Science Hill and Dobbins will advance easily

MaxusHRKing

CAP1 ..... Just a few comments on your post....

Regarding Omar.... Nice player...stepped up in the end and almost won it single handedly for JCSH. Regarding cheap fouls....you can cry that all you want and maybe one could have went uncalled but Omar was getting away with pushing off when he had the ball all night. Yep ....Maryville had a couple of those also but let me assure you those are typically called and they were not last night.

Maryville is very athletic and deep at guard. I understand that JCSH is a pressing team but Maryville has been destoying teams that press them all year. IMO the coach NOT coming out of the press after Maryville repeatedly beat it was a major factor in the outcome of the game. My guess is one of the following....your coach did a poor job of scouting Maryville, or he underestimated Maryville's guard play and ball handling ability, or he would not accept the fact that Maryville was at least as athletic as his team. With the exception of DB I doubt JCSH has played a team with the ability to hang with them in every phase of the game as Maryville did.

On #50....possibly his best game so far this year but his effort is always there. On #5.....not his best but he played OK. He was money at the FT line down the stretch. On #2... you are correct, he is sneaky quick and much faster than he appears. He was electronically timed at the UT football camp last summer at 4.39.

Keys to the game... Certainly getting Omar out in the 1st half with foul trouble. I thought Maryville missed an opportunity to take the lead out to 10 or 12 points by the half and when they didn't I thought it was obviously going to be contested by the end or before. JCSH making most of their free throws. Maryville hitting the FT's the last minute of the game. Maryville having only one turnoverversus the JCSH press.

Maryville appeared to have a more concerted effort on the boards.....an area they have lacked at times this year. Douglass has always been agressive on the boards but I thougth Maples and Dameron did much better rebounding.

Coaching.....Eldridge adjusting well last night coming out in a man....maybe a surprise to JCSH.....then going into a zone that obviously JCSH struggled against at times...then going fullcort man to man at the end. I thought Eldridge out coached the JCSH coach last night.

Refs.....typical highschool. Maryville got some advantages in the first half and JCSH got them in the second half. The charge call early in the forth against Basile was bad but again...typical HS refs. The one thing I most liked about the refs was they let them play to an extent. I thought that was more benefical to Maryville with a physically stronger team.

For teams that have not went against this years Maryville team they may surprise you. They can play virtually every aspect of the game....slow down with two big post players.....excellent pressing and pressure defense with quick and deep guard play. Can play the up tempo or be deliberate. They can shoot the threes though against the JCSH defense they got few opportunities last night. Maryville's achillies heal is they will get out of control at times. If they are able to stay under control they are very good team.

IMO the key moment for Maryville last night was in the forth they went down by two, the first time being behind all night, and immediately tied the score and begin building the lead again.

JCSH had a great and vocal crowd. Great to see that support for your program and an envy for many Maryville fans and players. I thought it was a great game to watch and an even better atmosphere for HS basketball.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few thoughts from the MHS/Science Hill game:

Maryville seems like a tough team to scout. They really don't have that one guy that seems to be their "go to" guy, although I guess Basile would be the guy if you had to choose. But looking at their boxscores, they have had several different guys with big scoring games this year. It presents a problem in trying to determine how to defend them.

After watching the Science Hill game ,I agree with MLREB that pressing Maryville is a bad idea. Maryville's guards looked like blurs going through the Science Hill press time and time again, especially Maples. Science Hill did a good job of limiting Maryville's three point looks but I am not sure it was worth it. By doing so, driving lanes to the basket were wide open and Maryville has some good slashers and finishers in traffic.

Douglas was incredible. I don't know if I have ever seen a high school player as strong as he is and he is just a junior. Science Hill had no answer for him. He looked like a man among boys.

Wattad put on an incredible show in the last minute of the game. Those three 3-pointers he hit were bigtime. He barely missed the last shot from halfcourt.

It was a great game.

QUOTE(GovMan @ Mar 6 2007 - 10:09 AM) 826401918[/snapback]Has anyone heard from MaxusHRKing? He must be out at batting practice or something.

I never expected the refs to effectt he games like they did. I can tell you this at the Boro

there will be the best refs and you and Powell won't stand a chance. Wait and see what happens when

Maryville faces Oglesby and his supporting cast. It won't be a pretty sight. Don't embarass yourself

Maryville and Powell fans and stay home this time for sure. Mark my words and refs won't even matter

this time. Add Lee Humphrey to Maryville and Lofton to Powell and you still lose.

QUOTE(MaxusHRKing @ Mar 7 2007 - 07:22 AM) 826403143[/snapback]I never expected the refs to effectt he games like they did. I can tell you this at the Boro

there will be the best refs and you and Powell won't stand a chance. Wait and see what happens when

Maryville faces Oglesby and his supporting cast. It won't be a pretty sight. Don't embarass yourself

Maryville and Powell fans and stay home this time for sure. Mark my words and refs won't even matter

this time. Add Lee Humphrey to Maryville and Lofton to Powell and you still lose.

Who licked the RED off your sucker! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

I agree wholeheartedly with the coaching aspect. Did Cutlip not watch the Powell film? Did he ever think about playing some zone or is he just not willing to make the adjustment that might have allowed him to win. Also, great point on not attacking Maryville's zone. I don't mean take it all the way in but at least make sure Omar touches it every possession in the high post area. The weak spot in Maryville's zone is in the 15 foot range unless you have outstanding 3 point shooters. Attack the zone, but don't take it all the way in unless you can draw fouls on Douglas. Damron was pretty much a non-factor on offense, and he has the capabilities to score 25.

guess i am used to the glory days of SH being coached by pitts. SH doesnt seem to push the tempo as much as they use to. big man douglas was tired at times but SH couldnt take advantage. Never have seen a SH team hold the ball so much. oh wait, except that time against tenn high when they held it for a full overtime period....

QUOTE(MaxusHRKing @ Mar 5 2007 - 02:55 PM) 826400667[/snapback]92% pick SH to beat Maryville on Coacht. Maryville save yourself a trip and don't come. You will be sorry for the thrashing they give you. Too fast , too big and too much Omar.

Powell 70% pick over Dobbins is a joke. Dobbins will win easily.

This guy needs to shut his mouth. Maybe he needs to quit making the trip to his computer to put these stupid useless false comments on this board.

QUOTE(MaxusHRKing @ Mar 7 2007 - 07:22 AM) 826403143[/snapback]I never expected the refs to effectt he games like they did. I can tell you this at the Boro

Maryville beat Science Hill, who beat Dobyns Bennett, who beat Greeneville, who beat Bradley Central. LOL. You know, I kind of like Maryville's chances.

As for Powell, the officiating had nothing to do with the fact that Powell played maybe it's worst game of the year and still won. It was not the refs fault that D-B could not make free throws and point blank lay-ups.

Oakland and Bradley Central will have their hands full. There is no dominant team in the state this year. It is up for grabs!!!! But I'm thinking White's Creek vs. Powell for the Championship.