Homerun Hitters - Beech Playday

mamabear

The Weeklys have there choice of players right now. if you look on rivals .com you will see eight girls have verbally committed to UT in 2008. The most in the whole country. My question is who are they going to replace? The five or six the signed this year? Now that UT is in the top 5 every year, they pretty have their choice in who they want. So if you go remember you are only as good as your last at bat or pitch. There is no such thing as a four year scholorship, they run for one year at a time. That is why some transfer after a year, or asked not to come back. Some of the girls are realizing that this year. But don't blame the program, when you are number one in the country, you are going to have the best of the best trying to go there, it becomes a business at this level. All the top programs have to do this to stay at the top. So if your DD is thinking of going, be sure you know what their roles are going to be. Some girls just want to be part of a top rated program and go to a good school. But remember this also, there is a travel squad, if you are not part of the travel squad you stay home.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(softballscout @ Mar 14 2007 - 08:10 AM) 826411202[/snapback]The Weeklys have there choice of players right now. if you look on rivals .com you will see eight girls have verbally committed to UT in 2008. The most in the whole country. My question is who are they going to replace? The five or six the signed this year? Now that UT is in the top 5 every year, they pretty have their choice in who they want. So if you go remember you are only as good as your last at bat or pitch. There is no such thing as a four year scholorship, they run for one year at a time. That is why some transfer after a year, or asked not to come back. Some of the girls are realizing that this year. But don't blame the program, when you are number one in the country, you are going to have the best of the best trying to go there, it becomes a business at this level. All the top programs have to do this to stay at the top. So if your DD is thinking of going, be sure you know what their roles are going to be. Some girls just want to be part of a top rated program and go to a good school. But remember this also, there is a travel squad, if you are not part of the travel squad you stay home.

Yes, what you say is true. They pretty much tell you what your role will be. They are upfront. Thing is, you have to make the grades too. You have to have the desire and work ethic. Top schools like Alabama and Tennessee give students all the free tutors you want, they can even make sure you go to class, and give you required study halls but they cannot do the work for you. You dont make the grades - you dont play. You dont follow the rules -you dont play. There are several reasons players leave after one year. Some have to do with reasons on the field, most have to do with things off the field.

QUOTE(sftbal4lfe @ Mar 17 2007 - 10:02 PM) 826415782[/snapback]just wanted to add that the homeruns didnt count for this season seeing as that playday was preseason.. season didnt start until 3/13

There sure is a lot of jealousy on this board....seems like there's a lot of parents just pulling for their own daughters instead of being happy to see all kids having some success. Remember, this is a game for the kids, not the parents!

I think people get tired of posts like "Who is the best centerfielder among teams in West Knoxville that wear green and orange uniforms?", when it has to be one person and they just want people to talk about the player. If you want to talk about a player, go ahead and name them, don't ask other people's opinions.

QUOTE(swingaway @ Mar 17 2007 - 06:34 AM) 826415140[/snapback]They pretty much tell you what your role will be. They are upfront.

If you truly believe that I have some swamp land I need to talk with you about. Being up front with what your roll will be is not at all what goes on in general with recruiting. Telling you what it takes to get you there is what happens and once there things change signigicantly. I think that in the recruiting process a player should be told come to school here, show us what you have and if you earn a spot then you will play. Blind promises make for ill will. You have to be given an opportunity to show your talents.

[Duhhh.... I mean really, do you honestly think a top D-I team player isnt going to be expected to perform. Top colleges play their best no doubt, but colleges will pretty much tell you how they think you will fit into the picture. The problem with Tennessee girls is that they do not prepare properly in order to play in the SEC or for that matter the OVC or even Sunbelt conferences. You have to go up against the best in the country A LOT in order to be ready for what you will face in college.

QUOTE(swingaway @ Mar 18 2007 - 01:29 AM) 826416035[/snapback][Duhhh.... I mean really, do you honestly think a top D-I team player isnt going to be expected to perform. Top colleges play their best no doubt, but colleges will pretty much tell you how they think you will fit into the picture. The problem with Tennessee girls is that they do not prepare properly in order to play in the SEC or for that matter the OVC or even Sunbelt conferences. You have to go up against the best in the country A LOT in order to be ready for what you will face in college.

I think all Colleges expect 100% from their players, not just the DI programs. Also Ms "Swingaway" not all Tennessee Girls get to choose a program out of their school zone so they can prepare properly.

Swingaway & std have both made some valid points here. The truth is that coaches are just like anyone else. Some are up front about what they expect from a player before entering a program & some are not. My daughter plays D-1 softball & her coach was very up front about what he expected from her. On the other hand, Sarah Fekete who graduated from UT last year is a classic example of a prospect who was not told what to expect up front from her college coach. SHE HAD NEVER BATTED FROM THE LEFT SIDE IN HER LIFE BEFORE GOING TO UT. Ralph Weekly handed her a video tape of slap hitting & told her to learn it or she was OUT! It did make for ill will but to her credit, she had the work ethic and the drive to succeed and she made herself into the D-1 batting avg. champion last year as a lefty slap hitter. Different kids do leave programs for a variety of reasons such as grades, behavior issues, or lack of playing time and some kids just don't have the work ethic to succeed at that level. I believe that the best things you can do to prepare your child for playing in college is playing ASA gold softball where you're facing the best competition in the country, which only makes them better and letting your child know that once you have the opportunity to play in college, you must make good grades and know that whatever sport you play, it's more like a job in college. You must stay dedicated to it or you will not succeed.