Science Hill hosts/ Dobyns Bennett travels

noonesfool

QUOTE(Know Nothing @ Mar 5 2007 - 02:16 PM) 826400607[/snapback]Basile did not play bad, he just did not get many looks. Powell definitely schemed around him in preparing for Maryville. Also, I love Basile's game, but I think he would be a better player if he lost about 10-15 pounds. He's not plump or hefty by any means, I just think he would be more dynamic if he lost a few pounds.

Basile didn't get many looks because Maryville game plan, and rightly so, was to pound it in low to Douglas and the other post players. Powell, on paper, just didn't have anybody to match up with the Red Rebels big post players.

As they say, however, the game isn't played on paper and Powell counteracted the big inside players of Maryville by shooting lights out from three point range.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to say good luck to both Science Hill and DB tonight…and a note to the seniors of these two teams, leave it all on the court!!! I'd like to see both games...but since that's not posible, I plan to go to see The Hill...and for once actually get to legitimately cheer them on /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> .

It was great to see the Big 9 cream of the crop yesterday evening …players that have been fierce competitors all year long, come together as comrades and break bread together at the Big 9 banquet. These players and coaches truly admire each other, and it’s great to see how they all get along and fellowship despite anything that has happened during the season. I’ve been fortunate to be present at several of these banquets and it is such a great idea. Hat’s off to Coach Dyer and company for what has become a celebrated event. Congratulations to Players of the Year Danielle Montgomery for the girls, and Omar Wattad for the boys. Also… kudos to Coach of the Year Coach Charlie Morgan whose teams’ success has shut a lot of mouths on here…including mine! /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

QUOTE(Cap1 @ Mar 5 2007 - 02:29 PM) 826400624[/snapback]I wanted to say good luck to both Science Hill and DB tonight…and a note to the seniors of these two teams, leave it all on the court!!! I'd like to see both games...but since that's not posible, I plan to go to see The Hill...and for once actually get to legitimately cheer them on /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> .

It was great to see the Big 9 cream of the crop yesterday evening …players that have been fierce competitors all year long, come together as comrades and break bread together at the Big 9 banquet. These players and coaches truly admire each other, and it’s great to see how they all get along and fellowship despite anything that has happened during the season. I’ve been fortunate to be present at several of these banquets and it is such a great idea. Hat’s off to Coach Dyer and company for what has become a celebrated event. Congratulations to Players of the Year Danielle Montgomery for the girls, and Omar Wattad for the boys. Also… kudos to Coach of the Year Coach Charlie Morgan whose teams’ success has shut a lot of mouths on here…including mine! /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

SH will beat Maryville easily. As I said in my other thread too fast, too big and too much Omar for Maryville

QUOTE(VolmanScott @ Mar 5 2007 - 01:28 PM) 826400536[/snapback]I know someone who knows someone who helps coach at one of the schools and I was at his house Saturday night. I watched the game with him. You guys are going to LOVE #55! Well, that is if you love Throp. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I thought YOU had the man crush on him /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

QUOTE(Cap1 @ Mar 5 2007 - 02:29 PM) 826400624[/snapback]I wanted to say good luck to both Science Hill and DB tonight…and a note to the seniors of these two teams, leave it all on the court!!! I'd like to see both games...but since that's not posible, I plan to go to see The Hill...and for once actually get to legitimately cheer them on /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> .

Wow. I had no idea that you guys had a banquet up there for the whole district. That is a terrific idea. I wish we did that in District 3AAA, or even Region 2AAA.

It's a great night to be a panther fan. I just gotta run it down. D. Hansen played his guts out tonight. Didn't put up a lot of numbers but it was obvious he was laying it all on the line and did knock down a big three early. Tyler Howell played his part well. I still can't figure out how a guy that little pulls all the rebounds that he does. Chris Connor, been stepping up for that panthers all year and certainly didn't disappoint in this game. When the panthers needed big buckets they gave it to this guy throughout the third and into the fourth. Matt Hargis, as detailed in the other board, is the fiercest competitor i've ever seen play basketball at Powell. Matt played through a broken foot against Halls this year and still hung with cam sharp on one leg. And the last guy I'm gonna mention is Jason Seymore. He's been busting his tail on the defensive end of the floor all year. He may have had a double double tonight. He knocked down big shots, big free throws, went to the @@@@ when he needed to, and pulled down big boards tonight.

Powell really played one of the worst games they have played in a while tonight. They couldn't knock down a shot from outside to save their lives, but they still faught and found a way to win. Harg, CC. and Seymore all took turns putting this team on their backs on the offensive end of the floor. I know I'm gushing but just an unbelievable effort from this team. I couldn't be happier for Coach Ogan, Coach Roberts, Gerry Dinkins Preston and that whole staff they really earned this win tonight. You know you have a special group of young men and a special talent when you don't have your A game and still beat a team like DB.

As for DB I would be completely remiss if I didn't mention 20. That kid was far and away the best player we have played against all year. Theres a lot of talk around here about cameron sharp from halls but 20 would run cirlces around him and thats not a knock on sharp just a tribute to 20. Loved his attitiude and loved his game even more, best of luck to that kid moving on.... Congrats on a solid year DB, there were a few sketchy calls and this game could have gone either way.

Go panthers and good luck in the borro, you know I'll be there.

Powell Played a terrible game that was HORRIBLY officiated both ways,

Just find it funny that every time Powell wins this years its "lucky" for them to win again, I guess they have just had a lucky year /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Interesting that both Powell fan posts on the subject congratulated DB and complimented their PG (I'm including PowellFan's on a different thread) yet no congrats from either DB poster, just excuses. Those lucky panthers, winning only because the refs forced them to. That's all I'll say on that, but congrats to both teams on great seasons. #20 for DB could play for anybody, heck of a ballplayer, just couldn't do it by himself. Panthers didn't win this game due to luck or the refs. Powell won this game because of 2 reasons: First, DB let a Powell team, which has struggled mightily all year to get rebounds, completely control the glass tonight. Second, on a night when Powell couldn't throw it in the ocean, DB stayed in man-to-man and let Hargis, Connor, and Seymore repeatedly get easy baskets with penetration and post-ups. To be honest, if Powell doesn't stay in that press for most of the first half, allowing DB to get a ton of easy buckets (give a ton of credit to DB for shredding the press), this game isn't close despite the fact that Powell played probably the worst game they played all year. Congrats to the DB players and coaches on a great season. Tons of effort and heart, just wasn't your guys night. Good luck to the Panthers in the Murf. You guys earned it on a night when you didn't have your A game, which is the mark of a great team.

What can you say bad about #20, If he was a little bit taller he would be going to a good college, I only saw him play tonight so I honestly dont know if it was just tonight or not, but I tell you what. That kid made some amazing moves and buckets.

Im not worried about people dogging POwell its been all year. You have to show respect to a team Like DB cause we have a handful coming up next week when we see Oakland thats gonna be a tuff tuff game.