Head Coaches who are not teachers...

VBallsportsfan

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(VBallsportsfan @ Mar 21 2007 - 10:08 AM) 826419348[/snapback]Can you please share with me if you have a "head" basketball coach at your school who is not a teacher or administrator at your High School.

By TSSAA rule there should be very few in basketball or football. A coach has to be a licensed teacher within the school district, the only exception can be if it is a a retired educator who has coached 5 or more years or there are no applicants for the job that are licensed educators.

I know that the boys coach at Lawrence Co and White Creeks boys coach, Nollner fall into the category of retired teachers that only coach.

QUOTE(hopalot @ Mar 21 2007 - 10:35 AM) 826419368[/snapback]I believe Centennial Girls Bbk coach is not an employee of the school or system.

There are more than you think, particularly i'd say in the private school sector.

are you sure about that? if the coach doesnt teach or anything at centenial what a bout a middle school close by? sometimes there is not a postion at the highs chool and until they get one they might coach at another school in the system

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ Mar 21 2007 - 10:44 AM) 826419380[/snapback]are you sure about that? if the coach doesnt teach or anything at centenial what a bout a middle school close by? sometimes there is not a postion at the highs chool and until they get one they might coach at another school in the system

Remember that the person can be a retired educator, and all it takes to quailify is 5 years of experienced to be a retired educator. So that might be the case with some of these coaches.

You do not have to work at the school system.

Also you do not have to have been a asst. coach for 5 years or retired.

Just take the classes and you can be a coach.

the 5 years thing you guys keep thinking of is: The coach must take the class with in 5 years of getting the job. HOWEVER a 50$ per year fine will be charged each year to the school until the coach completes it.

You don't hire someone to coach only.All of the coaches I had while in school also taught. For example, the head baseball coach taught World Geography. The head football coah taught Driver's Ed. The conditioning coach for the football team taught Lifetime Wellness. One of the assistants in baseball taught economics.

my bad, i looked in the wrong section. I read:

RULE 10 – All coaches must be approved by the principal, superintendent, and/or local board of

education. Any coach who is not a full-time employee of the school system and does not possess a

teacher’s certificate or the equivalent or is not a retired educator must attend the TSSAA Coaches

Training Session within his or her first year of assuming the position. A fine of $50.00 will be assessed

to the school if the coach does not attend and he or she will be required to attend the next available

meeting. All non-faculty coaches must complete the NFHS Coaches Education Program in a TSSAA-

approved course within five years of assuming the position.

Schools must submit the names of all non-faculty coaches to the state office each year. A school must

pay an annual registration fee of $40.00 per coach. The maximum fee for a school to register non-

faculty coaches will be $100.00 per year.

QUOTE(champion13 @ Mar 21 2007 - 09:40 PM) 826419864[/snapback]my bad, i looked in the wrong section. I read:

RULE 10 – All coaches must be approved by the principal, superintendent, and/or local board of

education. Any coach who is not a full-time employee of the school system and does not possess a

teacher’s certificate or the equivalent or is not a retired educator must attend the TSSAA Coaches

Training Session within his or her first year of assuming the position. A fine of $50.00 will be assessed

to the school if the coach does not attend and he or she will be required to attend the next available

meeting. All non-faculty coaches must complete the NFHS Coaches Education Program in a TSSAA-

approved course within five years of assuming the position.

Schools must submit the names of all non-faculty coaches to the state office each year. A school must

pay an annual registration fee of $40.00 per coach. The maximum fee for a school to register non-

faculty coaches will be $100.00 per year.

The rule varies depending on the sport. Check http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/handbook.pdf and check pages 9 and 10.

It says:

Coaches

Section 9. All coaches will fall under one of the following categories:

1. Full-time employee (a minimum of 100 school days) of a board of education with a Tennessee state teaching license or the equivalent.

2. Retired educator (five or more years' experience) with a valid Tennessee state teaching license or the equivalent.

3. Non-faculty coach - - Anyone approved by the principal, superintendent, and/or local board of education in the normal course of employment procedures in accordance with applicable state law. All non-faculty coaches shall be submitted to the state office annually. Use of a non-faculty coach who has not met all the requirements listed below or who has not been submitted to the state office shall result in a fine of $500.00.

A. The position shall be advertised and no full-time employee with a teaching license who meets the qualifications required for coaching the specific sport in question is available.

B. Head coaches in football, basketball, baseball, girls' softball, and track and field must be full-time employees or a retired educator (see #1 and #2 above).

I do not see how this can be misunderstood, it sounds very clear. Minor sports like tennis and volleyball, etc allow non-faculty coaches, but that should not be the norm.

QUOTE(champion13 @ Mar 21 2007 - 09:56 PM) 826419895[/snapback]No misunderstand, i just misread. I looked up the middle school rule, just in the wrong section of the tssaa handbook =p

I was not referring to you, but just how many different beliefs we had on this board about the rule, when it is so easily found on the website.