 16 players. What about some of the others?

BTW - MW's schedule should be up later today or tomorrow & I'll get the roster up in a couple of days.

Cherokee has 2 seniors, 6 juniors, 4 sophomores, and 4 freshmen I believe. They did not have to cut to get their roster, but that has been typical numbers at Cherokee for several years.

QUOTE(statman3 @ Mar 1 2007 - 09:25 PM) 826395918[/snapback]Cherokee has 2 seniors, 6 juniors, 4 sophomores, and 4 freshmen I believe. They did not have to cut to get their roster, but that has been typical numbers at Cherokee for several years.

I think East is carrying 17, but they too did not have to cut to get their roster. Next year has few players coming in for them, but the year after that could be a huge class. West has had a couple of large classes, but a couple of smaller years on the horizon. It just seems to ebb and flow.

Your assessments look good to me. West is locked and loaded. Great depth and developing some young pitchers to back up their senior. I think West and Cherokee are a notch above, but Cherokee struggles vs the Trojans (mental block or maybe just the game style is to West advantage). Jeff lost some players that cannot be replaced. Still some good players if pitching comes along and young players in the pipeline. East similar to Cherokee in that pitching should keep them competitve and while East may have more potential sluggers, Cherokee will be better manufacturing runs. Greeneville has some great youth, but they too trying to find a next level pitcher. Cocke County will struggle until they solve the pitching woes as well. Most of these schools have "travel teams" associated with their schools, but I don't see one feeding Cocke county.

Should be a fun year, but West and Cherokee look to should be considered early favorites.

A couple of scrimmages to report:

After wins in the powell play day over Karns, Farrafut, Knox Central, and one other, East played Unicoi last night and won something like 11 to 2. Scrimmage with Science Hill rained out.

After a win against Johnson County earlier in the week 13 - 0, Cherokee beat Virginia High 4 - 0 last night. Scrimmage with Volunteer was cancelled for rain.

Are there any other IMAC scrimmage results anyone would like to add?

West didn't have to cut to get their final roster either, at least for the last 2 years. Like I said earlier, West has 1 or 2 coming in '08, however in '09 (when they'll lose the 2 Jr.s from this year), there are about 5 coming in, so they should be right back around 20 (assuming no attrition and/or transfers in or out). I believe there will be just as many coming the year after. East certainly has a bumper crop coming year after next.

I agree that West and Cherokee should be at the top of the conference, but if you don't include East, you're making a mistake. There's a lot of talent on that team - enough to win the conference if the chemistry is there. I believe this year will be just as tight as last year with the very good possibility of tournament seedings come down to coin tosses.

As far as scrimmages for West, nothing so far, but they have 2 next week (Seymour & Rutledge).

A few more scrimmage results

Cherokee 4 Virginia High 0

Science Hill 2 Cherokee 0

Powell Valley, Va. 2 Cherokee 1

Cherokee 4 Science Hill 0

Unicoi County 1 Cherokee 0

Morristown East 11 Unicoi County 2

Cherokee either shuts them out or gets shut out it seems. Got to get those bats going by regular season.

QUOTE(mowesttrojan @ Feb 28 2007 - 06:43 PM) 826393740[/snapback]My prediction for the IMAC is: MoWest

MoEast

Cherokee

Cocke

Greeneville

Jefferson

I know Jeff County is young this year, but seen them play in Heritage playday and they looked OK. They will suprise some people this year. Don't believe they will finish last in IMAC. Turley hit the ball well, pitchers did OK to be Freshman. By tournament time I would look out for them. They could be spoilers in the IMAC.

QUOTE(mwtfan @ Mar 5 2007 - 05:13 PM) 826400803[/snapback]Cocke County's schedule is now up on tssaa.org:

Hey mwtfan -- I hear West looks has more players than positions available. Who looks to be left out or is it to early to tell? Great problem to have. How do you rank the pitching after Whitehead?

I heard Greeneville had a really good freshman pitcher. Any information on her?

Sounds like Jeff has some nice young pitching developing too.