Travis Henry

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like Travis was star struck and glad to become a Bronco. This is the only non move by the Titans that has me guessing. All the others weren't worth it but this upsets me. We're going to take our lumps this year I'm afraid. I just hope it's worth the wait.

New Broncos Henry, Graham Dreaming Big

By PAT GRAHAM

AP Sports Writer

Published March 12, 2007

Travis Henry has arrived in Denver with some lofty ambitions in mind. But the newly signed Broncos tailback prefers to keep his rushing goals private, at least for now.

"I'll let it out soon," Henry said with a smile. "I want to put up numbers like T.D. (Terrell Davis) did when he was here."

Henry, who signed a five-year deal with Denver on March 5 with $12 million in guaranteed bonuses, is setting the bar high. Davis rushed for 1,538 yards in 1996, 1,750 in '97 and 2,008 in '98.

"My main thing is coming in ready to tote the load and keep the legacy going," Henry said. "It's a challenge knowing that every back that they've had has gone over 1,000 yards."

Henry was in town with tight end Daniel Graham for a meet-and-greet Monday afternoon. Graham recently signed a five-year deal that includes $15 million in guaranteed money.

Henry and Graham weren't the only moves Denver made in the offseason. The Broncos picked up cornerback Dre' Bly in a trade with Detroit, and defensive lineman Dan Wilkinson in a deal with Miami. The team also signed offensive lineman Montrae Holland and fullback Paul Smith, and reportedly agreed to terms with backup quarterback Patrick Ramsey. Those players were not in attendance Monday.

Wide receiver Quincy Morgan, acquired during the 2006 season from Pittsburgh to boost the team's kickoff yardage, also re-signed Monday.

"The club has been extremely busy over the last few weeks in trying to improve this football team going into 2007," Broncos general manager Ted Sundquist said. "We're going to use every avenue we can to improve."

The Broncos dropped the season finale to San Francisco last season and snapped a three-year string of postseason appearances.

Henry would love nothing more than to help Denver get back into the postseason, a place he's never been in six seasons. Graham, on the other hand, has made the playoffs four of the last five seasons with New England, winning two Super Bowl titles.

Both players cited Denver's winning tradition as reasons why they signed with the Broncos.

"Denver is a team that every year is a contender," said Henry, who rushed for 1,211 yards last season for Tennessee. "That's one thing I looked at."

Graham just wanted to come home. He played high school football in Denver and starred at the University of Colorado. Graham's father, Tom, was a linebacker with Denver from 1972-74.

"In my heart, I always wanted to come back here," Graham said. "They made it happen."

Yet there is a drawback playing so close to home.

"I think about the 1,000 tickets I'm about to be asked (for)," Graham said with a grin.

Graham said he was frustrated with his role in New England, but accepted it for the good of the team. He had 120 catches in five seasons with the Patriots, but was considered a blocking tight end.

"I'm looking forward to extending my role more," Graham said.

Sundquist said the reason the Broncos were drawn to Henry was his ability to explode through a hole.

"He runs with authority, a guy that can bring ... authority back to our running game," Sundquist said. "Travis is a proven rusher in this league."

Henry still can't believe he's in Denver, where the Broncos have produced a 1,000-yard running back in 11 of the 12 seasons that coach Mike Shanahan has been in charge.

"Chill bumps went all through my body," Henry said when he discovered Denver's interest in him. "I just knew I wanted to be a part of it."

Henry said Denver's one-cut and go system is made for him.

"I break a lot of tackles," he said. "I run up in there and can get out of certain things that most backs can't. I just run hard the whole game. With this scheme, it's going to fit well."

His next order of business will be to try to pry away No. 20 from fellow Denver running back Mike Bell. Henry wore dog tags Monday emblazoned with diamonds and a No. 20 in the middle. It's his good-luck number.

"I'm going to offer him like 10 grand," Henry said. "Hopefully that will be enough. Whatever it takes. I'm just used to having '2-0' on my back."

Before signing with Denver, Henry had heard nothing but glowing remarks from Broncos tailback Damien Nash, who died in his suburban St. Louis home Feb. 24 after playing in a basketball tournament that raised money for heart transplant research.

The two were teammates and friends while with the Titans.

"He was a good guy," Henry said. "It's sad to see something (like that) happen."