Tournament format is awful

nebuntyn

I originally asked the question about whether the tournaments of 12aa would come out or not financially. We had to go to McNairy and play the tournaments....I heard because nobody else wanted it. I hear that most of the time the schools loose money.....and have to go back and ask the participating schools to kick in and make up the difference. I understand the TSSAA gets 18 percent of the door and the two teams split the rest....... the host school takes all from the concessions ( is that correct?).

It just didn't make any sense to me that all the district had to go to the very south end of the distrist to play.....everybody will make more money if it's at a central location. I don't understand the logic of this.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(backinthaoc @ Mar 4 2007 - 06:38 PM) 826399752[/snapback]A team that loses three times AFTER the regular season ends has no business being crowned a state champion.....

Has this ever happened? A team losing 3 time and winning a championship?

QUOTE(P.A.Lin-Z @ Mar 4 2007 - 07:26 PM) 826399814[/snapback]I originally asked the question about whether the tournaments of 12aa would come out or not financially. We had to go to McNairy and play the tournaments....I heard because nobody else wanted it. I hear that most of the time the schools loose money.....and have to go back and ask the participating schools to kick in and make up the difference. I understand the TSSAA gets 18 percent of the door and the two teams split the rest....... the host school takes all from the concessions ( is that correct?).

It just didn't make any sense to me that all the district had to go to the very south end of the distrist to play.....everybody will make more money if it's at a central location. I don't understand the logic of this.

It is up to the districts to decide where they play. Some districts are able to pick a central location and stick with it over the years but most feel that is too big an advantage for that host school. Then, once you start moving it, every school wants to host regardless of location to keep from giving up that advantage. The "if you get it, we get it" scenario. Small colleges are not as receptive as they used to be to hosting. College teams and students don't like giving up their gyms.

QUOTE(coacht @ Mar 4 2007 - 07:49 PM) 826399839[/snapback]It is up to the districts to decide where they play. Some districts are able to pick a central location and stick with it over the years but most feel that is too big an advantage for that host school. Then, once you start moving it, every school wants to host regardless of location to keep from giving up that advantage. The "if you get it, we get it" scenario. Small colleges are not as receptive as they used to be to hosting. College teams and students don't like giving up their gyms.

Yeah....I understand that it's the districts that make the decisions on where to have it. I think the problem here is that nobody wants it....because it's such a money loser. Now when you have the crowds that Bolivar has had the past few years.....it's a different story. I may be speaking out of turn on this though....maybe there is someone that knows more about it than I do.

I can't imagine Lexington not making money last year at their place....you had Liberty, Bolivar, and even Lexington doing fairly good....and those teams were close by. Waverly didn't have anywhere close to the crowds that Lexington did.

I also want to say that the folks at Waverly did an outstanding job at puting on the tournament there.....very professional.

I enjoyed it.

QUOTE(backinthaoc @ Mar 4 2007 - 08:38 PM) 826399752[/snapback]A team that loses three times AFTER the regular season ends has no business being crowned a state champion.....

I heard the 12AA tournament was held at McNairy because they have the biggest gym. I heard they did not want to turn a buch of people away like they did a couple of times last year.

there are 2 Class A sectionals 4 Class AA sectionals and 2 Class AAA containing teams west of the river those 6 games in a format like the state tournament would be one great day of hoops but the only downside is that the teams that win their region dont get the homecourt advantage

QUOTE(athomp54 @ Mar 5 2007 - 10:41 AM) 826400417[/snapback]why does mtsu get football and basketball. why can't basketball go to vandy, belmont, lipscomb, tsu, or GEC

MTSU is the most logical place. They have a nice facility...and they are centrally located.

QUOTE(backinthaoc @ Mar 4 2007 - 11:04 AM) 826399262[/snapback]I like the way Kentucky does it.....They can do the way they do because they have no classifications,I'm not sure I want to go that far with Tennessee's format though....For example in Western Kentucky,they are about to start their regional tournament at Murray State..They bring the top two teams from four districts to a centralized location and do a blind draw and seed them....With that though,you have a team like Mayfield,who is a 1A size school competing with the likes of Marshall County and Paducah Tighlman...Marshall County HS has over 1300 students....I'm not real sure about the fairness in all of that...They make up for it I guess by staging what they call an All A Tournament in the middle of the season...All of the state's 1A teams play in what in essence is a state tournament in the middle of the season....I like the idea that you only have 1 second chance..If you lose in the regionals you are gone,whether it be in the 1st round or championship game....Then the winners of the 16 regions meet in Lexington to play their Sweet 16 State Tournament at Rupp Arena..They will have between 20 and 24,000 in attendance on their championship Saturday....Trenton Peabody is in a position to play for a state title this year after already losing three times in the post-season ...If they were to meet Humboldt they would be playing a team they have already lost to 5 times this season and actually lose four times and be state runner-up...... /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

ya the kentucky format is great.. the excitement for every game is a lot greater